How do I evade them?

No TV. Don't particularly care for the stuff. Much more time for other things that matter to me.

Noncommercial radio. I pay memberships to public radio, budget permitting. It's a poorly kept secret that "noncommercial" radio dominates many media markets, and rates highly in most others. Doc Searls has written on this several times in his weblog, I've posted comments here. KQED is tied as the fourth most listened to station in the SF/Oak/SJ area. Arbitron tries to hide this fact by reporting commercial and noncommercial station ratings separately, but the numbers are there (the stations leading it are news/talk, news, "soft hits" adult rock, and a tie for classical).

Avoiding Disney movies is one thing. Better: stand out in front of the theater on weekend evenings, and Disney stores during noontime shopping times, handing out an informational flier. Tell people what the hell's going on.

I think it was Peter Whysall who asked here when "entertainment" became something you consumed, rather than something you did. "Consumer" is a word I'd like to strip from my vocabulary. It's the public, the citizens, the people, stupid.

It's easier than you'd think.