IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There are alternatives
Do you still have the United Way phone numbers I gave you a long time ago? Did you try to contact any of them? Try any local Churches? Are you a Vetran, if so did you try any of the Vetran services?

You could also get a PO Box, they are inexpensive and your mail can go to there. Instead of PO Box, use Apt or Ste instead, you should still get your mail and it will look like a regular address to employers. Just that the government won't accept PO Boxes for addresses, so beware of that.

Is your father still living? If so you can use his address and get the mail forwarded to your PO Box. All you have to do is just live there for a short time or have your father say that you live there.

My wife's Uncle collects SSI and Disability and has his mail forwarded to a PO Box, they do a direct deposit to his bank account so no need to send a check. He has no home and lives with his children and moves around a lot. His children are grown up now, but cannot get the jobs they need to fully support themselves. He used to have a trailer, but sold it because he needed the money to support his children. He might be listing one of their addresses as his perminate address. So use a family member's address and forward the mail to your PO Box. Should work fine.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: There are alternatives
Norm don't try to help this way, it only makes things worse.
-drl
New Well what can I do to help then?
I am out of ideas, you have me stumped.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New You can't
He has set the conditions such that you can not help him.
Our society, such as it is, requires that those of us not wealthy, must needs prostitute themselves to survive. He most probably understands the game but is unwilling to play for reasons of his own. Evolution in action is not usually pretty. The outcome is rather predictable.
I find this a sadness and a waste. But YMMV.

entropy increases,
Hugh
New Re: You can't
Similar to what I was thinking of posting.

Only he can help himself now and he seems to be choosing not to, so until he changes his mind about it and accepts help or asks for some, best to let him deal with it how he's chosen.

In another lifetime I might have taken a more active role in trying to help him at the very beginning, but I pretty much stopped inviting homeless friends in to live with me after my experience with Michael.... someone who made me wake up to the fact that you can't help someone unless they CHOOSE the help, even if you provide all their room and board, and etc. If they choose to remain problematic, they will, and he did.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: Not to mention, when John and I moved here, we decided on the policy of NOT having any desolate friends live here with us for any reason, which was a smart decision.

"Don't be a cynic and disconsolate preacher. Don't bewail and moan. Omit the negative propositions. Challenge us with incessant affirmatives. Don't waste yourself in rejection, or bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Expand Edited by Nightowl March 10, 2004, 06:31:06 PM EST
What utter bullshit.
-drl
Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I will do what it takes to survive. Unfortunately my legs are a disaster, the circulation is such that I cannot be on them for much time without them becoming filled with blood. I still have a nickel-sized hole and open cave in my right one. Thus any job requiring me to be on my feet for any length of time is impossible. I also cannot sit still for hours on end or the blood will pool with clots a certainty, ruling out a driving job. All I can do is office work, where I can get up and down frequently and keep moving around. There are no office jobs to be had. I can't do labor jobs. What do you suggest? I have already "prostituted" myself over and over again - this isn't pride, it's simply not possible for me to get a "Joe" job that an employer will allow me to do.
-drl
New When I was down and out
I tried temp agencies, I got jobs working in a lock box of a bank counting checks and entering the amounts into computers, data entry work, even light industrial work. That is what worked for me. Eventually I find a good paying job.

New Re: When I was down and out
Like I said, don't try to help. You can't. Sorry.
-drl
New I wasn't referring to jobs
I was referring to agencies/relatives, etc. that could help.

Nightowl >8#

"Don't be a cynic and disconsolate preacher. Don't bewail and moan. Omit the negative propositions. Challenge us with incessant affirmatives. Don't waste yourself in rejection, or bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
New Re: I wasn't referring to jobs
1) There is only one "agency", the Federal govt. and that is too far out in the future.

2) I have no relatives who are in a position or frame of mind to help.
-drl
New Apparently there are different levels of prostitution
You have to tell the marks what they want to hear.
Telling a liberal arts math major who heads an IT group that you know more about math than s/he does is not going to get you the gig.
You've been around the block enough to know that the right answer is the one that gets the job. So you ask your self, "What do they want to hear". Then you tell them. Curiously, that's also a means of expressing competence, icky as it seems.
If it helps, I may soon be in the same boat. My (very high profile internally, not too noticable outside) project shipped today. There is no discussion of the next phase. Our group is down to 5 from 12 a year ago. The only openings posted on the internal job board in my area, are posted by an asian who has a history of only picking up asians. He's looking for 2. Looks like I'm going to be dropping my drawers on the open market soon.
I'm switching to Bushmills from beer. Don't take anything more from me seriously tonight.

except: entropy does increase, but there is still energy coming into the system. You can still break even.

New WTF?
a liberal arts math major

WTFIT??? I've known liberal arts majors and I've known math majors (am one myself, in fact), but I've never known a "liberal arts math major".
bcnu,
Mikem

I don't do third world languages. So no, I don't do Java.
New B.A. in math
No engineering or science core courses. I have no idea what it's good for.
New Ah yes. That's a "teaching" degree.
Any more questions about why our math/science education sucks rocks?
bcnu,
Mikem

New That position seems like uninformed BS to me
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New You gotta be so serious all the time?
Actually, a BA in math in the colleges and universities I went to was not an easy program. The difference in most cases between the BS and BA options were that some of the more advanced senior level courses that were a part of the BS programs were replaced with education courses.

