IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I dislike unnamed sources - NOT unamed any more
as leading to a settlement that satisfies all sides.

Given what's happened, that's not the choice of words I'd pick.

Additionally, I don't know if that's a message, or the US Armed Forces being actively surprised again. Their track record's spotty on that.

Addison
New Surprises are a given
When there's a war on, the premium in the armed forces is people who can win battles and/or wars.

Between wars, the military becomes just another bureaucracy: advancement comes to those who do politics and appearances best. White rocks, spiffy uniforms (berets anyone?) and sucking up to congresscritters yield promotion. After some time, all the important positions are held by politicians, not soldiers. The proablem is not alleviated by our practice, since Truman, of using the military as a social experimentation lab. The success -- debatable, according to some of my sources -- of racial integration has led to calls for like integration of gays and women.

Then comes the war, and the military forces are basically congresscritters in nifty suits. We -- the U.S. -- have pretty much a policy of not attacking; this means that whoever we're fighting will have reorganized their military to be more effective prior to the war, so our guys are hopelessly outclassed. Bullets, bombs, claymore mines, etc., are notoriously immune to political infighting. As a result, we start out 'way behind the curve.

"We always sacrifice a few of our comrades to the Liberals," said Gen. Muraschenko (science fiction fans are encouraged to find the original of that).

As the war progresses, the soldiers win and the politicians lose, and the criteria for promotion change -- eventually we start getting Pattons, and the tide turns. The trick is to hold on until the politicians get worked out of the system. It worked in WWII; it may not be possible any more, since it takes time, and by the time the deadwood starts getting piled, the "news cycle" has turned and the whole thing isn't newsworthy. This may mean we can no longer win wars.
Regards,
Ric

"Given what's happened, that's not the choice of words I'd pick."

From my knowledge of military & press briefings & politics, Rumsfield would not be supporting such admissions in public press releases unless they serve a purpose. The logic I am applying here is that when progress is being made we can make what appear to be concessions & this looks like one. Being antagonistic to Afghan (any factions) wouldn't achieve the same progress & the fact that the Afghan council in Peshwar issued their condemnation of the Sept 11 attacks and at same time US says what tough warriors the Taliban are, just looks exactly like an agreed set of compromise statements. That this same council bluntly told OBL to buggar off is all just very coincidental.

I am sure a settlemnent is in the air.

Cheers

Doug

From my knowledge of military & press briefings & politics, Rumsfield would not be supporting such admissions in public press releases unless they serve a purpose.

You missed the point.

You said that "satisfies everybody". With a death toll pushing 7000 or so, what with the US bombings, and etc - I don't think *anybody* should be "satisfied" about any solution.

It might be acceptable, but I'd not say "satisfactory".

Addison

Thank god I missed the point - points can be dangerous.

Cheers

Doug
     Taliban strength surprises Pentagon - (bluke) - (33)
         I dislike unnamed sources - (wharris2) - (10)
             Re: I am wary of the poisoning threat - (dmarker2)
             Kosovo conflict was won by precision bombing... - (Arkadiy)
             Re: I dislike unnamed sources - NOT unamed any more - (dmarker2) - (7)
                 Re: I dislike unnamed sources - NOT unamed any more - (addison) - (4)
                     Surprises are a given - (Ric Locke)
                     Re: I dislike unnamed sources - NOT unamed any more - (dmarker2) - (2)
                         Re: I dislike unnamed sources - NOT unamed any more - (addison) - (1)
                             Re: I dislike unnamed sources - NOT unamed any more - (dmarker2)
                 News sources my ascii - (wharris2) - (1)
                     Re: News sources my ascii - (dmarker2)
         Sun Tzu: Estimates - (kmself) - (21)
             Re: Sun Tzu: Estimates - (dmarker2) - (20)
                 Survival of who? - (addison) - (13)
                     Re: Survival of who? - (dmarker2) - (12)
                         Re: Survival of who? - (addison) - (11)
                             Re: Survival of who? - (dmarker2) - (6)
                                 In the same vein, - (addison) - (5)
                                     Re: In the same vein, - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                         Re: In the same vein, - (addison) - (3)
                                             Re: In the same vein, - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                 Re: In the same vein, - (addison) - (1)
                                                     Heh.. last post - (Ashton)
                             hate to ruin a perfectly degenerating thread - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Re: hate to ruin a perfectly degenerating thread - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                     Distinction: 055 brigade vs Afghan soldiers - (brettj) - (1)
                                         links? proves? -NT - (boxley)
                 Re: Sun Tzu: Estimates - (kmself) - (5)
                     Re: Sun Tzu: Estimates - (dmarker2) - (4)
                         Re: Sun Tzu: Estimates - (addison) - (3)
                             Re: Sun Tzu: Estimates - (wharris2) - (2)
                                 Ah.. the unbiased-idiot report: thanks for clarifying - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Yes of course. - (wharris2)

Wie geht es Ihnen?
116 ms