IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Processor usage
Processors get hot when they work hard. My laptop fan comes on when for example playing a video.

Just jack the ranges up in the BIOS. You can't make it commit suicide.
-drl
New Re: Processor usage
Thanks Ross :)

We'd rather not jack up the Bioses, instead I'm gonna try the same experiment with a fan blowing at the open computer.

Nice to know I'm almost at the solution though.

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
Pardon me, but that's a dumb idea. Make the machine live within its own limits. That's WHY the ranges are adjustable!

Moreover, I would still replace the processor fan AS A MATTER OF COURSE every year for a fast processor. They use these weird little motors that can fibrillate when dust gets in them, and you can't get the dust out by blowing on it.
-drl
I don't even know it's acceptable limits yet, I couldn't even find fan speeds for it.

Bottom line though, I only need to archive 6000 or so more posts, so if this works as a temp solution, I don't see the need for a permanent one unless there is really something wrong.

The entire computer, including all the fans, is only 1 year, 4 months and 1 day old, would you still replace the processor fan if it was that new? Just curious.

I never had this problem till I started copying all this data 30 posts at a time, not even when I stayed online all day.

I'm considering all solutions, and John is too, but right now it seems if I archive the posts with the fan on high aimed at the open computer, it doesn't go as high as quickly. And I can't fix it tonight, so it's a temporary fix, for tonight anyway.

I do appreciate your input, Ross, I just can't make decisions on how to fix it, John does that. And he isn't implementing any serious repairs till he gives it a thorough cleaning on the weekend. We're gonna look into it in more depth then.

I'll pass your opinions to him though. :) Thanks.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
Repeat: Processor fans are cranky - they use a kind of brushless motor that can fibrillate (not spin, just shake) when the bearing gets dusty and resistant to turning.

Repeat: The temperature ranges in the BIOS are such that you CAN'T destroy your processor unless you turn off the sensors completely and use a broken fan. There are these nice guys and gals known as "engineers" who figure this stuff out for you. Blowing on the box with a Walmart fan was never part of their design.

You seem not to understand - the processor is going to get hot when it's stressed by an intensive computing job. So what you need to do is make your computer live with its hot processor AFTER taking the precaution that the processor fan is in good shape. Once a fan has begun fibrillating you CAN'T FIX IT by blowing on it. You need to buy a NEW FAN - it's only 10 bucks fer chrissake!
-drl
New Okay, I told him
Repeat: Processor fans are cranky - they use a kind of brushless motor that can fibrillate (not spin, just shake) when the bearing gets dusty and resistant to turning.

Okay, John said he plans to check the fans out more this weekend, that's only a day or so away.

Edit: John just also told me that to make sure the Processor fan was spinning and not fibrillating, he put his finger in the fan and felt the blade hit his fingernail. He said the blade hit his fingernail and he could tell it was spinning that way. (I knew he did something cause I heard a funny noise and he jerked back, but I hadn't known what he did).

Repeat: The temperature ranges in the BIOS are such that you CAN'T destroy your processor unless you turn off the sensors completely and use a broken fan. There are these nice guys and gals known as "engineers" who figure this stuff out for you. Blowing on the box with a Walmart fan was never part of their design.

He doesn't know if the BIOS will adjust the fan speeds for him, but he's gonna look into that this weekend too. He said he needs to research into what the safe speeds should be or are, or something like that.

You seem not to understand - the processor is going to get hot when it's stressed by an intensive computing job. So what you need to do is make your computer live with its hot processor AFTER taking the precaution that the processor fan is in good shape. Once a fan has begun fibrillating you CAN'T FIX IT by blowing on it. You need to buy a NEW FAN - it's only 10 bucks fer chrissake!

I hear you loud and clear, we just can't do it till the weekend, if we determine it needs replacing. so meanwhile, to be careful and get some of the archiving done, I'm using the Walgreens fan to blow on it and keep it a little cooler and archiving one just one file at a time, then letting it rest again before archiving another, so it's cool again.

