IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Ah was wrong about affects
Is that near your hard drives? They can tend to heat up a lot.
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New Not sure about Hard Drives
But John said it was in a more "cluttered" area and I asked him what he meant, and he said there was more stuff there. It's under the Power Supply, and nearer the front where all the stuff is mounted, so that probably includes the hard drive.

If I could figure out what speed System Fan 2 should be running at, I could monitor if the rapidly changing numbers are right or wrong, but I'm not sure how to figure out the speed it should be.

For example, it goes from 1240, to 1224, back up to 1245, down to 1220, all in the space of a few seconds. Is that normal?

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
New best thing to do is throw that alarm thingy away
its gonna run until it quits, if there is a burning smell and smoke, turn it off. You dont have your refrigerator or TV set running with a health monitor do you?
thanx,
bill
These miserable swine, having nothing but illusions to live on, marshmallows for the soul in place of good meat, will now stoop to any disgusting level to prevent even those miserable morsels from vanishing into thin air. The country is being destroyed by these stupid, vicious right-wing fanatics, the spiritual brothers of the brownshirts and redstars, collectivists and authoritarians all, who would not know freedom if it bit them on the ass, who spend all their time trying to stamp, bludgeon, and eviscerate the very idea of the individual's right to his own private world. DRL
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Well...
I'd rather not burn up my CPU. If it's a fan, I want to figure out which fan it is and replace it. :)

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
New Here ya go
[link|http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Jun/bch20030627020588.htm|http://www.geek.com/...0030627020588.htm]

You can name this one "Mr. Freeze".
-drl
New rofl agreed
You can jack up the ranges in the BIOS in any case.

But Box - this doesn't work for cars. This - doesn't - work - for - cars.
-drl
New of course not
just because there is a burning smell and smoke is no reason to stop driving.
thanx,
bill
These miserable swine, having nothing but illusions to live on, marshmallows for the soul in place of good meat, will now stoop to any disgusting level to prevent even those miserable morsels from vanishing into thin air. The country is being destroyed by these stupid, vicious right-wing fanatics, the spiritual brothers of the brownshirts and redstars, collectivists and authoritarians all, who would not know freedom if it bit them on the ass, who spend all their time trying to stamp, bludgeon, and eviscerate the very idea of the individual's right to his own private world. DRL
New Oh I beg to differ
A burning smell, smoke and loud clunk made me pull over to the side of the highway while driving dad's car...

Moments later it burst into flame.

Luckily I wasn't in it any more. Wish cars had such alarms!

Nightowl >8#

New He said 'smoke and burning smell,' nothing about a clunk
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Ah ok
So the clunk is what made it catch fire then? ;)

Hehehe!

Nightowl >8#

New certainly the clunk was at fault
a gas powered motor in an older car does not burn fuel efficiently giving off a buning smell. The rings get old so oil escapes into the cylinders an gets burned giving off white smoke, a clunk however means that the motor is now broken, and you can drive a car that is burst in flames, you just dont want to drive it much further than out of traffic. I have done so more than once.
thanx,
bill
New We never completely determined it
But the power steering pump was gong bad, (Dad had been told this and had not got around to having fixed it), and later it was determined by the firemen that the fire started at the power steering pump.

I guess I wasn't aware of old cars doing that burning smell/smoke thing, cause my old car has a new engine. :)

Nightowl >8#

New Smoke, smell, clunk, dead body in trunk...
..kept on steppin' (on it).

Speaking of dead body, how's this for wasted driving?

[link|http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/Nation/story/472EB4A03212537986256F000051AD82?OpenDocument&Headline=Police%3A+Drunken+man+drives+home+after+passenger+decapitated%3B&tetl=1|http://www.stltoday....pitated%3B&tetl=1]

He probably stuck his head out to puke, then the guy eased over thinking in his best drunken logic, "if I pull over he'll miss the door".

Can it be long until we see "Calvin headless" truck stickers?

"NO _EAR"
-drl
New that is funny as hell.
you imagine the speed he had to have been going to get a clean decap like that? Much less the sharp right turn effect, steering thru the bloodspatter on the windshield, his buddy doing the headless chicken tango beside him as he has another pull on his longneck.
thanx,
bill
New Re: that is funny as hell.
A wino sitting there nursing a double shot of vodka shakes and shivers, staring into his glass at the galactic swirl of a trillion red cells dying in the ethanol.

- Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash.

The "another pull on his longneck" brought that to mind...
What will we do when we are Gods?
New Re: Not sure about Hard Drives
you might see if the auto fan speed can be turned off so that the fan in that zone runs full speed. That setting would be in the CMOS if anything.

If there are drives right over that zone, you might consider (if there's room) a fan mounted in front of the drives pulling air between them and out. For purposes of airflow, you'd want to make sure there's a fan pulling air into the case as well
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.

General George S. Patton
New Thanks
I'll ask John. I know it has LOTS of fans, I think 5 or so, but I get mixed up. He bought the case specifically because it had a really good cooling system, and it has a lot of room to work in, it isn't cramped whatsoever.

