IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have 12 linear feet
of shelf space taken up by legally purchased (licensed?) content in vinyl analog format. I no longer am able to take advantage of the fair use of this content as I don't have a suitable playback device. This content is in a warehouse.

I have probably twice the above shelfspace in legally purchased (licensed?) content in CD digital format. I am finding this format cumbersome as I am now living in a space constrained location (sailboat) and would like to recover some storage space.

I would like to trade all formats for compact digital formats to save on physical storage space. I'm thinking high-capacity firewire disk drive array or similar.

Oh, you won't sell me that? So what should I do? Given that there was no license agreement on most of my older CDs, tapes, or vinyl, I can only assume that I have the legal rights to make fair use copies in any formats I like.

I won't buy anything in the future that has restrictive licensing or copy protection. Will the money you recover from the pirates make up for the drop in patronage by people who refuse to purchase content they can't control?

I really doubt it.
New Look Here
[link|http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F018%5F000&product%5Fid=42%2D7000|A decent turntable]

RS also still carries a complete line of phono cartridges. Note - you may need a small pre-amp to hook up a turntable to the "AUX" jack of modern stereo equipment, which often lacks a phono input.
New I know of at least one group that makes turntables by hand
In the Chicago area. My uncle (who has much more than 12 linear feet of vinyl) has one. It rests on oil-cushioned legs (IIRC) and has a plexiglass cover.

They also make tube-based amplifiers.

This is stuff for the serious vinyl audiophile, make no mistake.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Not too hard to find
DJs that do dance stuff (House, Hip Hop, Trance, etc..) still use turntables a lot because they are easier to beat-match with then CDs, where the technology isn't quite there yet to do it right

Most musicians also favor tube (valve) powered amplifiers as well
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Recently bought a $200 direct drive Gemini
from [link|http://www.marsmusic.com|Mars Music] - a Gemini XL500II. It seems pretty good, but is manual (have to remove the tonearm at the end of a record).

I think Todd's main issue is space on his boat, not lack of a turntable though...

Cheers,
Scott.
New That and the records skip in rough seas
Really, my point is I own this content - but its in the wrong format. Seems like the record companies ought to let me get the content in a different format - just trade it in - oh yeah, except that every new format provides a big cash push from people repurchasing favorites.
     Register: RIAA's secret meeting, more content restrictions - (kmself) - (15)
         Re: Register: RIAA's secret meeting... - (andread)
         Why am I reminded - (Ric Locke)
         The real story: What Gerstner said. - (kmself)
         Cryptome: Secret RIAA meeting. Notes - (kmself) - (3)
             "You just keep thinkin' Butch...that's what you're good at" - (jb4)
             Heed the calls of the yellow-bellied monopolist: - (jb4)
             Sirs and ma'ams of RIAA - (wharris2)
         I have 12 linear feet - (tuberculosis) - (5)
             Look Here - (deSitter) - (4)
                 I know of at least one group that makes turntables by hand - (admin) - (1)
                     Not too hard to find - (Fearless Freep)
                 Recently bought a $200 direct drive Gemini - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     That and the records skip in rough seas - (tuberculosis)
         Register says, "Good story, too bad it's fake" - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Suspect, not disproven - (kmself)

You sly ol' iconoclast, you...
80 ms