IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Passport: What a Fxxked red-haired child
As I posted in the water cooler topic, I've created a couple of throwaway accounts trying to gauge where in hell I'm getting spam-bombed from.

Started over the weekend. Created one account. By tuesday, I had friggin' forgotten the password to the account. But Wait! They don't require much information to get an account (I approve of that), and the provide a handy "redo your password" utility. OK, I try it. "Try again later, we are temporarily unable to fulfill the request" (or something to that effect.)

From Tuesday until about 6:00 PM Wednesday, I got the damn "temporarily unable" message. From their passport service.

Prefix to questions. Remember that Microsoft wants to move everyone to service-based products. You get access to your document via a service on the Web. You get access via Passport. The Passport that was "temporarily unavailable" for at least two days straight.

Question 1: Given that my (presumably) vital business information was unavailable for at least two business days, would you want your business to buy into the Microsoft subscriber methodology?

Question 2: Do you know of any stupid insane organizations that have bought into the .NET picture?

Question 3: Are you doing business with any of them?

Question 4: Who in their right mind would "upgrade" to anything.NET?
Rest in peace, Jeremy, Mark, Thomas, and whoever else who helped overpower the hijackers on Flight 93.
New You forget the PHBs and their bosses.
Microsoft doesn't give a fsck about you - they have the ear of the bosses, and a very compelling set of hot buttons.
  • "Log in anywhere and you get your own familiar workspace". Terminally attractive to execs and salespeople. Negative consequences? They've heard the word, no need to listen to you.

• "You need no infrastructure and no expertise, we provide everything you need for one low monthly price". You know any PHB who can resist this pitch?

• "Shop Floor to Boardroom Integration". They're pitching this to manufacturers, and some are already signed up. I read commentary by the IS director of a major automotive electric manufacturer who signed up months ago. He thought it was "a little scary putting you molding machines on the Internet", but felt the advantages Microsoft offered were just plain irresistable.

• "One login and the world is at your feet". Cool, huh? Security? "Microsoft has assured us it's perfectly safe".

• "It's from Microsoft". That's really all most PHBs need to hear. "Microsoft is big, rich and successful. I want to be associated with them".
The PHBs and their bosses will believe these things, because they truly want to believe them.

There's going to be some awful horror stories, but you know what? The scapegoat isn't going to be Microsoft, because if they blamed Microsoft they wouldn't be able to buy from them next time, and that would be really scary.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Y'know.. to the extent this is a verisimilitude of
what goes on in the suited mind:

We've created the most fucked-up infra-civilization in history. Never mind the charlatans at M$; we understand their salivation ever since Pavlov -- but the self-duplicity! An actual intentional trade of one's own (formerly called, when it existed - integrity) for the most superficial imaginable sense of security..

No wonder that the most rapacious call selves compassionate (an unknown word - what could it hurt?) and the most reactionary settle on conservative! meaning, simply:

I want to conserve what I've extorted - and keep adding more of Yours to the hoard.

Maybe those guys are right.. (only it's really The Banal Satan, guys)

Die Infidel!!.. Wait.. I... I've got *mail*!

(sure glad none of this is real)
New You know, at one point I thought of myself as cynical...
But then I saw you and realized how far I had to go.

I have been taking tips though, perhaps some day...

Cheers,
Ben
New Cynical? Only as in . .
Cynic, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be. - Ambrose Bierce
New Hmm.
  • You get to jump on Microsoft instead of IT when it goes all pear-shaped! Meanwhile your competitors who bucked the Microsoft Mantra are still getting work done... Maybe they're rebooting the servers again.
  • With no IT staff, you get to pay Microsoft per incident! I hope you're making enough money to do that...
  • It's from Microsoft! What? Not throwing up yet?

Not that too many will likely buy all that...

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the American Public...
...or of the Corporation...
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Unfortunately for your thesis . .
. . many have already bought in. That's why Gartner Group had to say .NET projects that depend on IIS should be put on hold, implying they are already well under way.
New Stop the insults please
What did red haired children ever do to you that you must savage them with this unholy criticism?
For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong
H. L. Mencken, Mencken's Metalaw
New Uh-oh...
methinks we have a redhead.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New An EX-redhead, I'd say, since judging from the new...
...user-ID, it's graying! :-)

(Is that why you switched, Don?)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Yep, quite distinguished looking
even if I do say so myself. Got a streak above my right eye going straight back and lots of grey in the goatee. But I have never been a redhead, I just don't see why they should be tarred with this heinous comparison (come to think of it though, every redheaded woman I have ever known has been an absolute whack job).
For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong
H. L. Mencken, Mencken's Metalaw
     The SSSCA, Microsoft's answer to the DoJ? - (ben_tilly) - (21)
         Please fix format - this will be linked-to (!) - (Ashton) - (1)
             Thanks for pointing that out, did. -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Re: The SSSCA, Microsoft's answer to the DoJ? - (wharris2)
         shot off a missive to Sen Ted who is Alaska's giant - (boxley) - (2)
             Captain Cook eh.. what's the chances of your needing a soak - (Ashton) - (1)
                 I have dealt with his office before - (boxley)
         K5 Submission as well - (kmself)
         Two significant items - (ben_tilly) - (12)
             Passport: What a Fxxked red-haired child - (wharris2) - (11)
                 You forget the PHBs and their bosses. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     Y'know.. to the extent this is a verisimilitude of - (Ashton)
                     You know, at one point I thought of myself as cynical... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Cynical? Only as in . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Hmm. - (static) - (2)
                         NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the American Public... - (jb4)
                         Unfortunately for your thesis . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Stop the insults please - (Silverlock) - (3)
                     Uh-oh... - (bepatient) - (2)
                         An EX-redhead, I'd say, since judging from the new... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Yep, quite distinguished looking - (Silverlock)
         Note current /. discussion - (ben_tilly)

We sell COFFEE-flavored coffee.
57 ms