IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ? SIS card?
What SIS card?

(Aside: What part of StL do you inhabit?)
-drl
New Short-Attention-Span Theater
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=86017|#86017].

>:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: ? SIS card?
Oh sorry, forgot to add that the only way Andrei WORKS now, is we put the original SIS 6326 card back in, and it's also AGP.

I live in North St. Louis County, any reason you asked? :)

Nightowl >8#

"Honesty is the best policy, and the one I use." :)
ATI cards have a fixed memory aperture for the frame buffer. This can be configured, but should auto-configure.

There is no reason, NONE WHATSOEVER, for the ATI card to be incompatible with this mobo. Something is wrong in the BIOS.

See here:

[link|http://mirror.ati.com/support/infobase/biostutorial.html|http://mirror.ati.co...biostutorial.html]
-drl
Hmmm ok, Desitter. We'll look at that too.

Here is what the Tech people at Tyan wrote me back: (just now)

TYAN wrote:>>I'm not sure what could be causing this problem. We haven't done any further video testing with this product due to its age. The video
compatibility stopped at the GeForce2 GTS level due to power
requirements and board layout and etc. being at their maximum at that point. We have not tested this 7200 Radeon so we can't say if it is truly because there is a compatibility issue or something else associated. It would seem that since you can't even get this to post you are experiencing a base compatibility issue that doesn't have a solution.<<

Hmmmm any ideas here? What do they mean by can't get it to post, do they mean, can't get it to boot up? And what is a base compatibility problem?

Thanks!

Nightowl >8#

New Their Answer
It would seem that since you can't even get this to post you are experiencing a base compatibility issue that doesn't have a solution.

POST == Power On System Test. Therefore POST == boot up.

They ain't got a clue, and since the card is "so old", they don't want to be bothered with it. You're getting good suggestions from here. I can't help, no experience with either the MB or Vid card.

btw, Welcome aboard.

[link|mailto:jbrabeck@attbi.com|Joe]
New Re: Their Answer
It would seem that since you can't even get this to post you are experiencing a base compatibility issue that doesn't have a solution.

POST == Power On System Test. Therefore POST == boot up.

Thanks, that explains it better to me! (it starts sounding like computer "greek" to me after a point!)

They ain't got a clue, and since the card is "so old", they don't want to be bothered with it. You're getting good suggestions from here. I can't help, no experience with either the MB or Vid card.

Okay, thanks!

btw, Welcome aboard.

Thanks again, and it's nice to have somewhere to go for the help. :) My usual computer repair person moved to Texas and it's hard to get him here to repair anything anymore! ;)

Nightowl >8#

New have yer husband offer copious amounts of beer to
desitter and a ride, he would prolly go over and fix it.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
\ufffdOmni Gaul Delenda est!\ufffd Ceasar
New Re: have yer husband offer copious amounts of beer to
This is Nightowl's husband.

So if he can't get it to work, do I get my beer back? (I know, not the way I WANT it back....)

I think it gives me one long beep and three short beeps, but it stutters, so it's hard to tell. The manual says it should never beep unless it's one long and two short.

By the way, the system does boot, it just beeps and doesn't display anything. I know it's booting, because it accessed the disk, and I powered down, and when I powered back up with the SiS card, Windows complained that I didn't shut it down properly.

I upgraded the VIA 4in1 drivers, so that's not a problem. There are a lot of sites that say that the VIA chips don't handle "high-power" graphics cards like the Radeon very well, so there may be nothing we can do.

I tried an Auto AGP Apurture size, and also EC (the default) and CC (what Tyan recommends in the manual) with no luck. The 4x speed is disabled. AGP is the default card type. I'm trying not to change any settings that might kill off our other AGP card, because that would be a pain.

What I really should do is build a new computer with new parts, but I don't have the money for that at the moment....

Thanks for all your help!

Nightowl's husband, JohnF

(Nightowl says I should tell you the other computer that I use, to really shock you! It's a 60MHz Pentium with Windows 3.11, and yes, it's the Pentium with the floating point bug built in. I kept it instead of exchanging it for a working one, in case it becomes a collector's item someday. Anyway, it still works for the moment, though I have to use Netscape version 3 to view the Internet on it.)
New Idea.
Perhaps the PCI IRQ routing is screwed.

With the working card in, go into the BIOS and select whatever option you have for "reset configuration data", "reset ESCD data" or similar.

Power down.

Insert new card.

Power up.

