IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good point. s/extremely//
I was specifically thinking of later comparisons of the King James translation to ancient Greek versions and the Dead Sea Scrolls, but I may be misremembering things. There's no doubt that many translations suffer from the political bent of the translators, and there were battles in the early Christian church over what should be included in the New Testament.

I think some texts do come down very faithfully, like the [link|http://aish.com/holidays/shavuot/last/text.htm|Torah] and the Quran. I'd be very surprised if the Vedas changed much after they were written down. These texts seem to be more resistant to change than the Christian Bible(s).

Cheers,
Scott.
New More on translations.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/04/AR2006030401369_pf.html|Washington Post]:

For the next 12 years, [Bart Ehrman] studied at Moody, at Wheaton College (another Christian institution in Illinois) and finally at Princeton Theological Seminary. He found he had a gift for languages. His specialty was the ancient texts that tried to explain what actually happened to Jesus Christ, and how the world's largest religion grew into being after his execution.

What he found there began to frighten him.

The Bible simply wasn't error-free. The mistakes grew exponentially as he traced translations through the centuries. There are some 5,700 ancient Greek manuscripts that are the basis of the modern versions of the New Testament, and scholars have uncovered more than 200,000 differences in those texts.

"Put it this way: There are more variances among our manuscripts than there are words in the New Testament," Ehrman summarizes.

Most of these are inconsequential errors in grammar or metaphor. But others are profound. The last 12 verses of the Gospel of Mark appear to have been added to the text years later -- and these are the only verses in that book that show Christ reappearing after his death.

Another critical passage is in 1 John, which explicitly sets out the Holy Trinity (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit). It is a cornerstone of Christian theology, and this is the only place where it is spelled out in the entire Bible -- but it appears to have been added to the text centuries later, by an unknown scribe.

For a man who believed the Bible was the inspired Word of God, Ehrman sought the true originals to shore up his faith. The problem: There are no original manuscripts of the Gospels, of any of the New Testament.

[...]

Bart Ehrman is author of [link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060738170/sr=8-1/qid=1141568823/102-0440220-5035356|Misquoting Jesus]. The WP story is a long article on him and the book.

Cheers,
Scott.
     I don't doubt your faith, but it's not for me. - (Another Scott) - (16)
         Not that careful. - (admin) - (5)
             Good point. s/extremely// - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 More on translations. - (Another Scott)
             The problem with the search for the historical Jesus... - (ChrisR) - (2)
                 As a wise man once said - (drewk) - (1)
                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: I don't doubt your faith, but it's not for me. - (systems) - (9)
             I'm not Ben, but my take... - (hnick)
             I'm sorry (well, not really), but I can't pass this up... - (jb4)
             Re: I don't doubt your faith, but it's not for me. - (JayMehaffey)
             Please read what I wrote carefully - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 Re: Please read what I wrote carefully - (systems) - (1)
                     You've just proven my point - (ben_tilly)
                 <tweak /> ;-) -NT - (jb4)
             Re: I don't doubt your faith, but it's not for me. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Stark Trek episode idea (new thread) - (drewk)

Compatible with our orbiting brain lasers.
47 ms