IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Houston's 'Streetcar Named Disaster'

Once called the ''train to nowhere,'' Houston's new rail line between downtown and the Astrodome is earning a few new nicknames -- ''Danger Train,'' the ''Wham Bam Tram,'' ''A Streetcar Named Disaster.''

More than 50 collisions have occurred along the 7.5-mile route since it opened in November, most of them with cars making illegal turns across the tracks.

Rail promoters promised the sleek, gray trains would take cars off the road -- ''they've just done it one car at a time,'' said John Gaver, who started the Wham-Bam-Tram counter, a Web site that tallies each crash.

The MetroRail averages six crashes a month -- a rate 20 times worse than the national average for the nation's 17 light rail systems, according to the Federal Transit Administration.

[link|http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-train11.html|source]
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New But our Metro Link does it better
Full size engines at 60 to 70 mph through the San Fernando Valley assure you won't feel a thing. A good portion of Metro Link deaths are deliberate.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: Houston's 'Streetcar Named Disaster'
St. Louis and Denver have light rail systems and their accident rate is vanishingly small.

Atlanta has heavy rail and it is entering the "unmaintainable expensive disaster" realm.
-drl
When the light rail was first installed in Denver, there were quite a few accidents. I think it took a few crashes for people to learn to respect the thing.

All in all, the light rail is much loved here, and is going through a major expansion right now, with another expansion to be on the ballot in November.
--
Steve
I know, I was on it :)

I remember two fatal crashes, at least one of which was the driver's fault.
-drl
New Trains & streetcars hitting cars
I've always been perplexed when that happens. Seems pretty obvious to avoid. STAY OFF THE TRACKS! Trains and streetcars usually travel in one direction, straight ahead. No swerving, no quick turns and slow braking. Uh hello drivers?! I was a witness to such a thing several years ago on Spadina here in Toronto. Streetcars run down the middle of the road. At the time cars could venture on to the tracks. One idiot woman in her minivan thought she could quickly do a u-turn and beat an oncoming streetcar. *SMUNCH* She wasn't seriously hurt but was whailing away. Didn't feel sorry for her at all. Probably tied up traffic for an hour or so. Hopefully her insurance skyrocketed and got charged.

Due to the number of such "accidents" ugly green poles were put up along most of the way to prevent cars making such turns. Later they were thankfully ditched for a raised concrete curb.

Idiots.

Then there was the recent moron who despite railway crossing signs blinking and blaring he left his van on the tracks while in traffic. Well guess what happened? Gee a train appeared and plowed into his van. He was unhurt but his wife and two year old kid had some injuried as they were on the passenger side of the van where it was hit. Had the wife been in the front seat she would likely have died. Yeah there were no barriers at the crossing but the lights and sounds including the train horn should be a tipoff that a train is coming. Even then when you see the train, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE VAN!
lister
New There was one down in Burbank, I believe . . .
. . about 30 years ago. Woman with a car full of kids was on the tracks when the gates came down. Didn't try to rush the gates or go around, she left the car there and tried to get the kids out. Didn't get them all out. Those gates are flimsy, on purpose, for a reason.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I thought in a no fault place your insurance rates would go
up as opposed to hers.
thanx,
bill
"delayed incessantly by people whose prevalent qualification was an excess of free-time" Philip Atkinson
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New I haven't had a lot of claims experience
Despite having a no fault-esque system, if you do something stupid, especially either outrageously stupid or repeatedly stupid your insurance rates WILL go up. In fact you'll find yourself back in facility where you'll pay extortionate rates. As well as it should be for such cases as I've mentioned. If some fuckhead breaks into my car, where I live in a pretty good area, my rates shouldn't go up. That's the theory anyways. It's hard to tell since the insurance industry lost a great deal of money (supposedly) a few years ago in the stock market and are trying to make up for it off the public's backs. The insurance industry made a fairly healthy profit last year... There's been a very loud outcry for public insurance like what BC has or a hybrid where the basic insurance is government run and the frills are privately run. Competition works in some areas but not so well in others. I don't like the fact that insurance companies are trying to make a profit off my insurance payments. Same with our private electricity market. A collossal mistake that was by the Tories and now Liberals who are keeping things the same despite election promises otherwise...
lister
New hydro got privatized? Considering that its water power
and nuke (mostly) how could the finacing to privatise ever get down? huge discounts? sales to insiders?
thanx,
bill
"delayed incessantly by people whose prevalent qualification was an excess of free-time" Philip Atkinson
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New What Metro System would do Streetcars in 2004?
Only for nostalgic purposes. Places like San Fran.

Traffic moves way too fast and people either aren't smart enough to get out of the way or they have a "death wish".

Light rail with crossing arms and the whole nine yards. Seems to work fine in Dallas. If they try to go around the crossing arms then they have a death wish. Also, I like the grade separations on key intersections, so the train doesn't hold up us polluting drivers.

I would use the light rail, if it came by my work. But it doesn't even get close. One of my friends tried to commute from Arlington, TX to Carrollton, TX and it took 2 1/2 hours. Population density is high enough only along Central Expressway. Population density is high enough along the Dallas North Tollway, but they didn't plan for it, so it's too late now.

Glen

New Never mind....
I went back and reread the article.

THIS IS LIGHT RAIL. And the drivers are too stupid to respect the crossing arms. So, the Darwin effect kicks in. I'll see if we can get a law passed in Texas that prevents their families from suing the Metro Authority.

Glen
Expand Edited by gdaustin Aug. 11, 2004, 07:13:16 PM EDT
     Houston's 'Streetcar Named Disaster' - (lincoln) - (11)
         But our Metro Link does it better - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Houston's 'Streetcar Named Disaster' - (deSitter) - (2)
             Re: Houston's 'Streetcar Named Disaster' - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                 Re: Houston's 'Streetcar Named Disaster' - (deSitter)
         Trains & streetcars hitting cars - (lister) - (4)
             There was one down in Burbank, I believe . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             I thought in a no fault place your insurance rates would go - (boxley) - (2)
                 I haven't had a lot of claims experience - (lister) - (1)
                     hydro got privatized? Considering that its water power - (boxley)
         What Metro System would do Streetcars in 2004? - (gdaustin) - (1)
             Never mind.... - (gdaustin)

Conical spray... with sesame seeds!
47 ms