IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Support"?
It's not a matter of support as much as evasion. How do you evade Time/Warner/AOL/Disney/Fox?

OK, you could smash your television and stop going to movies. (You think that would actually accomplish anything?) You will be sitting there at home listening to radio (which isn't a bad thing), except that radio also pays royalties to these people.

Dammit even that isn't going to stop it, they probably own McDonald's or Pizza Hut or Taco Bell or Kroger's... oops, I don't think they own Kroger's yet, I guess you can still make your own food without stumbling over the media giants.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Excuse me, but I do it
I don't own a TV.

I don't listen to radio.

I like music, but I have a ton of stuff from independents like greenlinnet.

I don't even intend to avoid AOL, Disney, etc. It just happens to work out that way.

Cheers,
Ben
New Readily
How do I evade them?

No TV. Don't particularly care for the stuff. Much more time for other things that matter to me.

Noncommercial radio. I pay memberships to public radio, budget permitting. It's a poorly kept secret that "noncommercial" radio dominates many media markets, and rates highly in most others. Doc Searls has written on this several times in his weblog, I've posted comments here. KQED is tied as the fourth most listened to station in the SF/Oak/SJ area. Arbitron tries to hide this fact by reporting commercial and noncommercial station ratings separately, but the numbers are there (the stations leading it are news/talk, news, "soft hits" adult rock, and a tie for classical).

Avoiding Disney movies is one thing. Better: stand out in front of the theater on weekend evenings, and Disney stores during noontime shopping times, handing out an informational flier. Tell people what the hell's going on.

I think it was Peter Whysall who asked here when "entertainment" became something you consumed, rather than something you did. "Consumer" is a word I'd like to strip from my vocabulary. It's the public, the citizens, the people, stupid.

It's easier than you'd think.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     Monsters, Inc. - (admin) - (49)
         SSSCA - (kmself) - (45)
             Ironic considering who used to work there. -NT - (ben_tilly)
             *shrug* - (admin) - (43)
                 Disney's intent - (kmself) - (42)
                     "Support"? - (wharris2) - (2)
                         Excuse me, but I do it - (ben_tilly)
                         Readily - (kmself)
                     Re: Disney's intent - (admin) - (38)
                         Those who consort with villians - (kmself) - (37)
                             That's naive. - (admin) - (36)
                                 The power of individual action - (kmself) - (35)
                                     Excuse me... - (bepatient) - (29)
                                         Pixar - (kmself) - (28)
                                             Question? - (ChrisR) - (27)
                                                 (Half of) the second, and the third, is my theory: - (CRConrad)
                                                 Context of copyright law and free software - (kmself) - (25)
                                                     Grammar police - (drewk) - (24)
                                                         To continue in that vein, "impact"... - (CRConrad) - (16)
                                                             Heard a new mangling of language today. - (Meerkat) - (15)
                                                                 Quote from Calvin and Hobbes. - (static) - (14)
                                                                     Hmmm Wattersen read some Sufi aphorisms (?) - (Ashton) - (13)
                                                                         No idea. - (static) - (12)
                                                                             If that's your reading of the ripostes in Calvin & Hobbes.. - (Ashton) - (11)
                                                                                 ... it was entirely from memory. - (static) - (10)
                                                                                     Not a problem.. - (Ashton) - (9)
                                                                                         Re: 'comics' be our only public philosophy exercise - (hnick) - (8)
                                                                                             Bug in board software - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                                                                                 Thanks... -NT - (hnick)
                                                                                             My sentiments perzackly.. Comics are our last bastion. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                 Ghod, no! - (mhuber) - (1)
                                                                                                     Hmmm.. yer right! Recognize --> Homogenize--> Assimilate! :[ - (Ashton)
                                                                                             I wonder. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                                                 I would suppose both... - (hnick)
                                                                                                 Legitimate copout? - (Ashton)
                                                         Writing for effect - (kmself) - (6)
                                                             Suitably sated serendipity - (Ashton)
                                                             A lessening impact. - (static) - (4)
                                                                 Forther flogging of the deceased equine - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                     That's a fascinating piece of trivia. - (static) - (1)
                                                                         Maybe adj. too - 'impacted tooth'? :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 A noble distinction I share; imagine bein deemed a Marketer! -NT - (Ashton)
                                     Disney the big bad corporation - (admin) - (1)
                                         Was also involved with... - (ChrisR)
                                     The individual has what? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                         Well.. a letter to Kottar-Kotelly just now - (Ashton)
                                         Re: The individual has what? - (admin)
         Took the family... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Heh, I noticed the same thing. :-) -NT - (admin)
         Good film; however, - (orion)

Filtering out the sesame seeds.
55 ms