IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Transactions vs. Relationships
Our collective thinking has to shift from valuing "things" to valuing "people".

Relationships instead of transactions. I'll give some examples. I go into Home Depot and it's very hard to find help. Last time I was there, I was looking for a gas starter pipe for my fireplace, and when I finally found someone, they walked me to the "fireplace section", where I had already been for 30 minutes, looking for my item. When I told them that what I was looking for wasn't there, they wanted to call someone else, who I waiting for about 4 minutes, then decided I was done looking.

Contrast that with our local ACE hardware store in Greenville. I go in a few weeks ago to buy some bolts that we'll be using to secure a server rack to the floor, and the guy not only advises me on the right bolts, but makes sure I have the right anchors for the concrete, too. All told, I spend less than $5 on the transaction, but I got to know the person. I've been back several times, and the same person always is there to help me. The last 2-3 times were really easy, because he already knew who I was, and what I was trying to do.

Everything in this country has become about "transactions". Buying, selling, and gambling. Maximizing the return on investment far outweighs the value of people. Bigger stores, more dollar volumes, more inventory.

At the risk of getting this posting moved to the religious forum, I think the core problem is that we don't care about people anymore, just stuff, and it shows in our country. Jesus taught us to "love our neighbors as ourselves", and then told the story of the Good Samaritan when someone asked who a "neighbor" is.

So, as an add-on to my rant, we really need to start caring about each other, and not so much about the next dollar.
Glen Austin
New Amen to that.
(Got no quarrel with Jesus's material - just.. some of his followers can prove to be rather wearing)

Seconded overall. So long as mindless acquisition of things, not merely to some sense of 'adequacy' but endlessly - causes the major institutions to treat employees as expendable 'production machinery' / overhead, we'll continue to decline.

People aren't stupid, though many are inarticulate and many haven't quite put finger on the [hole] in life we have created by our insatiable collecting. The 24/7 artificial activity certainly creates the noise which interferes with joining forces around this message and - beginning to dismantle the robot machine.

I hope we make it.. the $ now permeates every facet of life - expect a meter in pews next. We have to somehow develop enough discrimination to realize, pretty soon - that just because we Can make something, maybe we shouldn't. And.. some things simply should not have price tags.

(Maybe the Big-irony is - actual human experience is 'permanent' and also can't be er repossessed. It is intangible and utterly unmeasurable. All the 'measurable', countable stuff: is the illusion ;-)

Nobody said it was EZ..

Ashton
     New It Opportunities? - (gdaustin) - (30)
         Hope you're wrong - (wharris2) - (29)
             25%+ Unemployment - (gdaustin) - (28)
                 re: Deep Recessions - (tablizer) - (6)
                     Already are Printing Money - (gdaustin) - (5)
                         One issue with that theory - (kmself) - (4)
                             A question - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 No clue? Neither do economists - (tablizer)
                                 Part of an answer - (kmself) - (1)
                                     Muchas Grazie - (pwhysall)
                 We got screwed - (orion) - (20)
                     What did this have to do with Clinton OR Bush? -NT - (admin) - (19)
                         Its the economy - (orion) - (18)
                             Re: Its the economy - (admin) - (17)
                                 Who is fiscually responsible then? - (orion) - (16)
                                     Sorry having a bad day - (orion) - (15)
                                         Try.. Corp Greed + ovine 'consumerism' as feeds it (?) -NT - (Ashton) - (14)
                                             I can believe that - (orion)
                                             Try Again? - (gdaustin) - (12)
                                                 Right on - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                                     On NAFTA and MFN - (drewk)
                                                 Can I send this out to some of my friends? - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                                     It depends on who your friends are... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                                                         Hmmm. - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                                             Re: Hmmm. - (gdaustin) - (3)
                                                                 You got it. - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                     BTW: CBOC is actually CBOE - (gdaustin) - (1)
                                                                         I've always wondered...... - (Silverlock)
                                                 A couple of items.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                     Transactions vs. Relationships - (gdaustin) - (1)
                                                         Amen to that. - (Ashton)

...and if a hundred!
88 ms