IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New <grin> I'm not sure that that's not
doing something for you...indirectly. :-) As such an individual would lead to better government (and less corruption) which would (eventually) benefit you again, no?
New That would be a big stretch
With enough work you can coerce any theory into your preconceptions.

The better way to reach in this case is to note that it is a benefit to me for me to see things that I want to happen, happen.

This, of course, pushes the problem down one level, and we're now left to wonder if people only want things of benefit to themselves. (The answer to which may depend on how we define "benefit".)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Perhaps...
but I guess I don't look at the situation as a us-vs-them approach whereas they are evil (or greedy) and we're wholesome (and perhaps stupid. ;-)).

Each group works toward their own self-interest to some degree and to their vision for the country. I'm not about to claim their vision is evil as I believe that is intellectually dishonest. I do have lots of problems with their vision for the country, for a variety of reasons, and am more than willing to point those out.

But I won't be dishonest with myself to claim that I'm not working toward my own vision and my own self-interests.

Back to the original post (to tie it all back together again), I don't agree with Bush's tactics for cutting subsidies to the farmers will bring lower food prices to Americans (or that it's beneficial to our farmers). I do agree with Jay that tariffs are a better solution than subsides.

And yes, I think (as a liberal) that if you voted for Bush and are now getting nailed by his polities, you're getting what you deserve and have no right to complain.
     Red State Farmers - how do you like your choice now? - (tuberculosis) - (42)
         Not everybody's vote can be bought. - (marlowe) - (41)
             Is there a DisneyLand in your universe too? -NT - (tuberculosis)
             Ah, so we're back to the 'noble savage' paradigm . . . -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 Savage, no. Noble, yes. - (marlowe) - (4)
                     You're less coherent than usual in this post. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Same people as build the roads and drive the trucks now. - (marlowe) - (2)
                             Government builds the roads. Teamsters drive the trucks. -NT - (ChrisR)
                             Won't happen. - (inthane-chan)
             Right and wrong - (JayMehaffey) - (14)
                 Actually no... - (Simon_Jester) - (13)
                     Re: Actually no... - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
                         s/shrug/idiots/ - (ben_tilly)
                         I guess what I was trying to say... - (Simon_Jester) - (10)
                             And you're wrong on that - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 <grin> I'm not sure that that's not - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                     That would be a big stretch - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Perhaps... - (Simon_Jester)
                             B.S. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 You've just got a different definition of self-interest. :) - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     Naw, if that's what I was worried about. - (mmoffitt)
                                 Perhaps... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                     But the politicians salaries are NEVER on the block. - (mmoffitt)
                             Nah, not for you... TO you. -NT - (jake123)
             Which is why Bush brought it during his campaign... - (Simon_Jester)
             Transcending your urban roots, eh? - (tuberculosis) - (12)
                 Once again, you get it all backwards. - (marlowe) - (11)
                     Re: Once again, you get it all backwards. - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                         Condi's competence isnt in question, its her motives -NT - (daemon) - (9)
                             As NSA - she wasn't exactly on the ball in summer 2001 - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                 GIVE IT A FREAKIN BREAK!!! - (daemon) - (7)
                                     Stop it. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                         I can forgive missing the jet attacks - (tuberculosis)
                                     I believe we said the same thing about Clinton... - (Simon_Jester)
                                     GIVE IT A FREAKIN BREAK YERSELF!!! - (jb4) - (3)
                                         They didn't use box cutters. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Two points.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                             You're Welcome! ;-) -NT - (jb4)
             Having grown up on farms . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 You must have been going to the county seat. - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                     Actually, it wasn't quite that bad. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Montana - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                             Yeah, as thy used to say, 'Better dead than red' -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

I guess you can't gargle with it.
73 ms