IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It is not a virus
and it is not picked up by NAV or Macafee. My instructor had it on his system and someone stole his password. Virus scans turned up nothing, and he wondered how someone got a copy of his password?

Yes to you it is a virus, but to the virus scanners it is not a virus because it got installed with some other software and if the virus scanner removes it, the company that wrote it will sue. Some Spyware apps capture keystrokes and passwords and credit card numbers. These things should be against the law, but they are not.

I gave him the link to install Spybot. It found 500+ Spyware apps on his hard drive. It did not destroy his IE, Outlook, etc, in fact it made his machine run 1000% faster than it had with the Spyware installed. He said it was like using an old 286.

Now Dell doesn't support the removal of Spyware. What do they suggest that their customers who have Spyware do? Reformat the hard drive? Learn to live with it?

How likely is a Dell customer going to buy a new Dell after being told their problem is not supported by Dell?

I've had situations where trojans disabled IE, Outlook, printing, etc. After running a program like "The Cleaner" and then reinstalling the software that no longer worked, I was able to fix the problem with no loss of data.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Blather.
What spyware applications that aren't viruses "capture passwords"?

I don't give a flying shit what SpyBot did or did not do to someone else's computer. I said that I saw AdAware inflict damage on the registry of a computer.

Whatever you think about Dell, there's a certain class of problems that isn't their responsibility. In that class are such things as particularly trying crossword clues, your marital problems, and spyware that you installed after you bought the computer.

I've got a Dell (Dimension 8300 P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM, 200G disk, Radeon 9800 Pro, 18" LCD monitor). I buy, deploy and support them at work (eating my own dogfood, if you will). There was no spyware on it when I got it, and funnily enough, there isn't any spyware on it now. [I've forgotten more about Dell's factory software build and support infrastructure than you will ever know.]

The default build for the Dimension is fairly minimal - I got the usual slew of ADSL/modem tools, a few bits and pieces for ISPs who've done a deal, and Microsoft Works 7.0. The rest was drivers and stuff to make the DVD/DVD-RW drives go.

The default build on an OptiPlex is even more spartan. Windows, a link to the Dell support thinger, and that's yer lot.

No Spyware.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 6, 2003, 02:17:26 AM EST
New The definition is simple
Spyware is software that the user agrees to install or is part of an EULA of other software.

Check out the definitions:
[link|http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Spyware|http://www.google.co...?q=define:Spyware]

A general term for a program that surreptitiously monitors your actions. While they are sometimes sinister, like a remote control program used by a hacker, software companies have been known to use spyware to gather data about customers. The practice is generally frowned upon.
blackice.iss.net/glossary.php

A technology that assists in gathering information about a person or organization without their knowledge. On the Internet, "spyware is programming that is put in someone's computer to secretly gather information about the user and relay it to advertisers or other interested parties." As such, spyware is cause for public concern about privacy on the Internet.
reach.ucf.edu/~coursdev/cdrom/html/help/glossary.html

This is also known as "adware". It is a hidden software program that transmits user information via the Internet to advertisers in exchange for free downloaded software. The Specialty Alliance Corporation\ufffd does NOT use Spyware in any form or fashion, or will do business with companies that do.
www.calnique.com/glossary.htm

There are concerns that some Web sites and commercial organisations track users' online activity through the use of what is called \ufffdspyware'. Usually coming in the form of \ufffdcookies' - these enable the cookie writer to build-up information about what you do and where you go on the Web. Software is available that checks for and removes spyware.
www.btsafersurfing.com/glossary/p_t.html

Software that tracks usage and reports it to others, such as advertisers Usually the tracking is concealed from the user of the software.
www.cba.nau.edu/facstaff/durham-j/glossary_orphanware.htm

Here is how Yahoo defines it:
[link|http://security.yahoo.com/spyware.html|http://security.yahoo.com/spyware.html]

Simply speaking, spyware consists of hidden programs running on your computer. You may have unknowingly installed them when you downloaded programs from the Internet or installed software from disks. These programs are easy to install but often difficult to remove without downloading specialized anti-spyware programs.

Spyware programs can change your system settings, serve pop-ups, record your surfing habits, or display advertisements over web sites you visit. Other spyware programs will run separate programs on your computer for a variety of purposes, sometimes slowing your computer down in the process. Some malicious spyware will log everything you type on the keyboard and even send this information back to those who placed the spyware on your computer in the first place. This could be embarrassing at minimum, and even result in your becoming a victim of identity theft.

Yes many Spyware apps do capture keystrokes including user ids and passwords. As a security conscience network admin, you do not want the users on your network to have spyware on their systems. Imagine the authors of spyware having every letter or document your users have typed available on their systems. Imagine not just the identity theft, but the theft of ideas and business secrets, customer lists, credit card information, and other things that spyware can steal from your users' systems.

That is why I think that spyware should be against the law.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Dell To Customers: "We're not uninstalling your spyware". - (pwhysall) - (33)
         Re: Dell: "We're not uninstalling your spyware". - (andread) - (10)
             So.... - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 Re: So.... - (andread) - (7)
                     No, they're not. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                         Sorry to dissapoint you - (orion) - (5)
                             What crap? - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 Re: What crap? - (andread) - (2)
                                     Re: What crap? - (Nightowl)
                                     Ignore - (pwhysall)
                                 I didn't install a thing - (orion)
             Just one more reason.... - (Nightowl)
         Customers to Dell, we are not buying our next computer - (orion) - (4)
             Balls. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 It is not a virus - (orion) - (2)
                     Blather. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         The definition is simple - (orion)
         Not so fast.. - (Ashton) - (1)
             Re: Not so fast.. - (pwhysall)
         Running AdAware can cause TCP/IP to stop working - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
             Re: Running AdAware can cause TCP/IP to stop working - (andread) - (11)
                 That's nice. - (pwhysall) - (10)
                     Gateway's solution. - (bepatient)
                     So's this - (andread) - (8)
                         So? - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             Conflict of interest - (orion) - (6)
                                 You're missing the point - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     It still does not help the user - (orion) - (4)
                                         You may wish to think that through more carefully. - (hnick) - (1)
                                             I have had good luck so far - (orion)
                                         I'm sure that's fine with Dell. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             I am in full agreement with you - (orion)
             Care to share the scripts? - (FuManChu)
         I see the potential for confusion. - (static)

> We didn't need to have you spouting Yoda quotes to know that you're sad... but thanks for the extra effort...
127 ms