Yes, it's a straw - but you're entitled to clutch :-)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Good Call
..but I already mentioned that.

ATI cards like IRQ 9.
-drl
New Could another device be using IRQ 9
and it doesn't like sharing it? Some motherboard resources like to grab IRQs like that IRQ Steering that Peter mentioned. Do you think that maybe the ATI card is grabbing an IRQ that another resource is also trying to grab? Then they don't like sharing it.

Try this, use the SiS card, disable the USB ports and extra serial port if you are not using them. Reset the plug and play settings for the motherboard, power down and then put the ATI card back in, see if that makes a difference.

See if there is a jumper or DIP switch on the ATI card that assigns the IRQ manually, then tell Plug and Play in BIOS to reserve that IRQ for a legacy device, and see if that works.

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
New Dah Dit Dit Dit = no video
I know exactly what this is - the AGP aperture. But, I can't fix it remotely.
-drl
New Re: Dah Dit Dit Dit = no video
I know exactly what this is - the AGP aperture. But, I can't fix it remotely.

Hmmm, well is there any way to tell John how to fix it? I appreciate anything you can tell us to try. :)

We also wrote ATI in Canada tonight, and they sent us an automated response saying they would look into it too. Maybe between them, Tyan and you guys, we'll solve it. :)

Thanks again!

Nightowl >8#

New Re: Dah Dit Dit Dit = no video
This is Nightowl's husband again. I misspoke when I said, "AGP aperture size". That is set to 64MB. What I actually meant was that I tried Auto, EC, and CC for the AGP Driving Value. Does that beep code really mean the aperture size is wrong?

Thanks,

Nightowl's husband JohnF
     Problem with Tyan Trinity M/B and ATI Radeon 7200 video card - (Nightowl) - (50)
         Post beeps and not booting indicates the motherboard - (boxley) - (7)
             Nightowl - Does the card need addl. resources? - (imric) - (5)
                 Re: Nightowl - Does the card need addl. resources? - (Nightowl) - (4)
                     Re: Nightowl - Does the card need addl. resources? - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Re: Nightowl - Does the card need addl. resources? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                             Re: Nightowl - Does the card need addl. resources? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 Also some bio's allocate some memory to video buffers - (boxley)
             Re: Post beeps and not booting indicates the motherboard - (Nightowl)
         Are you sure you pushed it all the way in? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             What he said - (pwhysall)
             Re: Are you sure you pushed it all the way in? - (Nightowl)
         It sounds to me - (orion) - (23)
             Re: It sounds to me - (Nightowl) - (22)
                 You might like to try: - (admin) - (4)
                     Re: You might like to try: - (Nightowl) - (3)
                         Yep, like that. - (admin) - (2)
                             Re: Yep, like that. - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                 Re: Yep, like that. - (admin)
                 Re: It sounds to me - (deSitter) - (16)
                     Re: It sounds to me - (Nightowl) - (15)
                         ? SIS card? - (deSitter) - (14)
                             Short-Attention-Span Theater - (Another Scott)
                             Re: ? SIS card? - (Nightowl) - (12)
                                 Re: ? SIS card? - (deSitter) - (11)
                                     Re: ? SIS card? - (Nightowl) - (10)
                                         Their Answer - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                                             Re: Their Answer - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                 have yer husband offer copious amounts of beer to - (boxley) - (7)
                                                     Re: have yer husband offer copious amounts of beer to - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                         Idea. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             Good Call - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                 Could another device be using IRQ 9 - (orion)
                                                         Dah Dit Dit Dit = no video - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                             Re: Dah Dit Dit Dit = no video - (Nightowl)
                                                             Re: Dah Dit Dit Dit = no video - (Nightowl)
         In building a couple hundred computers . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             Re: In building a couple hundred computers . . - (Nightowl)
             Idea.... video card swap? - (orion) - (1)
                 Re: Idea.... video card swap? - (Nightowl)
         It's working now! - (Nightowl) - (10)
             Good show, John! - (a6l6e6x)
             If the screwhole doesn't line up . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             You know - (deSitter) - (7)
                 Don't be an ass. - (admin) - (1)
                     Re: Don't be an ass. - (Nightowl)
                 You must do on-line Linux support, right? - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Foiled by this myself Friday - (kmself)
                     Can verify Cheap cases== Bad Seating - (Meerkat) - (2)
                         You'll just have to find... - (kmself) - (1)
                             wanted, SO with top end PC. Email specs on PC. -NT - (boxley)

I don't get no respect!
83 ms