IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What's this got to do with the price of oil in Baghdad?
I'm an engineer too. And I also sometimes act as an academic (teach CS at undergrad level). The university system has been remade into a set of fancy vocational schools though so lets not try to tell anything by what goes on there. I mean, christ, I just had to explain to Professor Cay Horstman that his most recent [link|http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=4744|article] was [link|http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&thread=4744&start=15&msRange=15|horsepucky].

As to the rest of your post - you're talking about eschewing a state pattern design and preferring switch statements. Fine. This is a 100% language independent decision. What's it got to do with Smalltalk vs Java? Smalltalk has a switch statement (most do - you can write one in a minute of yours doesn't).

As for most of the patterns, I've found that a lot of them simply vanish in Smalltalk. It seems that many of them are workarounds for poor language design decisions in Java and C++.

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
-- Robert Firth
New Oops! You're right.
I must have purged switch in Smalltalk from my memory when teaching myself to write in a less procedural fashion. Smalltalk is looking more attractive as a commercial language. Still want strong typechecking, though.
Matthew Greet

But we must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig, cow after cow, village after village, army after army. And they call me an assassin. What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? They lie. They lie and we must be merciful to those who lie.
- Colonol Kurtz, Apocalypse Now.
New You've missed something I think
Still want strong typechecking, though.

We've already [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=101330|discussed] this and I think concluded that the benefits of strong type checking are grossly overrated. It seems some of its proponents like Robert C Martin are also coming to this conclusion.

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
-- Robert Firth
New Re: Oops! You're right.
Still want strong typechecking, though.
I agree, although I'm perfectly happy with dynamic strong types. It doesn't have to be static.
--
-- Jim Weirich jweirich@one.net [link|http://onestepback.org|http://onestepback.org]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
not tried it." -- Donald Knuth (in a memo to Peter van Emde Boas)
     Advanced programming languages - why are they not used? - (Arkadiy) - (104)
         question from a non programmer - (boxley) - (11)
             Second through fourth sentences are a blur - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                 sorry, I went from your specific - (boxley) - (9)
                     Well... - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                         I am not smart enough to detect the difference - (boxley) - (7)
                             In C++, "if" is simple - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                 I think I disagree, maybe - (drewk) - (5)
                                     Re: I think I disagree, maybe - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                         I was right - (drewk)
                                         Re: I think I disagree, maybe - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                             Perl 6 will take that idea farther - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 +5 Informative. - (static)
         I regard Smalltalk as a teaching language - (warmachine) - (5)
             Dixit. -NT - (Arkadiy)
             I regard it as the most powerful production tool I have - (tuberculosis)
             couple of comments - (ChrisR) - (2)
                 Re: couple of comments - (warmachine) - (1)
                     Documentation tool? - (ChrisR)
         Your brain is damaged - (tuberculosis) - (13)
             I am not saying - (Arkadiy) - (11)
                 Average guy? Come here and say that! :) - (warmachine) - (6)
                     Either you are, or... - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                         Yep! But give it more time. - (warmachine)
                     What's this got to do with the price of oil in Baghdad? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Oops! You're right. - (warmachine) - (2)
                             You've missed something I think - (tuberculosis)
                             Re: Oops! You're right. - (JimWeirich)
                 OK that's true - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                     Smalltalk for Small Tykes - (JimWeirich)
                     Wrong sense of "narrative". - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                         (Oops) - (Arkadiy)
             modeling English - (tablizer)
         Re: Advanced programming languages - why are they not used? - (deSitter) - (1)
             I was going to mention Forth, - (Arkadiy)
         Bad Marketing - (tablizer) - (69)
             Re-implement these examples, please - (ben_tilly) - (56)
                 Problem description missing - (tablizer) - (55)
                     Problem description - (ben_tilly) - (54)
                         Arrays of arrays? There's your problem.Use relational tables -NT - (tablizer) - (53)
                             Why am I not surprised that you avoided the question? - (ben_tilly) - (52)
                                 hold on, cowboy - (tablizer) - (51)
                                     No, you never do say that you are done - (ben_tilly) - (50)
                                         Okay, I admit it was too sweeping - (tablizer) - (49)
                                             Re: Okay, I admit it was too sweeping - (deSitter)
                                             Thank you - (ben_tilly) - (47)
                                                 that is what I am looking for - (tablizer) - (46)
                                                     Re: that is what I am looking for - (admin) - (6)
                                                         What's that? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             Re: What's that? - (admin)
                                                         Actually Java Anonymous Inner Classes - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                             If I remember correctly, - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 Not entirely accurate. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                     Thanks - (Arkadiy)
                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                                                     How much are you willing to pay? - (ben_tilly) - (37)
                                                         If you don't have the evidence, then just say so -NT - (tablizer) - (36)
                                                             You win, again - (ben_tilly) - (35)
                                                                 Can't ANYBODY ever find a #@!* BIZ example? -NT - (tablizer) - (34)
                                                                     Ben's given me an idea. - (static) - (4)
                                                                         different "core"? - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                             That's one way to think of it. - (static) - (2)
                                                                                 But if tree traversal was trivial, then it does not matter - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                     It's a matter of perspective. - (static)
                                                                     A TOP example - (johnu) - (19)
                                                                         re: transaction rollback - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                             Why not just use a closure? - (johnu) - (16)
                                                                                 Eval () is a kind of closure - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                                                                                     Python supports it... - (admin)
                                                                                     topic is not about me, Mr. Insult - (tablizer)
                                                                                     Re: Eval () is NOT a kind of closure - (JimWeirich) - (12)
                                                                                         You are right. - (Arkadiy) - (11)
                                                                                             All? - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                                                 I was thinking about - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                                                                                                     Thought you had missed those :-) - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                                                                                         Re: Thought you had missed those :-) - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                                                                                                             That mostly works - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                                                                 Re: That mostly works - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                                                                                     Think we are even then - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                                         A function to produce list from range - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                                             So? - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                 Fake Closures - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Wow - (Arkadiy)
                                                                         Re: A TOP example - (JimWeirich)
                                                                     Multivariate Regression Analysis - (ChrisR) - (8)
                                                                         Why not Eval()? - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                             The problem is that the equations are part of the data - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                 I am not following you - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                                                     Do you not understand Regression? - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                         Eval can be used to compute arbitrary function - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                                             Eval is "good enuf" for occassional use. - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                 You are not familiar with Ruby then - (ben_tilly)
                                                                             Of course Eval()? - (JimWeirich)
             Re: Bad Marketing - (JimWeirich) - (11)
                 re: closures - (tablizer) - (10)
                     re: closures - (JimWeirich) - (9)
                         bottom bread - (tablizer) - (8)
                             Still waiting for examples - (JimWeirich) - (7)
                                 misunderstanding? - (tablizer) - (6)
                                     misunderstanding? ... Now I'm Confused - (JimWeirich) - (5)
                                         long blocks - (tablizer) - (4)
                                             Back to the Example ... - (JimWeirich) - (3)
                                                 auto-close - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                     Exceptions - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                                         Warning: Discussing exceptions with me is a loooong topic -NT - (tablizer)

It's mercifully free of Britney Timberlake, Backstreet II Men, and Whitney Dion.
239 ms