IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That isn't a mile
When I started, my first task was the install the operating system of my choice on a machine that was handed to me. Something pretty Unix-like was mandated because I had to get our full development environment up and running. Dual boot is not suggested, but at some point I'll probably install vmware...

Out of curiousity, what reason was given by the programmers for installing Windows 95? While breaking everything is pretty bad, if the software that they were developing actually had to run on Windows 95, then they are justified in wanting an install around.

I'm remembering a situation years ago where I had constant issues with administrators who didn't want me to have Access 2.0 installed when my job was specifically developing Access applications that had to be able to run at other sites on Windows 3.1. When silly sysadmins came in direct conflict with my job description and my manager's direct orders, the sysadmins lost. (OTOH I did manage to convince the sysadmins that this was a justified change on my part...)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: That isn't a mile
Certainly they were justified, and I had a workable plan for dual booting the machines in such a way that they weren't ruined (our whole operation ran on Windows for Workgroups with UNIX back end). I'm real easy and not at all a control freak, but I have reasons for doing things. This one programmer was just a sloppy fat asshole and he lorded it over the others. His ass got REAMED for his stunt, which was fun.
-drl
     Discussion fodder: Are Admins Evil? - (pwhysall) - (19)
         He is whining a bit - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             Well... - (folkert)
         A key point was: - (a6l6e6x)
         nappy filler - (boxley)
         I can see both sides - (ben_tilly) - (5)
             I heard that Ben... - (folkert) - (1)
                 Why do you assume...? - (ben_tilly)
             Re: I can see both sides - (deSitter) - (2)
                 That isn't a mile - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Re: That isn't a mile - (deSitter)
         You know YOU are evil, but pure? - (broomberg) - (2)
             ROFL!!!! - (deSitter)
             Age is nothing to do with it :) - (pwhysall)
         Some are, some aren't - (tuberculosis) - (5)
             70/30? Lucky guy - (drewk) - (4)
                 A-Freakin-Men, me droog! -NT - (folkert)
                 Re: 70/30? Lucky guy - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Not always... - (folkert) - (1)
                         Think I'd rather work for you - (Ashton)

The last time he socialized with us, he got flamed like a mosquito in a bug zapper.
162 ms