IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it
I'm an engineer, so my default viewpoint tends to value applied math.
I do tend to be suspicious of people with no engineering or scientific background fitting themselves in an engineering envirionment as a peer of engineers. That's just me.
New Understandable
I can understand why your default viewpoint values applied math.

But the fact that you know more of the math that you value doesn't mean that you know more math than the other person that you're dealing with. The areas of math that you know is a much smaller part of math than you likely realize.

OTOH I definitely hear your doubt of non-engineers in engineering positions. But Andrew Grygus has some things to say on that topic that I hope you hear some day...

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it
Right - it's a mindset more than a skillset. "Let's make this thing." This isn't a knock of math education.

I would say, go back and get the engineering MS, but guess what? You'd join the growing list of unemployed American engineers. Check out the stats for unemployment among EEs, the cream of the crop. EE is as hard as physics as a degree program - maybe harder because of labs.
-drl
     There are alternatives - (orion) - (25)
         Re: There are alternatives - (deSitter) - (24)
             Well what can I do to help then? - (orion) - (23)
                 You can't - (hnick) - (22)
                     Re: You can't - (Nightowl) - (1)
                         Re: You can't - (deSitter)
                     Re: You can't - (deSitter) - (19)
                         When I was down and out - (orion) - (1)
                             Re: When I was down and out - (deSitter)
                         I wasn't referring to jobs - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             Re: I wasn't referring to jobs - (deSitter)
                         Apparently there are different levels of prostitution - (hnick) - (14)
                             WTF? - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                 B.A. in math - (hnick) - (9)
                                     Ah yes. That's a "teaching" degree. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         That position seems like uninformed BS to me -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                             You gotta be so serious all the time? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 That's the second time that I've been accused of that today - (ben_tilly)
                                     What is any math degree good for? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                         As a person with a grad Math degree myself, - (mmoffitt)
                                         Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it - (hnick) - (2)
                                             Understandable - (ben_tilly)
                                             Re: Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it - (deSitter)
                             Don't you do php? - (drewk) - (2)
                                 no php so far. - (hnick) - (1)
                                     You're doomed - (deSitter)

That thing has got to be the most relentlessly LRPDistic movie ever made.
97 ms