IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not alone.
The business term I despise most is "Human Resources". We're people, damn it. We are not "to be consumed". I've hated that phrase since the first time I heard it (now probably 20 years ago). I'll bet few ever even consider the implications of switching from "Personnel" (root: person) to "Human Resources" (humans targetted for consumption ala Solent Green).

Returning to work as an employee for the first time in few years, I can honestly say that every negative about being an employee has only become worse. I am convinced that Corporate Murica no longer desires a workforce, they want instead a "cult" and they don't mind forcing their employees to feign membership in their cult if necessary. (Note: failing to at least pretend to be a member of the cult can lose you your job). I think this is univerally true among Murican Corps these days.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Human Resources and the Cult Mentality
I agree with you there, we are now a Resource instead of a person. No name, just an Employee Number with a large record of what we do at work plus rumors from what the other Employees say about us added to the record. At least it was that way at the law firm I used to work at, HR and Management believed any rumor that was spoken about us and added it to our HR record. Then it showed up on annual reviews. Sort of like having one of those Supermarket Tabloids writing a series of stories on you. "Orion marries Bigfoot", "Orion seen with Elvis at Burger King", "Orion is really a UFO Space Alien".

But anyway, there is a cult mentality and a lot of smoozing with management. The IT Manager had a party at his big house (read Mansion) which was decked up like Bill Gates' mansion with security cameras, talking computers, and all sorts of high tech gadgets. I had scheduled six months in advance to take two weeks off for a trip to Thailand to meet my in-laws over there. The Boss was upset that I missed his party, wanted me to reschedule. I couldn't because my wife had to take vacation too, plus the plane tickets are hard to get and expensive. We had to fly three flights, two of them Chinese Airline flights, to get to Bangkok and back. He was always asking me if I put Java in my programs because at one time I suggested using it for clients who want to access our Intranet but only have Netscape or some other browser and not IE. That flagged me as a Non-Cult member, because members of the Cult are Pro-Microsoft and Anti-Alternatives to Microsoft. So we did everything in ASP, VBScript for the Intranet and some Javascript when VBScript didn't work. I suggested Linux and SAMBA for servers after NT 4.0 Server crashed a lot and needed to be rebooted a dozen times or more a day. It didn't matter that clients won't notice the difference, but because it was not made by Microsoft, my idea was rejected and I was flagged once again in my HR file. I also suggested that we use OOP in VB and create DLL files that can handle common routines that are used over and over again in our VB and ASP programs with reusable objects. The Boss was Anti-OOP and it was rejected again and flagged in my HR file again. Keep in mind that these ideas would have helped things and made our jobs easier, but because of the cult mindset, they were rejected. Finally after four and a half years, they made up what they could about me, took all the HR flags in my file, said I didn't live up to my potential, and let me go. At Five years I would have had an extra vacation week, started earning a pension, and would have gotten more profit sharing. If I would have joined The Cult, I might still have a job there.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New It's hard for me to tell
how much "supposition" there is, in this list of "actionable offenses against the Corp Culture".

I'd like to believe verbatim, this report. Please confirm that you mean literally = that you had some means of verifying that:

There were actual written notes added to your personnel file, merely reporting that you had suggested:

A) That a Linux server might save lost time.
B) That "OOP" might enable creation of an (actually useful) .dll
C) That.. were you to use "Java" - that fact alone would be prima facie evidence of your wish to make their website accessible to "other than Microsoft browsers". (And that would be deemed unacceptably Bad.)

Were these (alone) grounds for scolding, or are you omitting perhaps some other exchanges over time, which suggested that you might actually Want! to.. use non-M$ products ie would enjoy doing this! (?)

See.. it's hard to credit so monstrously simplistic an operation here. But I'll believe it if you write in blood that "there were no Other provocations" needed for a negative entry in your official 'record'.

(Gawd - sure this place wasn't in Salem MA? or is that now a suburb of StL?)
     How Offshore Outsourcing Failed Us - (lincoln) - (39)
         As I've so often said.. - (deSitter) - (1)
             Thoughts.... - (gdaustin)
         I wonder if all who could code/manage to US standards - (Arkadiy) - (22)
             Not even close - (deSitter) - (21)
                 It was more than the Java that was bad. - (admin) - (3)
                     Seen it before - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         How long before PHBs get burned? -NT - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             Re: How long before PHBs get burned? - (deSitter)
                 Question: - (jb4) - (16)
                     Well, there's also . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                         'zacly - (deSitter)
                         How widespread? - (Ashton) - (13)
                             Go look in the trash - (scoenye) - (4)
                                 ***farkinboggle*** -NT - (deSitter)
                                 Seconded - (drewk) - (2)
                                     Send that one in to Shark Tank. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                         Good call, will do -NT - (drewk)
                             Very - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                 So, given your experience, can it be fixed? - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                     The success of the "My Documents" folder . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         Abstractions - and *Bob*/Linux - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             Not just a rumor... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                 Re: Not just a rumor... - (deSitter)
                                 Related article on security . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 This isn't a computer-only issue - (drewk)
         My favorite part... - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             Mine: - (imric)
             re "Team" - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Re: re "Team" - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Re: re "Team" - (andread)
                 Not alone. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Human Resources and the Cult Mentality - (orion) - (1)
                         It's hard for me to tell - (Ashton)
         Been there - done that - tried to pick up the pieces - (dlevitt) - (5)
             Don't know about India, but - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                 The Russian Way? - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Inside out works better for small outsides - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                         You just perfectly described someone I knew - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             We Russians programmed in 60s up until 90s :) -NT - (Arkadiy)

To Imagine, To Ponder.. perhaps occasionally, To Think.
63 ms