IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New got from kuwait to bahgdad in 3 days, fighting all the way
surely the 20 hrs before the storms bullseye hit the trucks should have been rolling east on I-20 from Atlanta the staging area and forward staged in Hattiesburg jackson birmingham. I can drive from ATL to hattiesberg in the storm bands in 8 hrs. They didnt even start moving out of atlanta until the storm bands were into Northern Alabama.

What I will bet will come out is that the powers that be seeing a cat 5 come in figgered the levees wouldnt hold as long as they did and dead bodies sont need consumables. They then freaked after it was apparent that there was a shitload more survivors than they expected. No rush to fill body bags I guess.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New always love
the monday morning quarterbackin

we could have done alot of things differently. Too bad nothin like this ever happened for us to practice on first.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New florida, last year 4 times
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
New Nowhere close
could've parked supplies in the southwest of FL and for the most part they would still be there.

Not so with this one. This was a "scrub the earth" storm.

Response is definitely not what we expect our government to be capable of. Some of the "rules of engagement" seem downright stupid now in hindsight. Requiring mayor and governer to ask for certain aspects of relief doesn't really consider that they simply may not be capable of asking for that assistance...or may be so overwhelmed as to not be able to handle the full responsibility of their duties (regardless of their capabilities).

However, if the federal government would have taken those state responsibilities away before this crisis, we would likely have been debating the "federal power grab" by the Dept of Home Sec.

Damned in you do, double damned when you don't.

At least we have John Wayne.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New birmingham jackson memphis montgomery lttlerock etc
and now in one hour you can drive from baton rouge to the quarter on dry pavement and there is still a lack of clean water food and minor nescessities in the city.
thanx,
bill

New Not seeing the "still"
in any coverage.

Understand it was slow to get there. But its all there, including med care, food, water etc.

And the current issue is get everyone out of the city. All of them. It will not be a safe place to live for several weeks.

New Several months, I'd say
It's going to take a looong time to clean that place up to a standard fit for human habitation. Some parts of the city will need to simply be buried for the necessary rehabilitation of the city's defences against the elements.

Finally, I sincerely hope that they follow the example of the Netherlands after their big disaster and plan and build for the ten thousand year storm. I for one think that New Orleans should be rebuilt, and largely where it is now; there is a lot of history and culture in that place, and it's not like it can't be done. Furthermore, it represents a great opportunity to make some aspects of the city much better than it is now.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New fox, now talking to 82 yo woman at valance and 14th

New Right, Beep - never expect competence in anything New
- only in the rehearsed. Are you then acknowledging that we are the post-competent society?

(Except that, as Box mentions: 4 rehearsals. Even nearby. With water.)

Starting with Iraq - how many free passes for execrable planning have you left in that Apologia ticket book? That booklet must weigh a ton..

New Nobody getting a free pass
enough screwing up to go around

New There is no oversight either
In a working social system there should be an ongoing critical analysis of the system in being. There is none here.
I just develop wireless network systems and I am reviewed 4 times a year for performance. Our government, after each disaster/fuckup, goes through a period of finger pointing and distraction. Fortunately this is less than every 4 months.
If we can bankrupt the country to meddle in another countrys politics, we can afford to have nonpartisan backup contingencies for important cities in our own county. It might even be nice to include the unimportant cities as well; they pay taxes too.
There were a lot of screwups, local, county, state, and federal. It would be nice if the system would deal with this rather than sweep it under the rug. A real, rather than political, postmortem of the process would be of significant value. Assuming that anybody used the data other than to smear his opponent. Oh well, it was an idea...
New I agree
but the problem always boils down to the Benjamins...who is gonna pay for a study of how we fscked up. Nobody wants to fiddle with an open sore, unfortunately. It is similar in context to a situation that happened in real life:

My dad got involved in a start-up venture. There were warning signs right and left that indicated the venture was being poorly managed. It went belly-up in less than a year.

My dad, at age 57, risked everything and lost. It threw him into a deep depression that haunted him until his death from multiple myeloma at age 63.

I suggested that he write a book about "how not to run a start-up". He could've made lemonade from the lemons...could have had a bestseller. But he was too embarrassed, depressed, and defeated to even put the whole mess into words. He didn't want to be a cautionary tale.

I view this whole thing in N.O. as parallel to the above. No one wants to admit their mistakes. There is too much pride on the line - more's the pity.

I will be watching to see if Nagin emerges as the one sane voice above the din.
While I don't approve of him cussing out the Feds, I admire his courage to say what the people are saying...and not mincing words into the P.C. verbiage.

