IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Airports, too.
I wonder how many will need expensive upgrades to fit 'em in.

Actually, I wonder how much runway it needs. I know a fully laden 747 only just clears the ILS and localiser beacons at Kingsford-Smith on takeoff. And it's not known to be a short runway, either.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Just a few to begin with.
* Airports gearing up for the plane include London's Heathrow, New York's John F. Kennedy International, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore and Frankfurt.
and from Reuters [link|http://yahoo.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7340414|here]:
LONDON (Reuters) - When passengers board the giant A380 aircraft at London's Heathrow for the first time next year they will be leaving a noticeably different airport.

In the biggest single change to operations since the Boeing 747 was introduced in 1970, the airport is spending $841 million widening taxiways, installing double-decker loading ramps and upgrading immigration and baggage facilities.

The arrival of the world's largest passenger plane means airports like Heathrow, already operating under congested conditions, are under pressure to ensure they can turn around up to double the number of passengers from a single aircraft in the same time.

Two huge air bridges, one of which is around eight floors off the ground, will connect the double-decker Airbus aircraft's 550 passengers with the terminal building.

Heathrow will also offer airlines the option of a third gangway, two on the lower deck and one upstairs, although airlines will have to subsidize that extra themselves.

Like the plane's interior, everything in the terminal building will be larger as well. Heathrow is building bigger lounges and extending baggage carousels to ensure passengers are not delayed any longer than usual.

Heathrow will be in the first wave of major hubs hosting the A380 and is racing against the clock to prepare for its giant guest next year.
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
     "Airbus A380 doubledecker plane" - (a6l6e6x) - (38)
         And the insurance companies are in a cold sweat. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Airports, too. - (static) - (1)
                 Just a few to begin with. - (a6l6e6x)
         Photos linky. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Pictures 2, 3 & 4 mislabled - (drewk)
         Somehow.. the prospect of remembering , with two - (Ashton) - (2)
             I'm sure they have to be able to evacuate it in 90 s too... -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Well, maybe. - (a6l6e6x)
         I wonder what the wake turbulence will be like. - (mmoffitt) - (22)
             FedEx and UPS are customers. - (Another Scott) - (21)
                 Yikes! - (folkert) - (20)
                     Why.. you could take a Regiment all the way to N. Korea -NT - (Ashton) - (17)
                         And one SAM would eliminate said regiment. -NT - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                             The Stealth A380 is planned for Version 2.0. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 You! - (Ashton)
                         Re: Why.. you could take a Regiment all the way to N. Korea - (saganista) - (13)
                             Welcome! Tell us more. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                 Re: Welcome! Tell us more. - (saganista) - (6)
                                     I assume this is fly-by-wire. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                         Re: I assume this is fly-by-wire. - (saganista) - (3)
                                             That's what I'd guessed. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                 Re: That's what I'd guessed. - (saganista) - (1)
                                                     ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     There's only one H-4 Hercules. :-) 3 images. - (Another Scott)
                             Sweet... - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Re: Sweet... - (saganista)
                             wow! welcome!! - (daemon) - (1)
                                 Re: wow! welcome!! - (saganista)
                             Hail, fellow Brit. (new thread) - (pwhysall)
                     Does anyone see the possibilities here? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Might get ahead of the demand. -NT - (folkert)
         Assembly line show and tell - (scoenye) - (2)
             Neat. Thanks. The twiki might be a good spot. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Up under OpenForum -NT - (scoenye)
         'Ask the Pilot' (Salon) on the 380 - (Ashton) - (3)
             Teehee - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Maybe the FBW thing is for those French pilots ... - (mmoffitt)
             Oh, yippee, one-point-three whole *inches*! Feh... -NT - (CRConrad)

The next steps I'm real fuzzy on.
100 ms