IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ah, windowpane!
as good as a hit of Owsley windowpane

I--or rather, ahem, my cousin Ernie used to distribute that stuff on a small scale via mail order: use physically big, small-denomination stamps, cut a piece of Zigzag wheatstraw paper to shield the little windowpanes from the adhesive, glue stamps w/paper squares over cargo, mail. 100% safe for domestic transport, and, ah, Ernie even got it through Her Majesty's post once or twice.

happy trails,

PS--You are spot-on when almost any other subject comes up, but trackballs? Feh!!
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
Expand Edited by rcareaga Feb. 19, 2003, 01:42:26 AM EST
New We gotta stop meeting like this..
We coulda been Separated at Birth\ufffd as far as that ol physiognomy stuff goes.. and then too - you appear to be relatively freed of the dread, rampant Cunservative Brand of HCV er, Human Conscienceo-deficiency Virus - too. Improbable in this tiny pond y'know?

[mid-stream urinalysis]
Weell.. bein in Berkeley all along til mid-'80s.. ummm - no, it didn't affect me permanently at all. What was the subject? Ah yes: ..with the kaleidoscope eyes. Sturm und Drang mit that immortal refrain by Mr. Zappa, entitled, She's Leaving Home ... minutes or hours later ... Mr. Glenn Gould [alas.. alack.. dead at 51? Life IS Unfair] and a Bach Partita as JS wished he had had such a pianoforte, on which to release it into the \ufffdther -->
[/stream]

What can one say? Wouldn't trade a m/sec of it for a seat on En-Ronnie Oil Inc. Board of Destructors. Or a kazoo concert in the Whitish House with Condoleeza on spoons. (Even if I Could wear my USAF mess jacket *and* Mad Hatter leather hat - In This Style 10/6 - and my purple tie with the hand-painted trumpet..)

No problemo re trackballs.. after all, some folks love to drive '53 Buicks, too (the ones with the portholes).

Got any theories how 'we all' became so insipidly boring.. so soon after Yellow Submarine.. how there could be BOTH a Yanni AND a Kenny g-spot - allowed to live? And Lawrence Welk reruns on PBS (!) Can you explain a 20 yo Cunservative in a Ford Tempo on the fast-track to his accounting degree?

(sleeper: I have a tape made on a Uher Report L tape recorder, of Mario Savio [FSM and all, at Sproul Hall, UC] talkin to nearby folks, a few hours before Gov. Reagan: sent in the Hiway Patrol to drag the sit-in kiddies down the steps by their feet; heads bumping on every step yada & yada. I hear they made him a President or something, later on.)

Ah - them was the days; there were actually Alive People within that mass of hangers-on; nothin new about the ratio, there. Folks *understood* that there meeja-bias alright; and the power of satire. Now we gots "SNL" - the moribund '03 Leave It to Beaver dirge (hyuk hyuk - see, that's a double-entendre and)

Well, enough of this parse-challenged surd.. It's like - got a friend over, with a decent Chardonnay and:

We heard Dubya 'speak' thrice today: Nintendo-Britney Eloi - just popped into my head on his first petulant syllababble.
His ears are welded. Shut. He's gonna Bet the Ranch on the raunch. He's Gotta have a war as good as his dad's.

Impeachment. Nice ring to that - how does one get the sound-bite launched? Anything's gotta be more fun than.. Jack-Os skin tone or Cheney's (?) draft deferment for h\ufffdmmorrhoids. Surely.

Ashton
more or less
In space no one can hear you babble.
New How did we get so boring?
Mothers little helpers and a +starvation wage. If ya can afford a bigscreen no point in reading.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
\ufffdOmni Gaul Delenda est!\ufffd Ceasar
New There's hope yet...
...I'm slowly weaning Susan off TV. We're about to start Ch. 2 of Book 6 in the Lord of the Rings series, and she's hooked. I plan on inflicting books on my children from a young age, and keeping the television mostly hidden, only bringing it out for films that really are a special something for kids. I.E., no Neo-Disney pap, but the goodies like "My Neighbor Totoro" or "Kiki's Delivery Service" - and yes, they'll watch the dubs.

I'm sure there's a couple classic Disney films that are quality, but the new stuff?

Ugh.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
New You give too much credit
I'm sure there's a couple classic Disney films that are quality, but the new stuff?
Which of the "classics" would you say are good children's fare? Before you answer, try to name three Disney movies that contain a complete nuclear family -- as in mother, father and one or more children -- as main characters. Ones like The Lion King, wherein the uncle kills the father and frames the son in the first reel, don't count.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New So, uh, Hamlet isn't a classic either, then?
In other words: What's with the "complete nuclear family" obsession?

