IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DB2 Cert Monster
I received a DB2 cert study guide a few weeks ago, but frankly I am a bit overwhelmed. There are tons of nitty gritty configuration and product options and variations. Most shops probably just use the defaults, but the *potential* options are mind-boggling, making for a grueling exam. I have a hard time memorizing such detail unless I can relate it to some concept or experience. For a hypothetical example, I cannot remember that the Zog Buffer Cache Config File is in location 47 unless I know why someone would want to change the Zog settings and why it is in location 47 instead of say location 46. The book is not much into conceptual explanations, but more of just a detail dump. If it was into explanations, it would probably be a foot thick.

The config/setup stuff is maybe 30 or 40 percent of the exam, so maybe if I ace the non-config stuff I could get by, but either way it is going to be a bear. Either I force the arbitrary config stuff to stay in my head long enough to pass, or I totally ace the rest.

I am thinking about going back to the MySQL route instead. Maybe it has less potential career benefits, but also less risk. DB2 is in for a penny, in for a pound. I might just get a non-IBM job before I ever get a chance to even take the exam.

I don't have a photographic memory. I am a conceptual thinker. I index things in my head by concepts or uses, not exact string matches.

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New ROFL
-drl
New ha ha, very funny. Laff it up, furball
-drl
New Like I said, IN PRACTICE most sites just use the defaults
IOW, the exam does not really reflect common reality. Just because there are 300 setup/performance parameters that CAN be tweaked does not mean that every site tweaks them often.

If performance is really that important that somebody has to tweak that huge contraption all the time, then maybe IBM should split DBA's into "Database Performance Managers", and "Database Content Managers". The skills to design a good schema are quite different than those for tweaking buffer sizes or file arrangements for performance. (In theory, schemas should not reflect performance, but in practice they do somewhat. Chris Date suggests that this is due to retarded vendors and not relational theory. Regardless, it is a controversial topic.)

One fits more of the bit-twiddler mentality, and the other more of a business analyst. In my experience, such skills tend to be somewhat mutually exclusive.
Expand Edited by tablizer June 28, 2003, 12:34:15 AM EDT
Expand Edited by tablizer June 28, 2003, 12:38:07 AM EDT
New Beg to differ...
Bryce the Table King said:
IOW, the exam does not really reflect common reality. Just because there are 300 setup/performance parameters that CAN be tweaked does not mean that every site tweaks them often.
First of... when a company chooses to use one of the "big three" (MSSQL, Oracle or DB2)(TB3 from here on out) they have already found that they _-*>NEED<*-_ these extended features.

Most application using TB3, need the special tables constraints and indexing and properties of relations, using stored procedures is heavily affected by NON-use of these things. Many, Many DBAs have great skill in applying these little pieces of magic doing optimizations.

They can sometimes take a query that as designed takes HOURS to complete and pegs the DB machine heavily during that time-frame, to a make it a 2 minute query and still going through the same amount of data, just by aplying those table constraints and properties.

What it comes down to Bryce on *THAT* single statement alone you made, that you really have not seen ANY ERP, MRP or CRM solution that is designed for multi-user applications. Sure ACT! is great but it ain't SHIITE compared to Learning Solutions (which is an extremely integrated CRM aimed at Educational Institutions) from Peoplesoft. Sure QuickBooks is COOL and rocks... But a typical HRM/AP/AR solution aimed at any Fortune 2000 sized company Blows it away for sheer completeness and usability.

These kinds of applications *NEED* and *WANT* those tweaks... if you can't use and/or understand them and how or when to apply them... then you won't be a successful DBA.

Bryce yon sayeth again:
If performance is really that important that somebody has to tweak that huge contraption all the time, then maybe IBM should split DBA's into "Database Performance Managers", and "Database Content Managers". The skills to design a good schema are quite different than those for tweaking buffer sizes or file arrangements for performance. (In theory, schemas should not reflect performance, but in practice they do somewhat. Chris Date suggests that this is due to retarded vendors and not relational theory. Regardless, it is a controversial topic.)

