IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Target objects freefalling from space.
Like an asteroid which likely caused the Cretaceous-Tertiary [link|http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/extinction/|extinction] wiping out half the species. Of course we need to spend a bit more money to track these objects, now.

It might be a bit risky to wait for the detection of one of these rocks and then begin a research program on interception technology. Yeh, and put the contract out to the low cost bidder. :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New It's dangerous to assume that
Missle Defense Shield technology will assist in preventing asteroids from hitting the earth.

MDS is aimed at hitting relatively low targets on a very tight schedule.

An asteriod defense system would be better served at detecting asteroids at a much greater distance and then giving them enough delta-v to miss the earth.

They should be very different systems.
New You aren't thinking Hollywood.
#1. Compare the mass of an ICBM with the mass of a meteor.

#2. Compare the mass of an ICBM with the mass of a meteor.

#3. Compare the mass of an ICBM with the mass of a meteor.

Now, if the ICBM is hit and disabled, it will fall to Earth and cause some damage.

Now, if the meteor is hit, it will break up into smaller chunks.

Will the net effect be that the smaller chunks will burn up in the atmosphere or that the meteor will just spread itself over a larger area?

Does it really matter as the meteor will already be in our atmosphere when the missle defense system hits it?
New Nah...we will >never< be able...
...to accomplish such outlandish goals.

What was I thinking?

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Well yeah.. Hollywood only makes movies about
after the disaster struck - a showin them naked folks fleein their beds and the smarmy executive in his Mercedes, as the fragment turns it into gold-leaf film.

Besides, I think the troops have already grokked the asteroid problem as Simon sez: delta-V. with a looong lever arm = we gotta find this stuff reeel early. As to how you carry to the site -- sufficiently slow-burning propellant, so's not to fragment the beast [??]

Some would like to imagine a scenario of some sorta nuke-dud, such that it barely reaches crit-mass, and the blast is focussed so as to apply a net delta-V yada yada. Now *THAT's* where the stupid fucking ABM-$ OUGHT to be spent.. if we just Have to fund some [oil] more of Bushie's [oil] boys at Loral and such.

NASA-like, not DOD-like boffins are needed, and.. as we convert University research funding from basic research to mere pedestrian Corporate seeking of smaller vias for IC manufacturers:

The folks with this kinda smarts are running out of support. Will have to market for Billy n'BallyCo. before long (is that a scary enough scenario?)

Ashton
New Geez, agreeing with Brandioch now. The End is Near.
#1. Compare the mass of an ICBM with the mass of a meteor.

and
Now, if the meteor is hit, it will break up into smaller chunks.

Um, I think you're missing something here. The type of force required to disable an ICBM is actually pretty small; you probably wouldn't need to do more than launch a chunk of lead into its path and it would be very likely to disable the weapon. An explosive charge would only be insurance.

Take the size of an ICBM. I don't know exact dimensions, but maybe 3 meters around and 20 meters (I'm being optimistic, the missiles they fit into subs are smaller) in length?

A dangerous asteroid would be 100 meters in diameter; a dinosaur-killer would be much larger. The type of explosives that would be used against an incoming ICBM wouldn't make a dent in a dangerous asteroid. It's doubtful even a nuke would do enough damage to a nickle-iron asteroid to destroy it. And as you note, the ABM defenses would only be catching it as it entered the atmosphere; far, far too late.

All that said, just because there may be a bigger danger from so-called suitcase nukes doesn't mean it isn't worth testing and building an ABM system. R&D into ABM as a concept for missile defense can extend to, say, anti-SCUD defenses and anti-Stinger defenses. I'd think that a laser defense system effective against ICBM's should be effective against a wide variety of other targets.

On the other hand, I personally would prefer to be putting money into cheap access to space. The NASA bureaucracy is so fixated on the shuttle that they seem to be doing their best to scuttle any competition or alternates.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     Bush to announce US withdrawl from ABM treaty. - (Another Scott) - (26)
         Was that a slam? - (Ashton) - (4)
             Not an intentional one... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 You rang? -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Er, it spoils the fun... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         I had a feeling that was it... - (bepatient)
         What's left? - (mmoffitt) - (20)
             Um, the ABM Treaty has specific rules for withdrawAl. - (Another Scott) - (19)
                 Yes, there are SPECIFIC RULES. - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                     The Congress might not ratify the change. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Re: If there is an election. - (mmoffitt)
                     Simple... - (bepatient) - (15)
                         Not bad Beep.. fer a Conservative - (Ashton)
                         Technology has what? - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                             And I know all of these things - (bepatient) - (12)
                                 Risk to reward ratio - (jb4) - (10)
                                     Hold on there bub... - (bepatient) - (9)
                                         Target objects freefalling from space. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                             It's dangerous to assume that - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                                 You aren't thinking Hollywood. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                     Nah...we will >never< be able... - (bepatient)
                                                     Well yeah.. Hollywood only makes movies about - (Ashton)
                                                     Geez, agreeing with Brandioch now. The End is Near. - (wharris2)
                                         What about the danger of elves? - (mhuber) - (2)
                                             Why__ Haven't__ We__ Been__ Told ?! - (Ashton)
                                             Attack of the Killer Keebler ;) -NT - (bepatient)
                                 Perhaps pigs want to fly as well - (ben_tilly)

Rain, rain, go away. I can't stand you for one more day.
80 ms