Sure Disney's made some classics -- *other people's* classics!

And H. C. Andersen's and the Grimm brothers' fairy tales... Well, the very *point* of a fairy tale may be that the hero/ine encounters lotsa trouble, beginning with being bereaved of a "complete nuclear family".

As a criterion for a "classic", that's either useless, or you've got the sign wrong.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Not the way Disney does them
If they left in the original outcome, you know the moral of the story, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. But then most other people wouldn't want their kids to see them. "Hansel and Gretel stole part of the witch's house and ate it, so she ate them." "She what? I'm not letting my kids watch that!"

Look at the lessons Disney movies actually teach:

Sleeping Beauty -- The prince falls in love with her because she's pretty.

Cinderella -- See above. Oh, and the way to excape a bad home life is to marry a rich guy.

Beauty and the Beast -- She falls in love despite his appearance. (But in Disney's version of happily ever after he has to become handsome. In the original he stayed the way he was.)

The Lion King -- Uncle murders father and blames son. Son splits, and the world goes to shit because he didn't take his rightful (hereditary) place on the throne. No one can be happy unless they live the life they were born to.

I'm not all that thrilled with the way they always graft "happy" endings on to classics, and anything they do that's somewhat original is overloaded with bad cliches from top to bottom.

Hey, a little googling shows that someone [link|http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~kocinski/disney.txt|did] about the same thing I did above:
''Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'' (1937): Young woman flees quite dysfunctional family (stepmother intent on cutting out her heart) to live happily with very short, untidy men. Shows how much fun seven guys can have with one bar of soap.

''Pinocchio'' (1940): Unmarried, warmhearted woodcutter wants son. Zero interest in acquiring one through traditional methods. With fairy's help, he gets well-built little guy, a chip off the old block.

''Bambi'' (1942): Single mother - let's call her Jane Doe - bears a son. Absentee father nowhere in sight when they're reduced to eating bark to survive. Father speaks to Bambi only after Jane is fatally shot. Bambi fathers twins but skips out before their birth.

''Double Trouble'' (1946): Daisy breaks up with Donald Duck because he mumbles. Donald hires a double to sweet-talk her. Double takes Daisy into tunnel of love. Donald follows; feathers fly. Donald and double emerge embracing. They dash off together, leaving furious Daisy behind.

''Cinderella'' (1950): Pretty young maid escapes ugly home life.

''Peter Pan'' (1953): Flighty young fellow in tights drops in on Darling traditional family, goes back to live with Lost Boys and the fairy who has a crush on him.

''Donald's Diary'' (1953): Donald Duck recounts his ''narrow escape'' from getting into a nightmare of a marriage.

''Pollyanna'' (1960): Relentlessly upbeat orphan moves in, forces aunt to enjoy life.

''The Jungle Book'' (1967): Boy is raised by wolves.

Oh, and also [link|http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/474.html|this one]:
The premise is simple. Disney will do everything they can to destroy the traditional family unit in their movies. If the main character isn't an orphan at the beginning of the film, they're going to be before the movie is over.
===

New Mary Poppins?
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
New Nope, well, okay but ...
Actually I was referring to their animated movies in particular. But if I really wanted to be a prick about it I could point out that Mary Poppins, the only example you can come up with, still revolves around finding someone other than the parents to raise the children. But I won't do that.
===

New How about "Old Yeller"?
I've forgotten whether the kid had a Pa or not. Maybe not as I seem to remember the Ma having to threaten to shoot Yeller.

:-(

I see your point though. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New 'Course though.. in "The Yearling"
(Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings - and not Disney-syruped)

.. the kid has to shoot the veggie-loving fawn :(
New what no bugs? How are the going to learn History?
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

New Owsley windowpane?!?
You guys gotta get yer history straight.

Owsley ain't windowpane at all. It was a double-barrel tab, easily identifiable by the owl engraved on one of the faces (and, once ingested, easily identified by the intense but mellow ...er, "experience" it yielded). Windowpane, on the other hand, had the specific substance painted (or, better, included as part of) a small (2.5mm square, in my...er, "experience") gelatine square, which was ingested directly. The best windowpane was made by Clearlight Labs out of SF, but there were other sources, IIRC (which I probably don't...for dubious reasons...)

As windowpane was a completely different medium than Owsley, the concept of "owsley windowpane" is a non-sequitir.

