IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If you send not to machine names, but...
...to User IDs in stead, doesn't that get the message sent only to those users that are logged on at the moment? That's how I thought it worked; sorry if this is way wrong... But if you aren't sure yourself, and on the chance that it isn't, it could be worth a quick impromptu test.

HTH!

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Resident [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=119792|zIWETHEY pilkunnussija]
New Re: If you send not to machine names, but...
I think Messenger only goes to NetBIOS names, something that can show up in NET SHOW (basically, Network Neig..."Computers I find Near and Dear").

-drl
New "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ?
Isn't Messenger some GUI "chat" thingy (that probably does NET SENDs behind the scenes)?

I *know* the command-line "NET SEND <destination> <message>" command works with UserIDs, not just machine names, as the <destination>; the only question is, does that help avoid the stack-of-dialog-boxes on machines where there was nobody to respond.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Resident [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=119792|zIWETHEY pilkunnussija]
New NET SEND Help

The syntax of this command is:

NET SEND
{name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

Yes there is an option for a domain or users. I tried sending it to the Administrators group and I got this error:

C:\\>net send Administrators Test
An error occurred while sending a message to ADMINISTRATORS.

The message alias could not be found on the network.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

I think it expects a systemID for the name field.

I remember this before, I had to send a message to only certain users and basically had to create a VB program to read a text box for the message and another one for a list of users' workstation names to send it to. It would loop through each stationID and shell to DOS to send the message one at a time.

Sadly I left the code for that behind at the workplace I was let go from. It should not be that hard to recreate, but alas I don't have the time to recreate it.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ?
"Windows Messenger" in 3.x and 95 was a popup text box for displaying LAN Manager messages, which get sent to specific machines or domains/workgroups. "Windows Messenger Service" is the corresponding legacy service that pops up these messages on an informational dialog box.

And yes, I just checked, later versions of NET can send to individual users. The NT 4 NET SEND only went to machines. Most people disable the Messenger Service, because while doing a backup, they prefer not to be reminded of how small a penis they are sporting (Messenger spam).
-drl
New Alternatively...
...I drop all netBIOS traffic (inbound and outbound) at the firewall.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New So if Darrell's gang use W2K or later, they could try my way
     NET SEND to all except a few systems? - (SpiceWare) - (42)
         Send to group -NT - (Silverlock)
         If you send not to machine names, but... - (CRConrad) - (6)
             Re: If you send not to machine names, but... - (deSitter) - (5)
                 "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     NET SEND Help - (orion)
                     Re: "Messenger" != "NET SEND" ? - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Alternatively... - (pwhysall)
                         So if Darrell's gang use W2K or later, they could try my way -NT - (CRConrad)
         update - (SpiceWare)
         Re: NET SEND to all except a few systems? - (qstephens) - (32)
             ROFL - (deSitter) - (31)
                 It inspires me - (orion) - (30)
                     Re: It inspires me - (deSitter) - (22)
                         On this we agree - (orion)
                         Windows has no user context? - (Arkadiy) - (20)
                             process-level user context - (deSitter) - (19)
                                 I am still at a loss as to what you mean -NT - (Arkadiy) - (18)
                                     A login is a profile - (orion)
                                     Re: I am still at a loss as to what you mean - (deSitter) - (16)
                                         You're much mistaken - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                                             Can you be logged in as two people at once? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                 Not log in, no. - (admin) - (3)
                                                     I'll tuck that away in case I ever need it -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                     Yes you can and it is a weak security system - (orion) - (1)
                                                         Re: Yes you can and it is a weak security system - (pwhysall)
                                                 Certainly - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                     Re: Certainly - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                         You keep hearing yourself, not me - (Arkadiy)
                                             Re: You're much mistaken - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                 What does hiererchy of processes have to do with it? - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                                     Re: What does hiererchy of processes have to do with it? - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                         I am not sure what NT_AUTHORITY is - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                             Except: - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                 RIght you are -NT - (Arkadiy)
                                                                 Bottom line - (pwhysall)
                     Careful there . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                         Does it really? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             I don't remember all the details . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 The licenses are more forgiving than you think - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Really interesting issue - (orion)
                         Bah! I'll make it freeware then. - (orion)
                     that's what I did - (SpiceWare)

Bad command or filename.
138 ms