IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh, als Schwede bin ich ganz bestimmt ein Du - ich Duze alle
The Swedes officially abandoned their word corresponding to "Sie", "ni" (No Monty Python jokes, please -- it's pronounced "nee"), in... Uh, 1968? -67? Thereabouts. And since I grew up there from 1969, I'm definitely more Swedish than German in my (a-)social manners; I even Tutoie les Francais, if I'm not consciously reminding myself to Vous them.

Heck, the specific region of Sweden where I grew up (Dalarna, or 'Dalecarlia' as I've seen it rendered in English), was known for its egalitarian manners even *before* the Du-reform... There's a wonderful old joke about a rustic meeting Prince Bertil(*) for the first time, sometime loong before Swedes started calling everybody 'du' -- except the king, whom we *still* call 'Your Majesty'. Anyway, the point is, this fellow -- quite possibly some local notable, an alderman or town councillor or something; I can't remember -- says to the prince (correctly called "Your Royal Highness") something which works in German, too: "hier Duzen wir alle, ausser dich und deinem Bruder!"

(*): The uncle, or possibly grand-uncle, of our current King Carl XVI Gustaf. He died about a decade ago; had lived his life as a conscientious royal, the perpetual stand-in first for his monarch and father (or brother), then for his monarch and nephew (or grand-nephew). Hmm, if I remember correctly about it being "your brother" the yokel uses to refer to the king in that joke, then Bertil and "Cal Gustf"(+) must be grand-uncle and grand-nephew, since the latter took over the throne from his grandfather, his father having died young. Except, in his younger days Bertil wasn't averse to risking his life; he raced cars (under some pseudonym, probably) with such enthusiasm that he was known as "the Motor Prince" until the day he died.

(+): Our current king was/is a dyslexic; that's how he signed his name on a rock down in the old copper mine in Falun($). I saw it myself, when I went down there with my class on a school trip in fifth or sixth grade; he had, ISTR, been about the same age when he wrote it. The mine was cool enough, but the high point of the trip was when I and my best friend came across a book store that had SF paperbacks on sale -- I must have bought three or four; Bester, Williamson... At that age, we still read the Swedish translations, of course.

($): The provincial capital of Dalarna/'Dalecarlia', home of the world's oldest stock corporation, Stora Kopparbergs Bergslag AB, which ran the mine from ~1300 AD or something up into this century; at its peak, in the 17th century, it produced more than half the world's production of copper. Nowadays, they're in wood, pulp, and paper, and apparently officially changed their name to just "STORA" some years ago.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Aha.. soviel f\ufffdr Faszination mit dem ' Duesy ' automobil :-\ufffd
     The vile French - (rcareaga) - (23)
         We have been dissing the magic man etc since 1995 or so - (boxley)
         Amazing research. - (bepatient) - (13)
             "French" fries - (rcareaga) - (8)
                 I knew he was kidding... - (bepatient) - (7)
                     Re: I knew he was kidding... - (rcareaga) - (6)
                         Almost had... - (bepatient)
                         Get it right: - (admin) - (4)
                             Re: Get it right: - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                 Re: Get it right: - (admin) - (1)
                                     Oh, jeez, Google... - (rcareaga)
                             I thought it was - (lincoln)
             Bah! Everybody knows that Belgium doesn't exist! - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 sure it does, belch in the bottom and phlem on top -NT - (boxley)
                 :-D ROFL. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Donnervetter! - you've found a *marlowe-clone* site ! - (Ashton)
         OT: Mein Gott, es hat einen Bart! -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
             Es hat? Ich hab' "er hat" gedackt. Oder meinst du das Bild? -NT - (jbrabeck) - (4)
                 Ich habe ihn 'es' genannt, um ein bisschen gemein zu sein. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Ich hab' da\ufffd nie gedakt, da\ufffd du gemein sein kannst! - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                         Oh, als Schwede bin ich ganz bestimmt ein Du - ich Duze alle - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Aha.. soviel f\ufffdr Faszination mit dem ' Duesy ' automobil :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
             Passen Sie es auf! - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Das, mein Alter, glaub' ich kaum... (new thread) - (CRConrad)

Somebody say, "Co-lom-bo!"
76 ms