IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Question: since he's not a US citizen, how is it that we are
regressing to the times when the US was a Constitution-based Empire.. and allowing this anachronistic trial thing?

This smacks of a most unPatriotic Act! Who is responsible for this miscarriage of Justice-lite? Impeachment or at very least, death to.. these renegades!

A Concerned Immune Hah! Citizen Wants to Know
Unity \ufffdber Alles in die Welt!
New I think you know the answer.
As I understand Bush's "tribunal" edict, the US has the option of using military tribunals. It's not required. And since this fellow was aprehended by civilian authorities, not the military, it makes sense for him to be tried under civilian rules (unless good cause can be shown otherwise).

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Oh DEAR....
...how DARE Ashcroft and his ilk to actually not satisfy his fear-mongering critics and actually try this man in a Court.

"But Virginia...that man is EVEEEEL...just read Salon!!! They'll tell you...and even write cartoons for those who can't mouth the words."
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Equally valid deduction from all that no-data:
Ashcroft might even have noticed* the sheer number of CommiePinko Subversive Hand-wringers infesting his Fiefdom.. and settled for the less certain mode. (He can deal with Them later on.)

* well, it's possible he takes time out from rewriting laws n'stuff to look around (?)

[as if we had the [oil] foggiest.. what goes on inside him and [oil] his]

Ashton
Evil is warm and fuzzy, like a Wag-Ed ad.. and a Foulwell sermon.
Quit knockin it.. It's a Vital part of Our Economy !
New Xactly.
Perhaps its true: if you hit, even a stump, over the head with a board long enough, it'll eventually realize it's being hit over the head with a board.
New So, let's see if I understand this....
#1. We need these tribunals to try non-citizens for terrorist activities.

#2. We have a captured non-citizen who is charged with terrorist activities.

#3. Therefore he will be tried in an open civilian court.

Yes, I completely understand your position now. Of course we need tribunals (secret) to try these people.

PS: Prisoners taken during war are POW's. Treatment of POW's has been codified already.
New Whose position are you referring to...
...because it wouldn't be mine...even though you are responding to me.

New Curious.
So, you're saying that you do not support the tribunals?
New I have nothing against the tribunals...
...its the secret part I have a problem with...and have since the beginning.

New Too much work
Disclaimer: I do not like Ashcroft, OK? Somebody posted that the Missourians were happy to elect a dead man instead of him. They were wise.

That being said, this "sends a message" [yechh] in several ways.

The Executive Order says that such people *can* be tried by military tribunal, not that they *must* be. The reason for a military tribunal is twofold: first, it avoids the Simpson Circus Effect; second, the likelihood that a "chain of evidence" can be maintained in military and quasimilitary operations is nil.

So what this trial says is that if they do have what they believe is sufficient admissible evidence, they'll go for the trial rather than the tribunal; the circus is manageable. (And I do mean "admissible" under the rather tortuous and arcane rules of evidence currently in force.) Why? Well, there are a lot of people who kneejerk against the tribunals, and a lot more who are made uncomfortable by them -- in which latter group I include myself, by the way. The more convictions they can get by standard trials, the more credible the whole effort becomes.

Once again, don't fall into the trap of believing that because someone doesn't agree with your Personal View of the Universe as handed down by the Prophet Noam they're necessarily stupid, or don't pay attention to what's going on. Like I said, I can think of several things I'd like to do with Ashcroft, none of them very enjoyable for the man himself; but I find this development heartening, on the whole.
Regards,
Ric
New please sharpen yer stick before poking
since he is in the "Custody" of an allied govt who has suggested that tribunals are unfair except in the Dryfuss case it was a question of civil or non.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New I expect that's the compelling reason too.
Which leaves the question of his sensitivity? to the carping - moot. From what I saw of Ashcroft replying to concerns - he sees none. Those who oppose him are UnMurican. Pure & simple. (Have to ask the MO folk what he was doing to them, to earn his local opprobrium.?. couldnt'a been the ostentatious 'voluntary' prayer meetings as in DC, so it must have been something Else.)

This may change - if the UK folk opposing Ashcroft-style tampering, next find selves cowed into silence. I believe that's an ongoing Tony B. vs Them thing. So UK might.. go along with the secret tribunals. Might.

It I were bin-L's droids.. I'd see it like end of of WW-II: Germans would do Anything to surrender to US and not USSR. Er.. now we be USSR?

(Hmm is it unWahabbi to allow self to be captured?)

A.
     Indictment against Zacarias Moussaoui for 9/11 attacks. - (Another Scott) - (12)
         Question: since he's not a US citizen, how is it that we are - (Ashton) - (11)
             I think you know the answer. - (Another Scott)
             Oh DEAR.... - (bepatient) - (6)
                 Equally valid deduction from all that no-data: - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Xactly. - (mmoffitt)
                 So, let's see if I understand this.... - (Brandioch) - (3)
                     Whose position are you referring to... - (bepatient) - (2)
                         Curious. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                             I have nothing against the tribunals... - (bepatient)
             Too much work - (Ric Locke)
             please sharpen yer stick before poking - (boxley) - (1)
                 I expect that's the compelling reason too. - (Ashton)

What's the point of being heavily armed if you can't be impulsive? I mean, really...
68 ms