I hope that someone: the academic community, a non-profit org., or anyone else with the time and resources, will shed light on what was done versus what should have been done. Unfortunately, the only way to learn is through the "School of Hard Knocks" (tm), "Hindsight 20/20" (tm), and "Doh!" (tm).

Praying for peace,
Amy

"Losing your mind is like losing your keys. You have to retrace your steps to find out where you left it. But the bonus is that you usually find loose change in the cushions." ABR '05 :-D
New Trust me folks
This will be investigated ad-nauseum.

Problem >really< is...once the issues are identified they will magically never get fixed.

Already I can hear the campaign promises being made in the next presidential that will certainly be between screwup number 1 (r) and screwup #2 (d)...since we, the greatest nation on earth...seem to be able to generate such great candidates for leadership. (sigh)

New You evidently missed the nonpartisan part
I'm not sure how to do it exactly, but if we can have judges with lifetime span tenures, why not government auditors?

Consider: we put selected auditors through the same scrutiny we do for SC judges, and leave them in for life. Evidence of corruption resets life to 5 seconds from $NOW. Might be interesting...
New Gosh BP....
you're starting to sound like Aston. ;-)
New What should have been done...
The problem was forseeable and forseen.

Why not mobilize before the hurricane struck? Some federal assistance moving people then would have saved money and lives compared to moving them after the area was a disaster.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Too risky
If the money had been spent to evacuate people and the disaster didn't happen after all, someone would have been blamed for wasting the money and that would be career threatening.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New sometimes is depressing when you are right

repo leaders dont want to spend money on new orleans - (boxley) - (53)
         s/white/elitist/ -NT - (jb4)
         does it make sense to? - (SpiceWare) - (14)
             ask Venice or Amsterdam, anyway we need the port -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                 I don't agree or disagree - (SpiceWare) - (12)
                     Architecturally musically culturally it should be saved - (boxley) - (11)
                         Amen, Box! -NT - (jb4)
                         I say bulldoze it as a prelude to fixing it. - (marlowe) - (9)
                             That you're an idiot? - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                 He can't - (jake123)
                                 Actually I tend to agree with him.... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                     Yes, parts probably should be filled . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     Wouldn't work - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Or sooner, if the global warming stuff continues... -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 Yes, it works fine... until it stops working fine. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                     Consistent you are: far from any Real danger. Or imagined. -NT - (Ashton)
                                     Isn't that spelled "dyke" . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         It's another example of taking a sentence out of context. - (Another Scott) - (36)
             why is he backing up all over the wires if he didnt say it? - (boxley) - (35)
                 So he doesn't sound like a heartless, rich, whitey Repo man? - (Another Scott) - (33)
                     never claimed his statement was racist -NT - (boxley) - (32)
                         sure sounded that way - (SpiceWare) - (30)
                             a black leader wouldnt say that :-) -NT - (boxley) - (29)
                                 No... - (bepatient) - (28)
                                     yo at least rudy had a PD after 911 this guy has nothing - (boxley) - (27)
                                         box makes sense - (Silverlock) - (26)
                                             4 days? - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                                                 Nagin's Announcement from Saturday August 27. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                     He's been on the ball.... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                         Let's not forget - (jake123) - (1)
                                                             I recall a similiar study in New Jersey - (SpiceWare)
                                                         The more this gets covered... - (bepatient)
                                             On Tuesday Nagin was complaining - (bepatient) - (19)
                                                 Give Nagin a little credit.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                                 got from kuwait to bahgdad in 3 days, fighting all the way - (boxley) - (17)
                                                     always love - (bepatient) - (16)
                                                         florida, last year 4 times -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                             Nowhere close - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                 birmingham jackson memphis montgomery lttlerock etc - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                     Not seeing the "still" - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                         Several months, I'd say - (jake123)
                                                                         fox, now talking to 82 yo woman at valance and 14th -NT - (boxley)
                                                         Right, Beep - never expect competence in anything New - (Ashton) - (9)
                                                             Nobody getting a free pass - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                 There is no oversight either - (hnick) - (7)
                                                                     I agree - (imqwerky) - (6)
                                                                         Trust me folks - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                             You evidently missed the nonpartisan part - (hnick)
                                                                             Gosh BP.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                         What should have been done... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                             Too risky - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                 sometimes is depressing when you are right -NT - (boxley)
                         Ok. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Box: multiply 'port-city' N.O. by 1000\ufffd - (Ashton)

Memorably described by colleagues as someone who would "unplug you from life support so she could charge her phone."
88 ms