IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My opinion on certs
...is that database certifications are worth more than platform or programming language certifications. A couple of off hand reasons.

Numbers: Practically every business has (or needs) a database. Fewer need (or even want) software programmers.

Prerequisites: Even if you are seeking a programming job, a lot of them require knowledge of the database servers. It's easier to fake programming for one knowledgeable in databases than it is for a grunt to have an appreciation of the complexity of business data. A lot of those available programming jobs involve interfaces to Oracle, SQLServer, or DB2. Even if you get Java certs, you're still not gonna make the cut if you don't know Oracle (or whatever db their using).

In & Out: Custom software is usually involved - requiring years for some of the stuff I do. Although proficiency in a particular software package has it's perks - coming about as close to job security as you can get - it has it's drawbacks as well - few companies willing to spring for long-term projects in tough times. Databases have a much wider range of job availability - everywhere from one day projects for clean up, to design, all the way to years of babysitting multiple servers or data analysis. For example, few software programmers can work for multiple companies on multiple contracts at the same. Many companies like their DBAs to be that way.

++++

That said, the economy in general sucks. So changing from any job to any other job is not easy.
New Same reasoning for Cisco certs
Everyone has a network. Although I think Oracle certs have a wider range of applicability: dba, stored proc programmer, db design, etc.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Ok...play along... - (bepatient) - (19)
         No... NOT in *THIS* economy currently. - (folkert)
         Depends on the job and employer - (orion)
         Careful - I'm thinking of getting out - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Nope... that is going the same way... - (folkert)
         Not programming! - (a6l6e6x)
         Oooh. Bad timing. - (imric)
         well define Enter the field - (boxley) - (8)
             Its all gamesmanship at the moment.. - (bepatient) - (7)
                 Re: Its all gamesmanship at the moment.. - (deSitter)
                 I would suggest looking at a CISCO CERT - (boxley)
                 Join PMI - get a cert - (tuberculosis)
                 PMI? - (gdaustin) - (3)
                     shizzit do you work here? - (boxley)
                     PMI and Program Management - (Simon_Jester)
                     Agree w/ Todd and Glen - (jb4)
         My opinion on certs - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Same reasoning for Cisco certs - (admin)
         OK, playing... - (broomberg)
         Re: Ok...play along... - (qstephens)

No, really.
56 ms