IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK that's true
it was some guy on the Artemis weblogs that asserted that Java syntax is more "natural" than Smalltalk.

But the narrative thing I think I still disagree with. Smalltalk can be read out loud and understood. You can't say the same thing about java.

dictionary at: x put: y.

is a narrative.

map.put(x,y) is much more cryptic about what is going on.

The really funny thing about Smalltalk is that it was designed to be used by children. For the most part, they get it. Its a little above some children - but not so far. Check out some of the kid projects at [link|http://www.squeakland.org|http://www.squeakland.org] to see kids programming robots using Smalltalk.

So my point is going to remain that its the biases instilled in the programmer by the more "conventional" languages that make Smalltalk "hard". You don't need to use all the depth. You can go as deep as you like and still get things done.

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
-- Robert Firth
New Smalltalk for Small Tykes
The really funny thing about Smalltalk is that it was designed to be used by children.

I was teaching my 10 year old daughter Smalltalk at one point. I would have never considered using C or C++ instead.
--
-- Jim Weirich jweirich@one.net [link|http://onestepback.org|http://onestepback.org]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
not tried it." -- Donald Knuth (in a memo to Peter van Emde Boas)
New Wrong sense of "narrative".
May be I am misusing the word.

In your example, Smalltalk and C++ are actually rather equivalent. In my examples, they are vastly different. Simple syntax in C causes simple conceptual things to happen. Everybody knows what "if-then-else" means. In Samlltalk, simple syntax causes conceptually complex[*] things to happen, even if the result is the same as for simple things. For example, my insufficient knowlege of Smalltalk fails me when I think of if-then-else statement: is it

blah ifTrue:[thenpart] ifFalse:[elsepart].

or is it

blah ifTrue:[thenpart]; ifFalse:[elsepart].

(I suspect it's the second one)

It depends on what returned from ifXXX: : result of block or self. I know where to look for the answer. Somebody who just expects C++ syntax does not. He/she will grumble about dumb computers.

Another example: how do you do chained ifs? You should not have to, but what if you do? I can see that Smalltalk has to have a better primitive for that than nested blocks. I'd go looking in True and False classes, or in collections. If it's not there, I'll write it. The other kind of programmer will simply write it off oas computer's stupidity and use the inconvenient nested blocks.

