IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't think we are communicating
you seem to not have ever been in a situation where TB3 is used this way. Until you actually *SEE* that environment you'll never know why those tweaks are needed.

Nowhere did I say that the tweaks were not necessary.

Think of it this way. A large organization is probably going to have more than one DBA, probably many. Wouldn't it make sense to split them into specialties such that one group focuses more on logical design and the other on physical issues (performance)?

then you won't be a successful DBA.

Maybe not. It was Ziwethey'ers who suggested I persue that line of work because it was less damaged by OO zealotry. A lot of people seem to get off on performance tweeking, but I would rather focus on maintainability and simplicity of software design from developers' perspectives, not making chips happy.

Maybe I should get a cert in PL/SQL instead? Or, is Java killing that too? Why is everyone copying the spahgetti Sun model? When will the Sun fad die?
I basically was saying, if you want to learn DB2, then you need to get books written that way. One written with a lessopn to teach. Not a book based on reviewing data that you know but was lost in the spider-web covered areas of your mind.

You said:
Nowhere did I say that the tweaks were not necessary.
No you never said that, true. But you *DID* say:
Most shops probably just use the defaults,
in [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=107459|DB2 Cert Monster]. And NO, most places that don't need those features DON'T use TB3. As default install is VERY VERY sucky for nearly anything except the Oracle Demo.

And I never said you should never NOT get a cert in DB2, I said that you need to know when and where to apply these tweaks to BE a successful DBA. Just not exactly those terms.

SO, overall the point is, you need to learn HOW to be a DB2 DBA before you study refresher material for a certification. Which mean additional purchases of books and plowing through them.

Personally I read Technical books 4-6 times. Getting progressively INTO the book. First read the book quickly to get a good feel for the overall works of the book, then second read it again, picking up info related to the concepts garnered in the first pass. Third read, start to ponder the details as you read, this being the third time you read it, should be very familiar. 4th+ read, clearing of the fog reads... helps me understand the WHOLE book not jst the pieces I need NOW...

[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
The time has come for you to take the last step.
You must love THEM.
It is not enough to obey THEM.
You must love THEM.

PEACE BEGETS WAR, SLAVERY IS FREEDOM, STRENGTH IN IGNORANCE.
     DB2 Cert Monster - (tablizer) - (20)
         Real Tables, meet Tablizer. Tablizer, meet Real Tables. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (7)
             ROFL -NT - (deSitter) - (6)
                 ha ha, very funny. Laff it up, furball -NT - (tablizer) - (5)
                     Re: ha ha, very funny. Laff it up, furball - (deSitter) - (4)
                         Like I said, IN PRACTICE most sites just use the defaults - (tablizer) - (3)
                             Beg to differ... - (folkert) - (2)
                                 I don't think we are communicating - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     point == missed - (folkert)
         Compare... - (folkert) - (3)
             You have to know enough about databases - (boxley)
             re: Compare... - (tablizer) - (1)
                 It was meant the way you read it. :) -NT - (folkert)
         So, anybody want to buy a slightly used DB2 cert study book? -NT - (tablizer) - (7)
             How much? -NT - (folkert) - (6)
                 $22 + shipping. Got paypal? - (tablizer) - (5)
                     do I hear $18? -NT - (tablizer) - (4)
                         $16 + Shipping - (folkert) - (3)
                             I probably would not know shipping $ ahead of time.Plan B... - (tablizer) - (2)
                                 NO NO NO NO NO NO. I won't short you, Bryce. - (folkert) - (1)
                                     People still use cheques? (new thread) - (Meerkat)

Time for a tasty, tangy treat!
50 ms