IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Round 2
Well, I read the article, I was hoping to see an interresting point of view but well, I didn't find one ...

When I first started to post in those religion and politics section, I wanted to present certain ideas that may help people who don't live in the west how we muslims see the world.

Do muslims have idealogical issues, yes, but who doesn't ...

Did Dr. Wafa even come near those issues, or tried to address them in a way that will get her respect, nope, sorry, she didn't

Why do some westerns seem to like her words? the only answer I can think of, they don't have the time to really learn about islamic idealogical debates and they like to hear someone blaming islam.

First lets take few quotes from the article and compare them...

quote 1: Dr. Sultan bitterly criticized the Muslim clerics, holy warriors and political leaders who she believes have distorted the teachings of Muhammad and the Koran for 14 centuries

quote 2: She said she no longer practiced Islam. "I am a secular human being," she said.

Now, Dr. Wafa is a psychiatrist, there was nothing in the article that suggest she studied islam thouroughly, and no being a devout mulim (assuming she truely was) doesn't make you an authority to interprete islam.

Islam been around for more than a 1000 years, many schools of though came and went away, the islamic religious leterature is huge, the history is huge, how much does she know about it, what does she think of the Mutazalite school for example, they were famed to only rely on logic to interprete islam

Then she says she is not muslim anymore, if she isn't why is she worried about wrong interpretation, assuming she took the time to learn different interpretations compare them and then suggest, what went wrong.

Islam turned the arabs into a force not to be ignored, islam kingdom at its prime ruled a region from spain to india.

Islam created value, for a long long time.

Then muslims started to power and ... here we are now. At the bottom of the power ladder.

What went wrong, is it certain ideas, maybe, this is a very interesting reasearch, and any scholar who comes up with theories about that will be pretty much respected in the muslim world, even if he opposed traditional interpretation of the script.

You see, there is not real problem in opposing the script, you can, and as long as you present your arguments decently, and showing good will.

Dr. Wafa is doing neither. When I read somethig like:

she said. "At that point, I lost my trust in their god and began to question all our teachings. It was the turning point of my life, and it has led me to this present point. I had to leave. I had to look for another god."

I think, ohhhh really, this is like someone saying I started looking of another Jesus, because he saw KKK biggot killing a black guy, this is exactly the same. How seriously would you take this guy.

Did a single muslim, accuse christianity of breeding KKK people of breeding racist. No.

We in the middle east have a better understanding today, more than ever of what really went wrong.

Yes we do have idealogical issues, and yes they dont get much attention, and its mainly because, Muslim clerics don't have as much freedom as they should, not the opposite.

We need more freedom for muslim clerics, this is the only way to bring those idealogical issues to surface, and hopefully solve them. We need to put those ideas to test, this is the only way, muslims will learn what works and what wont.

I quote:"Knowledge has released me from this backward thinking. Somebody has to help free the Muslim people from these wrong beliefs."

What knowledge, and what wrong beliefs, be specific please, what are you arguing about, your not even muslim, are you trying to encourage muslims not to be muslim, what is she trying to do, and the editor of this article, whats your intention, dont you know, many ppl know nothing about islam, what will they think when they read this, this is twisting the fact, this is not honest, this is evil

And lets go back to the knowledge bit, what knowledge is she talkin about, seriously, is she talkin economic policies, or social policies, or politics or what, and what does she knows about islams point of view on this, and how is it wrong, this is rubbish

Anyway, as far as I care she doesn't seem like a knowledgeable person, and she adds nothing of value.

I wont recommend taking her seriously, she is playing on emotions that are only popular in the west. She doesn't offer logical debates.

What else, heh, the jewel of the article,
"Only the Muslims defend their beliefs by burning down churches, killing people and destroying embassies. This path will not yield any results. The Muslims must ask themselves what they can do for humankind, before they demand that humankind respect them."

And how are israel and america defending their believes, invading countries, killing ppl, supporting tyrants in under developed countries, syria is one, or used to be one, Dr. Wafa your secular tyrant, got where he was using support from the west, he used this support to kill freedom in your country

And, no muslims dont, some muslims do, on the opposite hand, america as a whole is invading iraq, israel as a whole is oppressing the palestanians, so ... what u see some muslims doing, is actually the result of ignoranc and poverty, which is the result of secular tyrant leaders, not religious leaders.

A problem is, all those other problems muslims have, really shadows any idealogical debate, who cares what women should wear, when you can be imprisoned and tortured without a trial, and this is in part the true essence of the problem.

We have a belief and the west have a belief, we got issue with our own believes, but facing the issues we have with those other believes, our own issues are burried deep down the surfaces.

I know, maybe, wasn't very clear but, well .... I think, God willing, I will have the chance to elaborate latter ....
New You're shooting the messenger.
It's a type of argument called [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem|ad hominem]. You're attacking Wafa's right to criticize rather than the opinion she puts forth.

I think most of us in the West believe that everyone should be able to express their opinions about anything and the strength of the argument determines the 'victor in the battle of ideas'. Peaceniks who have never been in the military can criticize the Pentagon and the war. Mothers can criticize the nuclear power industry. Everyone can criticize the schools. And atheists can criticize Islam, Catholicism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. If only "experts" can criticize something, then society breaks down. Instead of a society based on consensus of the governed, you'd end up with a small dictatorial elite deciding orthodoxy. I don't ever want to see that. I also don't want to ever live in a society where people are killed or threatened with death for their criticism.

