IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New True, but let me elaborate.
I was trying to use too much shorthand.

Unless it's the kernel, one writes to an environment, e.g. Win32. I suspect if MAC OS X was officially ported to Intel, that MAC applications could be ported as well w/o much difficulty. Think of Linux distributions that run on different hardware architectures.

Yes, one writes apps for the OS.

But, Apple presumably would want their OS running on x86, not to be a Wintel vendor. Yes, Darwin runs on x86 and there are rumors that Apple has a version of MacOS running on x86 already. But there are issues like device drivers (some *BSD drivers can be used, but they don't cover everything important), testing, etc.

And there's the important issue of an emulator for existing MacOS X applications - I don't know of a reasonable speed one that exists for MacOS X on Intel (there are a couple that go the other way). They can probably argue that Classic won't be needed any more by that time, but existing customers aren't going to want to give up their software while they wait for Adobe, etc., to port their applications - and as you say existing x86 software vendors may say "just run the Windows verson".

Apple's been through 2 CPU transitions already. In each case they did well, but it wasn't an immediate process and wasn't without pain for existing users.

On the plus side, Apple will have a shot at replacing Windows as the OS on PCs.

Man, that's funny. You aren't remembering OS/2 are you. :-)

<wistful sigh>

MS will still have preloads (except for the ~ 1-few million boxes that Apple will ship each year), and Apple doesn't have the resources to develop all the drivers and cajole all of the hardware and software vendors to support their platform. As Peter says, an x86 MacOS box will be unique if Steve Jobs has anything to say about it.

I still don't think it'll happen - at least not like this (1-2 years in advance). I'm sure that Steve remembers [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Osborne|Adam Osborne] at least as well as Ashton does.... ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Apple running Intel on their new tablet computer
Which will be called a Newton II.
And then they'll get bought by Disney.
Or Sony.
And launch the Apple Phone as well.

Any rumours I forgot to cover? :)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Andrew Orlowski on the Osborne Effect.
[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/08/apple_osborne_effect/|The Register].

Not a lot of meat, but some interesting tidbits.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The Osborne Effect didn't kill Osborne Computer.
How about that?

[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/20/no_osborne_effect_at_osborne/|The Reg].

Another illustration that one needs to beware of conventional wisdom...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Reading that reminds me of IMSAI.
Didn't they die because they kept pre-announcing hardware that wasn't even prototyped? Or something?

Wade.
Save Fintlewoodlewix
     Intel Apples? - (andread) - (29)
         doubtful - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             I agree - (folkert)
         Cnet says announcement expected Monday 6/6/2005. - (Another Scott) - (20)
             Re: "write Intel software". - (a6l6e6x) - (13)
                 Good and bad - (admin)
                 Apple aren't a software company, though. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     Yeah, we wouldn't want it to become popular or something. -NT - (folkert) - (5)
                         Selling desktop OSes for PCs is not a business model... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Then... umm - (folkert) - (2)
                                 Antitrust, I expect. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 Where else would MS get ideas for new features? - (tuberculosis)
                         I agree - (tuberculosis)
                 True, but let me elaborate. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Apple running Intel on their new tablet computer - (Meerkat)
                     Andrew Orlowski on the Osborne Effect. - (Another Scott)
                     The Osborne Effect didn't kill Osborne Computer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Reading that reminds me of IMSAI. - (static)
             NY Times has the story now, with more details. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Why do they write for it now? - (altmann) - (4)
                     Various reasons. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Galaxy not the same thing - (altmann) - (2)
                             One more thing - (altmann) - (1)
                                 Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         Intel PowerPC CPUs? - (altmann) - (3)
             Entirely more feasible than the alternatives. imho -NT - (pwhysall)
             makes more sense than Mac on x86 - (cforde) - (1)
                 There is a good reason. - (folkert)
         Interesting theory on why Apple is switching - (bluke)
         It's true. They're switching to x86 (new thread) - (altmann)

That's not actually how law works.
80 ms