Oddly enough though, today the temperature in Zone 2 hasn't gotten above 88 once. Still not sure what the problem was yesterday, but it is a lot cooler in here today. My indoor thermometer on the desk says it's 80 in here.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: It says in Nikolai's spec sheet (I created) that the case is a Silver Alunimum Dual Cooling ATX Case.

Expand Edited by Nightowl Aug. 31, 2004, 02:54:23 PM EDT
New Okay, here is what I know about fans, etc.
There are two fans in the front that are intake fans, and I was wrong about the placement of Zone 2. It's actually behind the processor towards the back, near the Power Supply, not near the Hard Drives and other mounted things.

The Power Supply, which is next to the motherboard, does not feel hot. There is a fan mounted right on the CPU, one on the power supply that is an outtake fan, and there's another outtake fan on the back built into the case. That's a total of 5 fans. When the temp was up higher in Zone 2 yesterday, that side of the CPU did feel hotter than the other, but the CPU itself was not that hot.

As for fan speed, John hasn't had a chance to look at speed settings yet, and I'm trying to determine what the safe speed should be, but I need to dig more through my manuals or track down info online. I was very busy today, and didn't do that yet. And I went out tonight to watch some of the World Cup Hockey game, so hopefully I can do more research tonight or tomorrow. I did find a schematic of the board, if that would help diagnose the problem, It's the D845PESV board and it can be found here:

[link|http://www.intel.co.jp/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012552.htm|http://www.intel.co..../sb/CS-012552.htm]

Today it stayed well below 100, never going past 90 at any point that I checked. But we're also running it with the case open, so that may be a factor. John plans to clean it out completely with compressed air on the weekend, so right now I'm just watching it.

I appreciate all the input.

Nightowl >8#

New Bizarre change
It's almost 1 am, the temperature in the room is about 80, and suddenly the temp in Zone 2 started rising again. I checked on it repeatedly, and it hit 104 before starting back down.

While it was heating up, I felt Zone 2 (I know how now) and it did feel warmer. I can't figure out what was heating it up, all the fans were blowing. Only difference from earlier today when it never went up was the small fan blowing on me and the computer from behind me. It wasn't on tonight.

John joked it was all the copying and pasting into Word I was doing yesterday, cause I did a lot. Surely that wouldn't be the case right? What's weird though, is I was not doing it earlier today, but was doing it now, when the temp went up. Coincidence?

This gets more and more mysterious, I swear.

Nightowl >8#

New Re: Bizarre change
Considering the location, and you say the power supply isn't overly hot; the best that I can come up with is that you're getting a dead air pocket between the side of the PS and the motherboard. Having a room fan blowing on the open computer would get the air flowing through that pocket allowing it to cool better.

Newer power supplys actually have two fans; one on the back side like the traditional units (blowing out), and one underneath the unit pulling air away from the CPU. If you don't have one of these PS units, you might consider getting one. Beyond that, I don't have any ideas.
~~~)-Steven----

General George S. Patton
     Nikolai mysteriously overheating - (Nightowl) - (42)
         Rename it Reginald - (deSitter)
         Off hand, that seems to be pretty cool for a processor. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             It's not the Processor Temperature :) - (Nightowl)
         May have found the answer - (Nightowl) - (38)
             Ah was wrong about affects - (Nightowl) - (37)
                 Re: Ah was wrong about affects - (Steven A S) - (19)
                     Not sure about Hard Drives - (Nightowl) - (18)
                         best thing to do is throw that alarm thingy away - (boxley) - (12)
                             Well... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                 Here ya go - (deSitter)
                             rofl agreed - (deSitter) - (9)
                                 of course not - (boxley) - (8)
                                     Oh I beg to differ - (Nightowl) - (7)
                                         He said 'smoke and burning smell,' nothing about a clunk -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                                             Ah ok - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                 certainly the clunk was at fault - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     We never completely determined it - (Nightowl)
                                             Smoke, smell, clunk, dead body in trunk... - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 that is funny as hell. - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Re: that is funny as hell. - (inthane-chan)
                         Re: Not sure about Hard Drives - (Steven A S) - (4)
                             Thanks - (Nightowl)
                             Okay, here is what I know about fans, etc. - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                 Bizarre change - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                     Re: Bizarre change - (Steven A S)
                 Anyway, getting back to Nikolai... - (Nightowl) - (16)
                     you wont know until it breaks :-) -NT - (boxley)
                     Tried an experiment...shocked at the results - (Nightowl) - (14)
                         Processor usage - (deSitter) - (10)
                             Re: Processor usage - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                 Re: Processor usage - (deSitter) - (8)
                                     Re: Processor usage - (Nightowl) - (7)
                                         Re: Processor usage - (deSitter) - (6)
                                             Okay, I told him - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                                 Re: Okay, I told him - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                     I see - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                         Don't know about that -NT - (deSitter)
                                                         Clean the crap off the leading edges of the fan blades. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                             Will do, Peter - (Nightowl)
                         You'd be surprised at what makes a CPU get hot. - (static) - (2)
                             2nd experiment, amazing results! - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                 Real world physics intrude in our digital fancies - (Arkadiy)

See. All my little jokes have layers upon layers.
152 ms