IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Think again about getting your present gear fixed.
Physics hasn't changed in the last 30 years. You may have better gear than you can get new for a reasonable price.

If your amplifier is having problems it is most likely due to problems with its electrolytic capacitors. Caps don't last forever. Those can usually be replaced fairly easily.

Browse around [link|http://www.samswebsite.com/photofacts.html|here] and see if they have the schematics for your Kenwood box. It might be worth the $10 or so for the paperwork to see if a few parts will get you back in business.

You probably want to talk to Ashton too.

With all that said, if you just want to buy a new box, I've been happy with my Sony STR-DE515 from Crutchfield. It's several years old - I'm not sure what's comparable these days. I only use it as a tuner/amplifier/turntable interface/CD interface/controller. It's hooked up to the TV too but we don't use it with the TV. It's got lots of features we never use - e.g. concert hall/garage/bathroom/outdoor amphitheater acoustic tuning, etc. The remote is a little obtuse.

We recently purchased some $300 JBL large bookshelf speakers from B&H that sound pretty good but I can't compare them to what else is out there. My impression is that most reasonably price speakers these days are garbage (the magnets are too small).

HTH. Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New good idea! Ash whats the turn around time on repairs?
and the rate natch :-)
regards,
daemon
"I am not scared of al Qaeda, I am scared of fucking al Cracker sayeth Chris Rock
New Two things:
It's laaarrrrrge, and it isn't surround sound. But thanks for the suggestions.

The size is going to be a serious factor if we get a large-screen TV and lose the current enclosure.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     I need a new amp - (admin) - (20)
         Think again about getting your present gear fixed. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             good idea! Ash whats the turn around time on repairs? - (daemon)
             Two things: - (admin)
         stroll by the local flea/pawn shops first - (daemon) - (2)
             Bad idea - (drewk) - (1)
                 Agreed. -NT - (admin)
         Re: I need a new amp - (Ashton) - (6)
             Remember the thinger lost in transit??? -NT - (folkert)
             Re: I need a new amp - (admin) - (4)
                 That sounds like bad connections somewhere. 118 kB .img - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Re: That sounds like bad connections somewhere. 118 kB .img - (admin) - (1)
                         Those sockets do die. - (static)
                     Yawn.. I have one of those in my car. - (Ashton)
         How about something like this? - (folkert) - (1)
             Thanks. -NT - (admin)
         Don't buy an all in one. - (bepatient) - (1)
             Re: Don't buy an all in one. - (admin)
         I'm rather partial to Yamaha receivers - (Steven A S) - (2)
             Looks nice, but pretty expensive. - (admin) - (1)
                 Re: Looks nice, but pretty expensive. - (Steven A S)

No, not really.
47 ms