IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: If you send not to machine names, but...
I think Messenger only goes to NetBIOS names, something that can show up in NET SHOW (basically, Network Neig..."Computers I find Near and Dear").

-drl
New "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ?
Isn't Messenger some GUI "chat" thingy (that probably does NET SENDs behind the scenes)?

I *know* the command-line "NET SEND <destination> <message>" command works with UserIDs, not just machine names, as the <destination>; the only question is, does that help avoid the stack-of-dialog-boxes on machines where there was nobody to respond.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Resident [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=119792|zIWETHEY pilkunnussija]
New NET SEND Help

The syntax of this command is:

NET SEND
{name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

Yes there is an option for a domain or users. I tried sending it to the Administrators group and I got this error:

C:\\>net send Administrators Test
An error occurred while sending a message to ADMINISTRATORS.

The message alias could not be found on the network.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

I think it expects a systemID for the name field.

I remember this before, I had to send a message to only certain users and basically had to create a VB program to read a text box for the message and another one for a list of users' workstation names to send it to. It would loop through each stationID and shell to DOS to send the message one at a time.

Sadly I left the code for that behind at the workplace I was let go from. It should not be that hard to recreate, but alas I don't have the time to recreate it.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ?
"Windows Messenger" in 3.x and 95 was a popup text box for displaying LAN Manager messages, which get sent to specific machines or domains/workgroups. "Windows Messenger Service" is the corresponding legacy service that pops up these messages on an informational dialog box.

And yes, I just checked, later versions of NET can send to individual users. The NT 4 NET SEND only went to machines. Most people disable the Messenger Service, because while doing a backup, they prefer not to be reminded of how small a penis they are sporting (Messenger spam).
-drl
New Alternatively...
...I drop all netBIOS traffic (inbound and outbound) at the firewall.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New So if Darrell's gang use W2K or later, they could try my way
     NET SEND to all except a few systems? - (SpiceWare) - (42)
         Send to group -NT - (Silverlock)
         If you send not to machine names, but... - (CRConrad) - (6)
             Re: If you send not to machine names, but... - (deSitter) - (5)
                 "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     NET SEND Help - (orion)
                     Re: "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ? - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Alternatively... - (pwhysall)
                         So if Darrell's gang use W2K or later, they could try my way -NT - (CRConrad)
         update - (SpiceWare)
         Re: NET SEND to all except a few systems? - (qstephens) - (32)
             ROFL - (deSitter) - (31)
                 It inspires me - (orion) - (30)
                     Re: It inspires me - (deSitter) - (22)
                         On this we agree - (orion)
                         Windows has no user context? - (Arkadiy) - (20)
                             process-level user context - (deSitter) - (19)
                                 I am still at a loss as to what you mean -NT - (Arkadiy) - (18)
                                     A login is a profile - (orion)
                                     Re: I am still at a loss as to what you mean - (deSitter) - (16)
                                         You're much mistaken - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                                             Can you be logged in as two people at once? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                 Not log in, no. - (admin) - (3)
                                                     I'll tuck that away in case I ever need it -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                     Yes you can and it is a weak security system - (orion) - (1)
                                                         Re: Yes you can and it is a weak security system - (pwhysall)
                                                 Certainly - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                     Re: Certainly - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                         You keep hearing yourself, not me - (Arkadiy)
                                             Re: You're much mistaken - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                 What does hiererchy of processes have to do with it? - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                                     Re: What does hiererchy of processes have to do with it? - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                         I am not sure what NT_AUTHORITY is - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                             Except: - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                 RIght you are -NT - (Arkadiy)
                                                                 Bottom line - (pwhysall)
                     Careful there . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                         Does it really? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             I don't remember all the details . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 The licenses are more forgiving than you think - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Really interesting issue - (orion)
                         Bah! I'll make it freeware then. - (orion)
                     that's what I did - (SpiceWare)

Firecracker!
92 ms