One fits more of the bit-twiddler mentality, and the other more of a business analyst. In my experience, such skills tend to be somewhat mutually exclusive.
Yes, performance is really *THAT* important. DBA stands for DataBase Administrator. Given that acronym, let us actually goto and find out exactly what DBA means.
As found [link|http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/gDefinition/0,294236,sid7_gci214169,00.html|HERE], Database Administrator means:
A database administrator (DBA) directs or performs all activities related to maintaining a successful database environment. Responsibilities include designing, implementing, and maintaining the database system; establishing policies and procedures pertaining to the management, security, maintenance, and use of the database management system; and training employees in database management and use. A DBA is expected to stay abreast of emerging technologies and new design approaches. Typically, a DBA has either a degree in Computer Science and some on-the-job training with a particular database product or more extensive experience with a range of database products. A DBA is usually expected to have experience with one or more of the major database management products, such as Structured Query Language, SAP, and Oracle-based database management software.
Okay, anywhere in there does the definition include BUSINESS ANALYST? No it does not. a DBA is a mechanic of the high-perfomace data-engine. a BUSINESS ANALYST is an individual that is in essence a person that *devises* how the DB is to be used to help the company fit the ERP/CRM/HRM/MRP/BLAH to the company. NO where that *I* know of does a DBA, that is a DBA, do "content management." That would fall into the realm of a Software Analyst's job, and you seem to be co-mingling the two/three.

Bryce, you seem to not have ever been in a situation where TB3 is used this way. Until you actually *SEE* that environment you'll never know why those tweaks are needed.

[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
The time has come for you to take the last step.
You must love THEM.
It is not enough to obey THEM.
You must love THEM.

PEACE BEGETS WAR, SLAVERY IS FREEDOM, STRENGTH IN IGNORANCE.
New I don't think we are communicating
you seem to not have ever been in a situation where TB3 is used this way. Until you actually *SEE* that environment you'll never know why those tweaks are needed.

Nowhere did I say that the tweaks were not necessary.

Think of it this way. A large organization is probably going to have more than one DBA, probably many. Wouldn't it make sense to split them into specialties such that one group focuses more on logical design and the other on physical issues (performance)?

then you won't be a successful DBA.

Maybe not. It was Ziwethey'ers who suggested I persue that line of work because it was less damaged by OO zealotry. A lot of people seem to get off on performance tweeking, but I would rather focus on maintainability and simplicity of software design from developers' perspectives, not making chips happy.

Maybe I should get a cert in PL/SQL instead? Or, is Java killing that too? Why is everyone copying the spahgetti Sun model? When will the Sun fad die?
I basically was saying, if you want to learn DB2, then you need to get books written that way. One written with a lessopn to teach. Not a book based on reviewing data that you know but was lost in the spider-web covered areas of your mind.

You said:
Nowhere did I say that the tweaks were not necessary.
No you never said that, true. But you *DID* say:
Most shops probably just use the defaults,
in [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=107459|DB2 Cert Monster]. And NO, most places that don't need those features DON'T use TB3. As default install is VERY VERY sucky for nearly anything except the Oracle Demo.

And I never said you should never NOT get a cert in DB2, I said that you need to know when and where to apply these tweaks to BE a successful DBA. Just not exactly those terms.

SO, overall the point is, you need to learn HOW to be a DB2 DBA before you study refresher material for a certification. Which mean additional purchases of books and plowing through them.

Personally I read Technical books 4-6 times. Getting progressively INTO the book. First read the book quickly to get a good feel for the overall works of the book, then second read it again, picking up info related to the concepts garnered in the first pass. Third read, start to ponder the details as you read, this being the third time you read it, should be very familiar. 4th+ read, clearing of the fog reads... helps me understand the WHOLE book not jst the pieces I need NOW...

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
You must love THEM.
You must love THEM.

New Compare...
Jacobs of the Bryce has spoken:
I received a DB2 cert study guide a few weeks ago, but frankly I am a bit overwhelmed ... The book is not much into conceptual explanations, but more of just a detail dump
Yep, the book is a Certification *STUDY* guide. A Study Guide is a book that is there to help you remember those pieces you have already learned.

Jacoby-N-Meyer also sprayed:
If it was into explanations, it would probably be a foot thick.
Yerp, that why the books *I* have on >JUST< Oracle == 4800 Pages from O'Reilly alone(couple I have multiple editions ie. 2nd and 3rd). Not to mention Booklets, handouts and stuff could be another 1200 pages. And I am NOT even a DBA.

For am Example of the Theory and Concepts of REAL Oracle work, go [link|http://oracle.oreilly.com/|HERE]. And PLEASE stop bitching about something you really know NOTHING of. I don't have 25% the talent and knowledge needed to make Oracle Databases zing, I do a good job of prepping a machine *FOR* a Heavy Duty Oracle DB... And *I* don't bitch about not being able to Remmeber things (mainly because *I* can :)

Also, BJ spouted this gem of a saying:
I don't have a photographic memory. I am a conceptual thinker. I index things in my head by concepts or uses, not exact string matches.
Neither do *I* have a photographic memory, but what *I* do have is a way of myself fresh enough to have the info near-online. Also, I don;t index things... I use a tree method for keeping things in my head, much better on resources, of which *I* have plenty and not requiring a full-data-dump and data-re-load to index and compress properly. I learn most things anyway, rather than memorize.

