IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Various reasons.
Some people just like Macs better. Some people have Mac customers going back a long time. Some people like the idea of being a medium-size fish in a little pond much better than that of being an amoeba in an ocean. There are lots of reasons why ISVs write Mac software. The fact that they do so seems to indicate that they're not interested in competing with Windows software on a PC.

But we'll see. Maybe Steve's [link|http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Reality_Distortion_Field.txt&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date|RDF] will be cranked up to 11 and it won't be an issue on Monday. ;-)

QuickTransit sounds similar to [link|http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/jx/galaxy.php|Galaxy] from Visix. They didn't survive.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Galaxy not the same thing
Galaxy was, from what I could gather, a cross platform toolkit that one would have to explicity program to. QuickTransit translates binaries compiled for one CPU instruction set to another instruction set at runtime. If it works as advertised, 3rd party devs wouldn't have to recompile and redistribute their apps initially (they could do so later if/when they are ready.

Trolltech makes a cross platform toolkit. They seem to be doing ok.

I too am wondering how the RDF will hold up when the audience starts flinging 'reality' at Steve on-stage.
--
Chris Altmann
New One more thing
From the bottom of [link|http://pview.findlaw.com/view/3340942_1?&channel=CCC|http://pview.findlaw...42_1?&channel=CCC]

"Transitive Technologies: Represented Transitive Technologies in a co-development and licensing agreement with Apple Computer"

We shall see.
--
Chris Altmann
New Thanks.
Lots of companies are working on virtualization. E.g. AMD and Intel are adding extensions to their newest chips to allow multiple OSes to run "simultaneously". There's overhead with such approaches, obviously, and even more so if the program assumes a different instruction set.

It also introduces the "Win-OS/2" problem again. If the virtualization is good enough, there will be little incentive for ISVs to write to the native CPU. Then Windows x86 wins by default. If it's not good enough, then the migration to the new CPU or OS is too painful for customers with existing vital software. Then Windows x86 wins by default.

It's tough for translation/virtualization to win unless the underlying CPU is ~ 10 times faster than the incumbent. The Cell might have a chance, but it's hard to see that virtualization of existing MacOS X software on x86 variants being a compelling solution.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Intel Apples? - (andread) - (29)
         doubtful - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             I agree - (folkert)
         Cnet says announcement expected Monday 6/6/2005. - (Another Scott) - (20)
             Re: "write Intel software". - (a6l6e6x) - (13)
                 Good and bad - (admin)
                 Apple aren't a software company, though. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     Yeah, we wouldn't want it to become popular or something. -NT - (folkert) - (5)
                         Selling desktop OSes for PCs is not a business model... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Then... umm - (folkert) - (2)
                                 Antitrust, I expect. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 Where else would MS get ideas for new features? - (tuberculosis)
                         I agree - (tuberculosis)
                 True, but let me elaborate. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Apple running Intel on their new tablet computer - (Meerkat)
                     Andrew Orlowski on the Osborne Effect. - (Another Scott)
                     The Osborne Effect didn't kill Osborne Computer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Reading that reminds me of IMSAI. - (static)
             NY Times has the story now, with more details. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Why do they write for it now? - (altmann) - (4)
                     Various reasons. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Galaxy not the same thing - (altmann) - (2)
                             One more thing - (altmann) - (1)
                                 Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         Intel PowerPC CPUs? - (altmann) - (3)
             Entirely more feasible than the alternatives. imho -NT - (pwhysall)
             makes more sense than Mac on x86 - (cforde) - (1)
                 There is a good reason. - (folkert)
         Interesting theory on why Apple is switching - (bluke)
         It's true. They're switching to x86 (new thread) - (altmann)

This is for Drew Khan. This is on God's reaching out to you from K Force.
53 ms