[*] "complex" in certain sence. I am comfortable with Smalltalk complexity, but I am lost with computational mathematics, which is also called complex. And I've seen really smart people who have it the other way around. "Average programmer" can be extremely smart person, and still not grock Smalltalk/Lisp way.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New (Oops)
Serves me right for posting before checking.
Of course, Smalltalk has ifTrueifFalse method. I think my ideas still stand, though :).
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
     Advanced programming languages - why are they not used? - (Arkadiy) - (104)
         question from a non programmer - (boxley) - (11)
             Second through fourth sentences are a blur - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                 sorry, I went from your specific - (boxley) - (9)
                     Well... - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                         I am not smart enough to detect the difference - (boxley) - (7)
                             In C++, "if" is simple - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                 I think I disagree, maybe - (drewk) - (5)
                                     Re: I think I disagree, maybe - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                         I was right - (drewk)
                                         Re: I think I disagree, maybe - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                             Perl 6 will take that idea farther - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 +5 Informative. - (static)
         I regard Smalltalk as a teaching language - (warmachine) - (5)
             Dixit. -NT - (Arkadiy)
             I regard it as the most powerful production tool I have - (tuberculosis)
             couple of comments - (ChrisR) - (2)
                 Re: couple of comments - (warmachine) - (1)
                     Documentation tool? - (ChrisR)
         Your brain is damaged - (tuberculosis) - (13)
             I am not saying - (Arkadiy) - (11)
                 Average guy? Come here and say that! :) - (warmachine) - (6)
                     Either you are, or... - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                         Yep! But give it more time. - (warmachine)
                     What's this got to do with the price of oil in Baghdad? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Oops! You're right. - (warmachine) - (2)
                             You've missed something I think - (tuberculosis)
                             Re: Oops! You're right. - (JimWeirich)
                 OK that's true - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                     Smalltalk for Small Tykes - (JimWeirich)
                     Wrong sense of "narrative". - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                         (Oops) - (Arkadiy)
             modeling English - (tablizer)
         Re: Advanced programming languages - why are they not used? - (deSitter) - (1)
             I was going to mention Forth, - (Arkadiy)
         Bad Marketing - (tablizer) - (69)
             Re-implement these examples, please - (ben_tilly) - (56)
                 Problem description missing - (tablizer) - (55)
                     Problem description - (ben_tilly) - (54)
                         Arrays of arrays? There's your problem.Use relational tables -NT - (tablizer) - (53)
                             Why am I not surprised that you avoided the question? - (ben_tilly) - (52)
                                 hold on, cowboy - (tablizer) - (51)
                                     No, you never do say that you are done - (ben_tilly) - (50)
                                         Okay, I admit it was too sweeping - (tablizer) - (49)
                                             Re: Okay, I admit it was too sweeping - (deSitter)
                                             Thank you - (ben_tilly) - (47)
                                                 that is what I am looking for - (tablizer) - (46)
                                                     Re: that is what I am looking for - (admin) - (6)
                                                         What's that? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             Re: What's that? - (admin)
                                                         Actually Java Anonymous Inner Classes - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                             If I remember correctly, - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 Not entirely accurate. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                     Thanks - (Arkadiy)
                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                                                     How much are you willing to pay? - (ben_tilly) - (37)
                                                         If you don't have the evidence, then just say so -NT - (tablizer) - (36)
                                                             You win, again - (ben_tilly) - (35)
                                                                 Can't ANYBODY ever find a #@!* BIZ example? -NT - (tablizer) - (34)
                                                                     Ben's given me an idea. - (static) - (4)
                                                                         different "core"? - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                             That's one way to think of it. - (static) - (2)
                                                                                 But if tree traversal was trivial, then it does not matter - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                     It's a matter of perspective. - (static)
                                                                     A TOP example - (johnu) - (19)
                                                                         re: transaction rollback - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                             Why not just use a closure? - (johnu) - (16)
                                                                                 Eval () is a kind of closure - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                                                                                     Python supports it... - (admin)
                                                                                     topic is not about me, Mr. Insult - (tablizer)
                                                                                     Re: Eval () is NOT a kind of closure - (JimWeirich) - (12)
                                                                                         You are right. - (Arkadiy) - (11)
                                                                                             All? - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                                                 I was thinking about - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                                                                                                     Thought you had missed those :-) - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                                                                                         Re: Thought you had missed those :-) - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                                                                                                             That mostly works - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                                                                 Re: That mostly works - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                                                                                     Think we are even then - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                                         A function to produce list from range - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                                             So? - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                 Fake Closures - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Wow - (Arkadiy)
                                                                         Re: A TOP example - (JimWeirich)
                                                                     Multivariate Regression Analysis - (ChrisR) - (8)
                                                                         Why not Eval()? - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                             The problem is that the equations are part of the data - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                 I am not following you - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                                                     Do you not understand Regression? - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                         Eval can be used to compute arbitrary function - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                                             Eval is "good enuf" for occassional use. - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                 You are not familiar with Ruby then - (ben_tilly)
                                                                             Of course Eval()? - (JimWeirich)
             Re: Bad Marketing - (JimWeirich) - (11)
                 re: closures - (tablizer) - (10)
                     re: closures - (JimWeirich) - (9)
                         bottom bread - (tablizer) - (8)
                             Still waiting for examples - (JimWeirich) - (7)
                                 misunderstanding? - (tablizer) - (6)
                                     misunderstanding? ... Now I'm Confused - (JimWeirich) - (5)
                                         long blocks - (tablizer) - (4)
                                             Back to the Example ... - (JimWeirich) - (3)
                                                 auto-close - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                     Exceptions - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                                         Warning: Discussing exceptions with me is a loooong topic -NT - (tablizer)

Does this snake smell funny to you?
188 ms