IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Marlowe must be our literary 'better' -
Well it does appear true, as I think I had occasion to observe once before, that on the basis of his keen analyses of the global correlation of forces Marlowe has clearly subjected Tom Clancy's entire oeuvre to the most rigorous study and analysis--so it's not as though he despises all the twentieth century classics.

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New ROFL

Geeze you can be a cheeky bastard <g>

Doug

(said with true Oz affection <still laffing>)
New I was once recipient of an autographed copy of the Bricker
[link|http://www.libertyhaven.com/theoreticalorphilosophicalissues/publicchoice/globalism.html| Amendment] (Summary, sorta) - from aforementioned Gramma. This while I was getting ready to attend an Institute.. (she was worried that those 'professors' might Give Me Ideas and all..) - a natural fear which any Possessor of the One Truth is apt to have.
While the Bricker Amendment earned the contempt of influential members of the Washington Establishment, the libertarian journalist Garet Garrett recognized its populist origins. What was really at stake, Garrett insisted, was the people's ability to have a voice in the kind of international agreements that would be binding on them, and the protection of everyone's constitutional rights from the whims of executive fiat. "The people are told they know not what they do," he wrote. "They would weaken American leadership in the world and perhaps destroy mankind's hope of peace. But all they wanted was simply to be let alone. " 15

The editors of the conservative weekly Human Events agreed with Garrett, gratified by the outpouring of support for the Amendment by ordinary Americans. Early in 1954 the editors exulted in the success of "The Vigilant Women of the Bricker Amendment," who had established regional coordinators in 39 states and whose officers succeeded in bringing 500,000 signatures to Washington. 16

Ultimately, the George Amendment, a watered-down version of Senator Bricker's original proposal, failed by one vote to receive the necessary two-thirds majority of the Senate.

A good many Republicans, upon leaming of the Eisenhower Administration's staunch opposition to the Amendment, withdrew their support out of loyalty to the President. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the most liberal senators in each party - whom the Old Right Chicago Tribune contemptuously described as "all the New Dealers"also voted against it.
Natch I didn't know shit about the obtuseness and deviousness, just plain guaranteed hypocrisy of 'politics' then - I think I still imagined that the civics class du jour - had explained what the bloody country ran by. Yabut.. I didn't imagine I had the whole scoop either, but I knew she did [imagine that]] -- and that knowledge was enough for me to skim this turgid booklet with at least a tiny prescience of the idea that there were *blab-words; words so freighted with indiv. emotional BS - as to be meaningless. Lucky me.

* I encountered Stuart Chase's Tyranny of Words (first effective popularization of Korzybski?) only much later -- regretting I hadn't known of these ideas much earlier. Could have saved lots of wasted [Huh !?!]s Oh well. Twas he who showed examples from speeches of the blab word in action. A child could grok his meaning, but certainly not read K's IMhO.

Looks as if we each have to replay the gamut from the reptile brain onwards, no matter how many have blazed the trail - after all, the fetus goes through that in less time than ... it takes an Ashcroft to write an anthem / hold a preyer meeting / cancel a Constitution, all so as to Protect The Murican Way of Life and Consumption.

Ashton
How do you change Channels on this sucker and all I can get is something called

WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD WMD

- I've seen this shit Before!
     Power-drunk teachers bully sons of soldiers. - (marlowe) - (15)
         theres a teacher that needs to be fired - (boxley)
         Contrast that with teaching of "Creationism". - (Brandioch) - (2)
             Eh? - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 Exactly! - (Brandioch)
         OK, so you go teach instead. - (tuberculosis)
         I had a teacher in high school - (orion) - (4)
             Gawd.. if she made you READ NEWSPAPERS.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Amen, Brother! -NT - (rcareaga)
                 Shine the light of Eternal Truth on it! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Orion, gotta tell you a funny story ... - (dmarker)
         Geez, get over Sherwood Anderson! - (rcareaga) - (4)
             Marlowe must be our literary 'better' - - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Re: Marlowe must be our literary 'better' - - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     ROFL - (dmarker)
                     I was once recipient of an autographed copy of the Bricker - (Ashton)

DUDE!
52 ms