IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We're on the boundaries of my knowledge.
So I not an expert in the area.

Was all this supported by police state repression far and wide (including unfriendly clerics)?

I couldn't find a quick link discussing it, but many of the older libraries were protected by Muslims (or would have been, had not crusading christians burned them), so back then, Islam was by far more tolerant of other religions and writings, than say, the Church.

Islam's response to the citizens of a conquered city who begged that their library be spared: "If what is in these books is not in the Koran, than it is false. If it is in the Koran, then it is redundant".

Could be. Again, the distributed nature of Islam means its even harder than the middle age christian church to describe monotypically.

As for the Renaisance, note the predominance of pagan themes in Renaisance art, not Islamic themes. Contributions from the courts of the Islamic rulers seem to be mostly "hard science" (mathematics, chemistry) which would be relatively safe.

My dependancy was not that it was themed - but the fact that Islam was making discoveries that were potentially threatining, and they beat back the Crusades. The learning and discoveries spread from the east, westward.

Addison
New I'm no expert either, but I'd like to put that another way:
Addison writes:
I couldn't find a quick link discussing it, but many of the older libraries were protected by Muslims (or would have been, had not crusading christians burned them)
...or, IOW (and according to all we know from history): Of the few books that *did* survive the Middle Ages, most of them did so *despite* Christianity and *thanks to Islam*.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New But...but....
aren't you the man that knows fucking everything???

: ducks.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Some stuff is so obvious, don't need to be Xpert to know it
     Pakistani revolution predicted - (bluke) - (29)
         Re: I'm lazy ... - (dmarker2)
         err the general in charge IS an Islamic fundamentalist? -NT - (boxley) - (27)
             Err . . apparently he doesn't go to the right mosque. - (Andrew Grygus) - (26)
                 Can't say that. - (addison) - (24)
                     Did this "Islamic Golden Age" ever extend . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (23)
                         We're on the boundaries of my knowledge. - (addison) - (3)
                             I'm no expert either, but I'd like to put that another way: - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 But...but.... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     Some stuff is so obvious, don't need to be Xpert to know it -NT - (CRConrad)
                         I believe it did - a personal anecdote - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                             Surprised you didn't mention Al'Khwarizmi (~790-850 AD). - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                 Follow the link - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                     Indeed. I should have read more of the link. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                         3 to 1, 2, 1. Probability factor of 1 to 1 - (bepatient) - (2)
                                             ^^ This is irritating ^^ -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 If there had been enough time... - (bepatient)
                         Re: Addison is making sense - you are not winning this arg - (dmarker2) - (7)
                             But he is open to evidence. - (brettj) - (2)
                                 Interesting nugget - (boxley)
                                 Re: But he is open to evidence - yes - (dmarker2)
                             The point was deliberately inflamitory . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 This is part of what made this thread interesting. - (brettj) - (1)
                                     Oh yeah? - (Silverlock)
                                 Are you sure - (cwbrenn)
                         Yup, AFAIK, it did. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             So, then, what happened? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 And when? - (wharris2)
                                 I am no scholar but... - (ben_tilly)
                 In that case, who the fsck CARES what they say?!? - (jb4)

It's all in the pronunciation.
79 ms