IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What I might say in a similar situation.
In 1776, a group of slaveowning men advanced the notion, without irony, that "All men are created equal."

From our origins as a very divided, very unequal country, we have advanced considerably. These advances were often a direct result of the barbarism, slaughter, bloodshed, and heroism of war.

In the Civil War, both sides felt that blacks were incapable of being soldiers. They were proven wrong by example, with stunning examples of bravery and solderiering.

In World War II, it was felt that all Japanese in the country would only have loyalty to "their" Emperor, and so they were locked up in internment camps. Except for the young men, who were drafted, of course. And who then went on to amass a stunning record with their battlefield performance and loyalty to the United States. And its certainly well known that the US Japanese were as loyal to the US as any other distinct group.

Also during Word War II, it was felt that blacks now were incapable of flying airplanes, particularly high-speed, demanding fighters. The well-known record of the "Tuskeegee Airmen" should be ample rebuttal.

Largely as a result of such heros, the Armed Forces were integrated shortly after the war.

In the last 30 years, we have found a surging tide of Islamic Fundamentalism, spread by the technology and culture that apparently, it abhors. The terrors used by these driven people are well known.

On April 19th, 1995, the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, in Oklahoma City disappeared in a blast and shock wave.

The initial reaction was that it "must have been" Arab terrorism. As we now know, it was the work of a US citizen of European extraction, with ties to fundamentalist Christian groups. The initial hatred and reaction toward people appearing to be Arabic was incorrect.

Now, with this recent tragedy, the same prejudices/presumtions are resurrected.
Arabs are no more from the same mold than "Europeans" or "Christians"
There are as many factions of Islam as there are of Christianity, and lest we forget the home-grown terrorists and fundamentalist fanatics.

There is not a difference between Islamic mullahs and well-known Christian commentators in this country pronouncing the "reason" for the bombing was the "lack of God" in this country.

And yet further is the diversity of religions in the region - people of the same skin tone who have histories of warring over the exact religious issue. Stories are spreading about Sikh's being attacked. Sikh's and Muslims have been warring before the United States was founded.

The best way to deal with these Islamic fundamentalist is to deny them what they want - changing our way of life for the worse.

The best way to win this "war", is to look past skin tone and religion even more than we have in the past, to the person beyond.
New Excellent.
I would add only an expansion of a point you have not missed:

Begin noticing the commonalities of 'Fundamentalists' of all stripes.

Whether here or abroad, whatever ethnicity - their common goal is the imposition upon all others, of their narrow man-made interpretation of ancient man-written 'Scriptures'. These will place their ego's interpretations of these retranslated and interpreted words - above all concepts *of all humanity*, for each 'Believes' He is acting for God. This while.. piously preaching, the sanctity of human life. You can't have Both!

In this last is the baldfaced evidence that even language itself is "fair game", once one has achieved fanatic-levels of 'theological' Certainty.

These are the avowed enemies of any concept of an 'open society' and of, the tolerance of diverse opinions essential to such a society. They are certainly my philosophical 'enemy'; only today it is much clearer why these are also enemies in the pragmatic daily sense: that of mere physical survival as and within an open society.

Ashton
New I thought about including some of those points...
The reason that I didn't in the end is that I couldn't see how to make it fit the overall message I wanted in the space that I had. The history is all true, and all important. But if I said everything that I wanted to say, I would wind up writing a large book...

Ben
     A request for tolerance - final - (ben_tilly) - (35)
         Words . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             Words? C'mon. - (wharris2)
             He's preaching to the choir, don'cha know. - (marlowe) - (4)
                 WTF is your problem? - (ben_tilly)
                 What is your point? - (Ashton)
                 Grow up. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Oh dear, now I've gone and offended the choir. - (marlowe)
         change hateful racists to cowards hiding behind the skirts - (boxley)
         I dont think that it is just racists (their there) - (boxley)
         One suggestion. - (Steve Lowe)
         Give reasoning from the general to the particular its due. - (marlowe) - (14)
             Re: Give reasoning from the general to the particular its du - (wharris2) - (1)
                 For what it's worth... - (marlowe)
             Get over your bad self - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 I'm open to suggestions. - (marlowe)
             I give it exactly its due - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 About that "Catch-22" - (marlowe) - (6)
                     I think you are reading in something I didn't say - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         Here's an idea. - (marlowe) - (4)
                             I am for an effective understanding - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 Fair enough, but... - (marlowe) - (2)
                                     Read the "squishy sermonizing" again, please - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Immigrants as a self-selecting group. - (marlowe)
             nit - (tablizer) - (1)
                 Counter-nits. - (marlowe)
         two minor suggestions - (brettj)
         Thanks for caring! - (brettj)
         What I might say in a similar situation. - (addison) - (2)
             Excellent. - (Ashton)
             I thought about including some of those points... - (ben_tilly)
         good to go, still dont like racist but (shrug) -NT - (boxley) - (4)
             It is a question of audience - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 well the ahole see's the word racist and - (boxley)
                 Calling them racist is counterproductive. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 A question of audience indeed. - (marlowe)

When's the last time you heard China?
70 ms