In truth, just because it's a Bachelor of Arts does most emphatically not mean that it is a "liberal arts" degree.

The mistake really isn't mine, I was just playing along.
bcnu,
Mikem

New That's the second time that I've been accused of that today
In this case, though, I still think that my reaction was reasonable.

It wasn't at all clear that you were joking, and hnick really strongly appears not to be joking.

As for what a BA vs a BSc in math is, that may vary strongly by school. You may have gone to a school where a BA in math has an education flavour, but I certainly didn't. Get the degree where I went to undergrad and it is a BSc, get it where I went to graduate school and the same thing would be a BA. (Actually the real name would be a Latin variation of the same.)

In that spirit I should note that I have an Artium Magistri degree in math from Dartmouth College. I was told that outside of the College I should refer to it as an MA or MSc (my choice) because nobody knows what an AM degree is, and it is equivalent. If the department is asked whether I have an MSc in Math, they will say, "Yes". But since the actual name is Latin for Master of Arts, it is more accurate for me to claim an MA.

Which is why I was flabbergasted at your claim that a BA in math was an education degree.

Cheers,
BEn
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New What is any math degree good for?
It is good for what a regular math degree is good for. Going on in math, getting jobs that require a university degree, and going on to become something like a lawyer.

Understanding fields in which there are historical applications of math is not required to understand math perfectly well. Furthermore (depending on your interests) it is possible to find all sorts of applications of math outside of the sciences. A few non-science areas where a math background would be good include social sciences (particularly if your math had a focus on statistics), law school, and philosophy.

You may have had issues with other things about this person. But the degree described seems quite reasonable to me. At least from my perspective as someone with a graduate-level math education.

Cheers,
Ben
New As a person with a grad Math degree myself,
I would point out that perhaps the most important thing the study of mathematics provides is not its value as vocational training, but that it teaches you how to think logically. This is especially true (if you don't go the applied route) in graduate school. Most non-mathematics majors I encounter are quite surprised when I tell them that in the last 3 semesters of graduate classes I took none of my textbooks had numbers in them, except to ennumerate problems to be solved, and none of "the answers" involved numbers at all.

I think that's the real tragedy of the general population's understanding of mathematics - they think its all about finding some numerical answer. In short, that all of mathematics is merely arithmetic!
bcnu,
Mikem

New Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it
I'm an engineer, so my default viewpoint tends to value applied math.
I do tend to be suspicious of people with no engineering or scientific background fitting themselves in an engineering envirionment as a peer of engineers. That's just me.
New Understandable
I can understand why your default viewpoint values applied math.

But the fact that you know more of the math that you value doesn't mean that you know more math than the other person that you're dealing with. The areas of math that you know is a much smaller part of math than you likely realize.

OTOH I definitely hear your doubt of non-engineers in engineering positions. But Andrew Grygus has some things to say on that topic that I hope you hear some day...

Cheers,
Ben
New Re: Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it
Right - it's a mindset more than a skillset. "Let's make this thing." This isn't a knock of math education.

I would say, go back and get the engineering MS, but guess what? You'd join the growing list of unemployed American engineers. Check out the stats for unemployment among EEs, the cream of the crop. EE is as hard as physics as a degree program - maybe harder because of labs.
-drl
New Don't you do php?
Send me a resume. drew.kime mtginfo com
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New no php so far.
Mostly C/C++, various assemblers, Perl, shell scripting, a little Java, and other stuff that I pick up as I need and forget as soon as convienient.

I suppose I ought to update my resume as it's about 4 years out of date. If you're still interested when I finish, I'll send you a copy.

Thanks,
Hugh
New You're doomed
Idiot idioms (like php) are now the demand. Paper hiring is worse than ever. You will not be seen as a person. C is worthless experience. Make up a plausible fictional resume NOW featuring extensive Java (I'll back you up) and learn enough to bullshit your way through an interview. After you get the job it won't matter anyway.

PS: I'm half serious.
-drl
     There are alternatives - (orion) - (25)
         Re: There are alternatives - (deSitter) - (24)
             Well what can I do to help then? - (orion) - (23)
                 You can't - (hnick) - (22)
                     Re: You can't - (Nightowl) - (1)
                         Re: You can't - (deSitter)
                     Re: You can't - (deSitter) - (19)
                         When I was down and out - (orion) - (1)
                             Re: When I was down and out - (deSitter)
                         I wasn't referring to jobs - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             Re: I wasn't referring to jobs - (deSitter)
                         Apparently there are different levels of prostitution - (hnick) - (14)
                             WTF? - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                 B.A. in math - (hnick) - (9)
                                     Ah yes. That's a "teaching" degree. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         That position seems like uninformed BS to me -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                             You gotta be so serious all the time? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 That's the second time that I've been accused of that today - (ben_tilly)
                                     What is any math degree good for? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                         As a person with a grad Math degree myself, - (mmoffitt)
                                         Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it - (hnick) - (2)
                                             Understandable - (ben_tilly)
                                             Re: Sure, I suppose that's why they offer it - (deSitter)
                             Don't you do php? - (drewk) - (2)
                                 no php so far. - (hnick) - (1)
                                     You're doomed - (deSitter)

This is your brain on bad interior design. Any questions?
297 ms