IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You're less coherent than usual in this post.
IMO.

As Todd points out below, rural areas have the same kinds of people that urban areas do. With the same problems.

Your third paragraph is a true-ism. Yes, if you want to kill a lot of people quickly, well you need a lot of people in a relatively small place.

Decentralization is the wave of the future. It's just a matter of getting that last mile problem completely licked. We'll still need port cities, but no one will have to live in them anymore. We'll just have waldoes for dockworkers.

You need to elaborate on that a bit. It sounds rather Pol Pot-ish to me.

What time frame are you talking about?

I think that for the forseeable future (say the next 20 years) cities will continue to grow, especially outside the US. In the vast majority of the world, the best way to increase one's income is to move from a rural area to a city. It's been that way for a long time, and I don't see it changing.

And who's going to build all the roads and airports and drive all the trucks to have the cities emptied? Who's going to build the power plants, put up the power lines, dig the sewer lines, etc., for this? Or do you imagine the population of cities simply disappearing?

I hope you're not imagining some [link|http://www.agclassroom.org/teacher/history/1820.htm|1820s agrarian utopia] or something. A time when 300 hours of labor was required to produce 100 bushels of wheat, when the US population was < 13 M...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Same people as build the roads and drive the trucks now.
Just in a different place. What's your objection, exactly?

If there's anything history teaches us, it's that things change. And we're due for a change. The trend in society these days is decentralization. All sorts of things - computing power, news reportage, publishing - that used to be in hands of natural monopolies or oligarchies are now becoming more democratic, thanks to the Internet. Big government and big business will continue to resist, but they can't hold out forever.

That last mile is the catch. There's simply more bandwidth some places than others, because to the more shortsighted decision makers, that makes too much seeming economic sense. Broadband upload speed is the chief bottleneck. I figure in 20 years, if some assholes ever nuke all our major metropoli, they'll kill a few dozen repairmen and destroy an awful lot of server farms. Mirrored servers in smaller cities will take over, but things will bog down on the `Net for a while. (And the companies that didn't have mirrored servers out yonder will be out of business.)

And then they'll finally lay down some OC-192 fiber in Hootin Holler. Expense is relative.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Well, pardon us for winning the election.
Memo to Democrats and to the Left: hatred is not a substitute for vision.
"All the news you wish would go away"
[link|http://marlowe-essays.blogspot.com/2005/01/what-we-need-prescription-for-our.html|http://marlowe-essay...tion-for-our.html] - What We Need - a prescription for our times
[link|http://marlowe-essays.blogspot.com/2005/01/where-i-stand-proverbs-and-axioms-for.html|http://marlowe-essay...d-axioms-for.html] - Where I Stand - Proverbs and axioms for the real world
New Government builds the roads. Teamsters drive the trucks.
New Won't happen.
Bosses like one thing: Asses in seats that they can walk over to and bust.

Decentralization will not happen until we can get around that cultural barrier.
"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
     Red State Farmers - how do you like your choice now? - (tuberculosis) - (42)
         Not everybody's vote can be bought. - (marlowe) - (41)
             Is there a DisneyLand in your universe too? -NT - (tuberculosis)
             Ah, so we're back to the 'noble savage' paradigm . . . -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 Savage, no. Noble, yes. - (marlowe) - (4)
                     You're less coherent than usual in this post. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Same people as build the roads and drive the trucks now. - (marlowe) - (2)
                             Government builds the roads. Teamsters drive the trucks. -NT - (ChrisR)
                             Won't happen. - (inthane-chan)
             Right and wrong - (JayMehaffey) - (14)
                 Actually no... - (Simon_Jester) - (13)
                     Re: Actually no... - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
                         s/shrug/idiots/ - (ben_tilly)
                         I guess what I was trying to say... - (Simon_Jester) - (10)
                             And you're wrong on that - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 <grin> I'm not sure that that's not - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                     That would be a big stretch - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Perhaps... - (Simon_Jester)
                             B.S. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 You've just got a different definition of self-interest. :) - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     Naw, if that's what I was worried about. - (mmoffitt)
                                 Perhaps... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                     But the politicians salaries are NEVER on the block. - (mmoffitt)
                             Nah, not for you... TO you. -NT - (jake123)
             Which is why Bush brought it during his campaign... - (Simon_Jester)
             Transcending your urban roots, eh? - (tuberculosis) - (12)
                 Once again, you get it all backwards. - (marlowe) - (11)
                     Re: Once again, you get it all backwards. - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                         Condi's competence isnt in question, its her motives -NT - (daemon) - (9)
                             As NSA - she wasn't exactly on the ball in summer 2001 - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                 GIVE IT A FREAKIN BREAK!!! - (daemon) - (7)
                                     Stop it. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                         I can forgive missing the jet attacks - (tuberculosis)
                                     I believe we said the same thing about Clinton... - (Simon_Jester)
                                     GIVE IT A FREAKIN BREAK YERSELF!!! - (jb4) - (3)
                                         They didn't use box cutters. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Two points.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                             You're Welcome! ;-) -NT - (jb4)
             Having grown up on farms . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 You must have been going to the county seat. - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                     Actually, it wasn't quite that bad. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Montana - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                             Yeah, as thy used to say, 'Better dead than red' -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

Not just broken: robustly broken!
88 ms