Question: Would a fibrillating fan make a scritchy sound like someone scratching something on metal? My computer makes that noise very intermittently and it sounds like, well, best description I can give you, is it sounds like when my car engine fan blades were scraping against some metal thingy that got bent into the blade path. Is that a sound it might make?

What we also want to do is find the speed the fan is set at and SHOULD be running at, and then see if the speed matches what it should be, so we can determine if all the fans are ok, or what ones need replacing.

I'm not trying to be stubborn, Ross, like I said, we can't do anything intense to it like that till he's off work and has time to research stuff like temps required and fan speeds. I've looked for some of the info, but I can't seem to find it all.

And at least I've determined it only does it while archiving, so I know now not to archive for hours on end without breaks.

Brenda

Edit: fixed grammar
and P.S. John also turned off spell checker and grammar checker and stuff on Word to see if that makes it work a little less harder. I don't want these documents altered by spell check or anything anyway.

Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 1, 2004, 11:42:21 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 1, 2004, 11:47:48 PM EDT
New Re: Okay, I told him
(slaps head)

The fibrillation can happen any time, as when -GASP- it gets hot because the processor it's sitting on heats up. If it never happened until now, and knowing the dust situation in St. Louis, I'd immediately suspect the fan and replace it REGARDLESS of other considerations.
-drl
New I see
so it wouldn't fibrillate all the time then? It could spin properly sometimes and then not spin properly. Okay, noted.

Would it make that weird scritching sound?

I'll let him know what you said, and I really do appreciate the input.

Nightowl >8#

New Don't know about that
-drl
New Clean the crap off the leading edges of the fan blades.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Will do, Peter
We're gonna unhook him and clean him thoroughly this weekend, I'll tell John to clean the blades too. :)

Nightowl >8#

Nikolai mysteriously overheating - (Nightowl) - (42)
         Rename it Reginald - (deSitter)
         Off hand, that seems to be pretty cool for a processor. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             It's not the Processor Temperature :) - (Nightowl)
         May have found the answer - (Nightowl) - (38)
             Ah was wrong about affects - (Nightowl) - (37)
                 Re: Ah was wrong about affects - (Steven A S) - (19)
                     Not sure about Hard Drives - (Nightowl) - (18)
                         best thing to do is throw that alarm thingy away - (boxley) - (12)
                             Well... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                 Here ya go - (deSitter)
                             rofl agreed - (deSitter) - (9)
                                 of course not - (boxley) - (8)
                                     Oh I beg to differ - (Nightowl) - (7)
                                         He said 'smoke and burning smell,' nothing about a clunk -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                                             Ah ok - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                 certainly the clunk was at fault - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     We never completely determined it - (Nightowl)
                                             Smoke, smell, clunk, dead body in trunk... - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 that is funny as hell. - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Re: that is funny as hell. - (inthane-chan)
                         Re: Not sure about Hard Drives - (Steven A S) - (4)
                             Thanks - (Nightowl)
                             Okay, here is what I know about fans, etc. - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                 Bizarre change - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                     Re: Bizarre change - (Steven A S)
                 Anyway, getting back to Nikolai... - (Nightowl) - (16)
                     you wont know until it breaks :-) -NT - (boxley)
                     Tried an experiment...shocked at the results - (Nightowl) - (14)
                         Processor usage - (deSitter) - (10)
                             Re: Processor usage - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                 Re: Processor usage - (deSitter) - (8)
                                     Re: Processor usage - (Nightowl) - (7)
                                         Re: Processor usage - (deSitter) - (6)
                                             Okay, I told him - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                                 Re: Okay, I told him - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                     I see - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                         Don't know about that -NT - (deSitter)
                                                         Clean the crap off the leading edges of the fan blades. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                             Will do, Peter - (Nightowl)
                         You'd be surprised at what makes a CPU get hot. - (static) - (2)
                             2nd experiment, amazing results! - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                 Real world physics intrude in our digital fancies - (Arkadiy)

They can feed a fine Minze?
93 ms