IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: merging browsing into the OS.
Not at all, in fact I'm hoping I can move everyone to desktop Linux eventually. I will not buy XP machines. If I'm forced to buy Windows it will be Windows 2000.

The truth is, the only decent UI to date technically is WPS, and that has usage issues for the hoi polloi.

MS is too dumb to have a master plan. Have you ever seen anyone actually USE Active Desktop? For all practical purposes, IE is used like any other application - in spite of it really being welded to the OS. Windows is a stupid as ever, with no well-defined line between the hardware and the UI - it's just more stable now, after 8 years of the same thing. (It amazes me that in all this time, a decent competitor has not emerged.)

-drl
New Re: A decent competitor.
To take on the beast would require money that only Gates/Balmer/Allen/etc. has. That means that one would require "venture capital". But as Stewart Alsop testified before a Senate hearing, before Win2K shipped iirc, there is no way, even in the heyday of the late 1990's that anyone with a plan for an OS could possibly get funding.

It is no coincidence that Linux emerged as the singleton competitor: if you had a better idea for an OS and you tried to play by conventional capitalist rules, your air supply was cut off before you could draw your first breath. It had to be a grass-roots, community effort outside conventional bizness.

And don't underestimate MS's intellect. There are some very smart people working for them. Misguided, yes; Greedy, yes; Hell bent on world domination and equipped with a "take no prisoners" attitude, yes; ethically and morally challenged, yes; but stupid, no.

Edit:
Actually I have seen quite a few people using "Active Desktop." When I visited a friend working in the Charlotte office of Microsoft, nearly everyone there was using it.

bcnu,
Mikem
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Jan. 24, 2003, 01:06:36 PM EST
New There is one way
Make a VM oriented OS that can run "personalities".
-drl
New Perhaps, but...
you better do it in your spare time. Because no one, and I mean no one is going to float you enough money to get it off the ground. But, I repeat myself. ;-)
     Making money off of Linux: HP and IBM - (marlowe) - (38)
         What? No applause? Cmon O My Brothers! - (deSitter) - (22)
             Oh, I cheer. Even if I didn't post. - (imric)
             Stuff it. - (admin) - (1)
                 Seconded - (Yendor)
             Re: What? No applause? Cmon O My Brothers! - (rickmoen) - (1)
                 Guess Not - did you? -NT - (deSitter)
             As long as the profit is subservient to the code, sure. - (tseliot) - (16)
                 Meaningless statement - (deSitter) - (15)
                     Think "Microsoft" - (Brandioch) - (11)
                         Bad development, not a master plan - (deSitter) - (10)
                             There was a cultural attitude there. - (inthane-chan)
                             "DOS isn't done 'til Lotus won't run." It's cultural. QED. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Re: merging browsing into the OS. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 Re: merging browsing into the OS. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                     Re: A decent competitor. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         There is one way - (deSitter) - (1)
                                             Perhaps, but... - (mmoffitt)
                             Say that again. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                 Mozilla is just an application - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Ummm, incorrect. - (Brandioch)
                     Okay, Mr. low-context. - (tseliot) - (2)
                         Re: Okay, Mr. low-context. - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Up to a point. -NT - (tseliot)
         All that money and they still cant get a decent UI onto it -NT - (tuberculosis) - (14)
             Nope - (deSitter)
             Well, I was given the opportunity to use... - (folkert) - (12)
                 Sweating the details - (drewk)
                 Check out Logitech. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     Second on Logitech - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                         Thirded - (SpiceWare)
                         What? Still using corded mice? - (tonytib) - (1)
                             Yup - (tjsinclair)
                 Switch to graphite mode - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                     Other desktop theming options - (tjsinclair)
                     Vive la NeXT! -NT - (deSitter)
                     It's not really a matter of Color... - (folkert) - (2)
                         I entered a room where the floor was so cunningly laid... - (cforde) - (1)
                             Always one in every group!!! ;) -NT - (folkert)

Spork - the other white utensil.
80 ms