Your closing reminded me of a story I heard on the radio about inshallah. I can't find a link, but [link|http://strengthandhonor.typepad.com/captaink/2005/09/fighting_gods_w.html|this] covers the topic pretty well. "God willing" is a rare expression here. We have a tradition that "God helps those who help themselves". :-)

Salaam.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Oh, and speaking of "God's Will" (new thread)
Created as new thread #247991 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=247991|Oh, and speaking of "God's Will"]
New Be careful.
The kind of argument you're making means that, by your rules, I can ignore everything you say because your English isn't as good as mine.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New The women is a flamer
No but you can ignore anything I say about diets because I am not a nutrition expert, even if what I say turns out to be true, you actually better listen a nutrition expert first, and even if what I say makes sense, because you never really know ... I wouldn't risk my health like that.

You should probably also ignore anything I about USA, if all I did was flaming, and not giving facts or showing a sense of reason

You can also ignore all I say, if I speak so loud, that it's hard to listen, even if I was speaking the best wisdom ever.

In other words, you are allowed to criticize and even be emotional about it, but in the end you have to have a nice balance of (1) credibility and reputation (2) give me content, fact (3) try to be nice it will help me listen

I didn't only critize her ways, I also gave valid arguments against few of her quotes. So no, I disagree with Scott, I didnt rip her of her right to critize.

She is a flamer, she played on your emotions and you fell for it.
New Re: The women is a flamer
It's quite simple. In terms of engaging in realistic debate on the world stage, the adherents of fundamentalist Islam have no credibility whatsoever.

The reasons for this are manifold, but a large part of it comes down to being unwilling to engage with the cultures where Muslims live on their terms. Take, for example, the recent Danish cartoons furore: Muslims the world over were quite literally demanding the death of the cartoonists. To a liberal, secular, modernist chap like me, that is worse - much worse - than the original cartoons. It's primitive, it's immature and it's intolerant. (Tolerance is underrated. It's what lets us live together without killing each other.)

It seems that every time someone tries to state the case for Islam being a tolerant, merciful, peaceful religion, there's someone on al-Jazeera wearing a ski-mask, stood in front of a banner that says "Allah Akhbar" or similar, about to cut off someone's head with a bread knife.

I know there are moderate Muslims out there. But because they're moderate, their voice isn't heard.

Islam, as it is currently practiced, is a violent, intolerant religion that is easily subverted for political ends.

[Anecdote: recently, there was a story here in the UK about a growing demand for Sharia law to be allowed in various parts of the north of England. My response is quite simple: "if you don't like the law of the land, go find a land whose law you DO like". I suspect that the kinds of places that have Sharia law in place also don't have an NHS, safe streets, a generous welfare system, working public transport and cable TV, which is why the people in (say) Bradford who are clamouring for Sharia won't simply bugger off to a place that has it, like northern Nigeria.]

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Personally I dont think Islam itself is the problem
Its the people that practice it.

I have spent hours discussing the Koran with Saudi beleivers. One comes to mind, he would no sooner kill an infidel than eat with his left hand unless attacked of course.

The problem is the same problem that fundamental christianity has, who or what determins what an Imam or Pastor derives religious authority from. This is self appointed which lets those who are good at memorizing passages but dumber than stumps in logically defining and applying the religious message to the daily problems of life and politics. Add to that image, clerics that feel killing people who disagree with them is perfectly acceptable and holy. This creates a climate of fear in the population of believers.

Adding to this problm is the agressive proslytising by groups that believe in a cult of death and rigidity. These groups are cynically used by poitical heads of Arab states to manipulate their citizens and to promote discord among their populations abroad.

This will lead Allah to turn his favor from the Arab people and to allow others of his flock to prosper in their stead.

Feel free to discuss any ideas in here, thats what this board is for and maybe you will make a difference,
peace
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New The problem with Islam (and Judaism)
is the fact that they are both universalist religion. Separation of Church and State in Christianity can be easily derived from very basic texts. Judaism and, to even higher extent, Islam, assume that there can be no authority outside religious authority, that there can be no law outside of God-given law.

It took 2000 years of hard knocks to teach Jews to live in secular world. Muslims had no such experience.

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

New And Islam is still searching for the concept of a paragraph.
Having

gotten

beyond

single

word

lines.
     Dr. Wafa Sultan stands up for reason on Al Jazerra - (Another Scott) - (12)
         Courageous lady! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             And the fundie right-wing whackjobs as well - (jb4)
         Round 2 - (systems) - (8)
             You're shooting the messenger. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Oh, and speaking of "God's Will" (new thread) - (Another Scott)
             Be careful. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 The women is a flamer - (systems) - (1)
                     Re: The women is a flamer - (pwhysall)
             Personally I dont think Islam itself is the problem - (boxley) - (1)
                 The problem with Islam (and Judaism) - (Arkadiy)
             And Islam is still searching for the concept of a paragraph. - (ChrisR)
         Los Angles Times article - (Andrew Grygus)

Whatever they're promising, I promise the same - plus a pony.
54 ms