<wink-wink>

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
You must love THEM.
You must love THEM.

New You have to know enough about databases
to point out to the DBA where they are in error or you will spend your life fixing things that arnt broke.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

As the Poets have mournfully sung.
Death takes the innocent young,
The rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
And those who are very well hung.
W.H. Auden
New re: Compare...
Neither do *I* have a photographic memory, but what *I* do have is a way of myself fresh enough to have the info near-online. Also, I don;t index things... I use a tree method for keeping things in my head, much better on resources, of which *I* have plenty and not requiring a full-data-dump and data-re-load to index and compress properly. I learn most things anyway, rather than memorize.

I am not quite sure what you are saying here. May I ask you to clarify? Thanks.

Note that I am talking about taking the exam. How I lookup or manage info at a regular production desk is more or less a different matter.

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
You must love THEM.
You must love THEM.

New So, anybody want to buy a slightly used DB2 cert study book?

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
You must love THEM.
You must love THEM.

New $22 + shipping. Got paypal?
ISBN: 0072133759

Hmmm. There is also a Dummy's book for DB2 certs. One person says, "I studied this book for about 20 hours and passed the 512 exam." Maybe 512 does not cover installation and performance tuning or something, being in 513? Odd. 20 hours? No way. Too much naggly shit behind DB2.
oop.ismad.com
New $16 + Shipping
Figure out what shipping will be (Regular Mail Postage (1st class if possible)). If you send it regular mail in a Paper Binder(like the Grocery Bag stuff) and lemme know the total, I'll send you a personal check that won't bounce.

Send it, and I'll send the check within hours of your posting. And if you don't think I am trustworthy enough... well ask others around here. Ashton and Scott in particular.

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
You must love THEM.
You must love THEM.

New I probably would not know shipping $ ahead of time.Plan B...
I would take it to the post office boxed up, wait in line, and they would determine the postage then and there. Perhaps I could put a max on what I would charge you. For example, If the max was $5, then if the shipping is less than the max, say 3.50, I charge you that amount (3.50). But, if it is over, then I eat the difference and you pay only 5 for shipping.

IOW: Sequence of events:

1 You double wrap book in Heavy Shipping Paper (Paper bag paper with shipping tape)
2 E-Mail me with intent to ship.
3 Thwack me here telling me to check my e-mail.
4 I reply to your e-mail with proper info needed
5 I post reply here telling you it's on it's way
6 You Check you e-mail
7 You address the wrapped book.
8 Take Package to Post Office
9 Pay for Shipping (making note the exact amount)
10 Actually let the Post Office ship it
11 Send E-mail to me at the address below with $16 plus the cost of shipping. And all needed info for me to send you the check.
12 Poke me with a sharp stick here or on Jabber, telling me to check my e-mail.
13 I send you a check for the full amount briefly (hours but no more than 24 unless a weekend)
14 Check arrives in your post box.
15 Take check to bank and cash it.
16 Hopefully sometime shortly after this I get the book in the mail.

If this is acceptable... please commence.

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
You must love THEM.
You must love THEM.

New People still use cheques? (new thread)
Created as new thread #111222 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=111222|People still use cheques?]
John knows the correct way to spell 'cheque'.
     DB2 Cert Monster - (tablizer) - (20)
         Real Tables, meet Tablizer. Tablizer, meet Real Tables. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (7)
             ROFL -NT - (deSitter) - (6)
                 ha ha, very funny. Laff it up, furball -NT - (tablizer) - (5)
                     Re: ha ha, very funny. Laff it up, furball - (deSitter) - (4)
                         Like I said, IN PRACTICE most sites just use the defaults - (tablizer) - (3)
                             Beg to differ... - (folkert) - (2)
                                 I don't think we are communicating - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     point == missed - (folkert)
         Compare... - (folkert) - (3)
             You have to know enough about databases - (boxley)
             re: Compare... - (tablizer) - (1)
                 It was meant the way you read it. :) -NT - (folkert)
         So, anybody want to buy a slightly used DB2 cert study book? -NT - (tablizer) - (7)
             How much? -NT - (folkert) - (6)
                 $22 + shipping. Got paypal? - (tablizer) - (5)
                     do I hear $18? -NT - (tablizer) - (4)
                         $16 + Shipping - (folkert) - (3)
                             I probably would not know shipping $ ahead of time.Plan B... - (tablizer) - (2)
                                 NO NO NO NO NO NO. I won't short you, Bryce. - (folkert) - (1)
                                     People still use cheques? (new thread) - (Meerkat)

In conclusion, lithium in the water supply.
188 ms