[Edit: Fixed the inevitable typos...]
jb4
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook
Expand Edited by jb4 Feb. 19, 2003, 03:39:55 PM EST
New Could there have been more types?
The only Owsley I remember was 8-way Orange Barrel. My experiences were on the East coast and in the Midwest. So the stuff I remember most likely wasn't real Owsley.
How many lives per gallon?
--Sign outside of various churches
New Unless close to the source chances are not good
Owlsley was a marketing ploy, just like the funnyman blotter in the 80's. If you were close to where it was made or had excellent connections maybe it was.
thanx,
bill

New certainly not Owsley
Well, yes, "Owsley" was sheer branding, and no, I can't even recall the claim being made for windowpane. Nor, for that matter, can I recall it being made for "orange sunshine" (AKA "orange microtab"), a nasty little product--acid with attitude, not to mention what felt like (I am told) about seventeen different incompletely synthesized ergot alkaloids. Mind you, it did get a body off (I am told). The joke at the time (from the NatLamp, I think) was that two hits of the stuff would cause a vivid hallucination of Art Linkletter to appear floating in the air just outside one's dormitory window, beckoning irresistably, whispering over and over "You can fly...you can fly..."

cordially,
New I never cease to be amazed
By the sheer breadth of knowledge contianed in the [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=4558|IGM].
===

New Art Linkletter?
Bad trip, man...bad trip!

:-)
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New What are you talking about?
What bad trip? His show about kids saying the darndest things was loads of fun!

(Yeah, I know. His daughter did a pavement dive and the suicide was blamed on a bad acid trip.)
New If I hallucinate....
... I certainly wouldn't want it to be Art out my window.

Sorry...to me that would be...bad trip.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I have hallucinated
Compared to a couple of things I've "seen", Art Linkletter would be considered peaceful.
New that was thestrychnine that gave it bite

New Re: that was thestrychnine that gave it bite
Yeah, that was widely said at the time. Certainly the little barrels could grab a feller by the throat and give him a good shaking. Yowza!

cordially,
New Strychnine in Sunshine?
Yeah, right. More urban legend, methinks.

Most of those things had Benzedrine (el cheapo) or some form of other amphetamine-like stimulant in it. Strychnine was not generally used. (Naturally, if you were a peyote fan, you had to beware of the natural strychnine in that, but I digress...).
jb4
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook
New beans and strychnine thats why you puked in glowing colors
some times :-) strychnine is also mildly hallucegenic as well as amping the amphetamine effect.
thanx,
bill

Ah, the thing is back! - (Another Scott) - (41)
         I'm not greg, but I'll do it... - (inthane-chan) - (40)
             Danke! -NT - (Another Scott)
             What Thane... - (folkert) - (38)
                 Neato! gregfolkert.tv working now too! Thanks. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     No, "gregfolkert.tv is available!" ... :-) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Yep.. go fer it... - (folkert)
                 Speaking of your TWiki page ... - (drewk)
                 Ya know, Greg... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     DOH!!! -NT - (folkert)
                 Is that a wee timorous skulking beastie I spot.. - (Ashton) - (31)
                     As Robbie Burns hits 6000 RPM... -NT - (hnick)
                     Ooops. sorry about the repeat. -NT - (hnick)
                     Hey now... I might resemble that re-mock... - (folkert) - (28)
                         Ummm, TMI. - (Yendor) - (1)
                             Hey... get yur mind out of my gutter and get yur OWN!!!! - (folkert)
                         Feel same re my rebranded Gold Star, top-o-line - (Ashton) - (25)
                             ah, windowpane! - (rcareaga) - (24)
                                 We gotta stop meeting like this.. - (Ashton) - (10)
                                     How did we get so boring? - (boxley) - (9)
                                         There's hope yet... - (inthane-chan) - (8)
                                             You give too much credit - (drewk) - (6)
                                                 So, uh, Hamlet isn't a classic either, then? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     Not the way Disney does them - (drewk)
                                                 Mary Poppins? -NT - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                     Nope, well, okay but ... - (drewk) - (2)
                                                         How about "Old Yeller"? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                             'Course though.. in "The Yearling" - (Ashton)
                                             what no bugs? How are the going to learn History? -NT - (boxley)
                                 Owsley windowpane?!? - (jb4) - (12)
                                     Could there have been more types? - (Silverlock) - (11)
                                         Unless close to the source chances are not good - (boxley) - (10)
                                             certainly not Owsley - (rcareaga) - (9)
                                                 I never cease to be amazed - (drewk)
                                                 Art Linkletter? - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                     What are you talking about? - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                         If I hallucinate.... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                             I have hallucinated - (Silverlock)
                                                 that was thestrychnine that gave it bite -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     Re: that was thestrychnine that gave it bite - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                         Strychnine in Sunshine? - (jb4) - (1)
                                                             beans and strychnine thats why you puked in glowing colors - (boxley)

One may hardly be found in a handbag in the railway station unless one has been lost in a handbag in the railway station.
259 ms