Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Meaningless statement
What the hell does that mean?

It's word salad.

-drl
New Think "Microsoft"
Where portions of IE are stuck into .dll's that would otherwise have nothing to do with IE.

As was shown at the trial.

And the reason for this was simply to ensure that removing IE could not be accomplished.
New Bad development, not a master plan
The idiocies of the execs at the trial had little to do with actual Windows development.

Windows was/is two OSes - one stemming from Win3x, the other from WinNT. IE was an afterthought. To get it to work the same way on both systems required merging the concept of browsing into the OS - in the same way that the Windows device context required merging the WM inextricably into the OS.
-drl
New There was a cultural attitude there.
Remember, I was there during the rush to get 2k out the door - before it was called Win2k.

There WAS very much an attitude of "let's tie everything together before they make us tear it apart" - along with the associated idea that the more difficult they made it to dissassemble things, the less likely it is that they would make Microsoft do it.

This philosophy was very evident in the way bugs were handled - a lot of bugs that were caused by IE integration were closed as "won't fix" without any discussion of the merits (usually .dll version dependancy errors) when the solution presented was to remove the integration.
Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.
New "DOS isn't done 'til Lotus won't run." It's cultural. QED.
New Re: merging browsing into the OS.
You seem to be suggesting that merging browser code (application code, that is) into the OS had no ulterior motive. I surmise that you're now working on an MCSE, an MCSD.Net or are employed with a Microsoft Partner. That is the only thing I can think of to explain what is, imo, your weakest post ever (at least back to 1995).

bcnu,
Mikem
New Re: merging browsing into the OS.
Not at all, in fact I'm hoping I can move everyone to desktop Linux eventually. I will not buy XP machines. If I'm forced to buy Windows it will be Windows 2000.

The truth is, the only decent UI to date technically is WPS, and that has usage issues for the hoi polloi.

MS is too dumb to have a master plan. Have you ever seen anyone actually USE Active Desktop? For all practical purposes, IE is used like any other application - in spite of it really being welded to the OS. Windows is a stupid as ever, with no well-defined line between the hardware and the UI - it's just more stable now, after 8 years of the same thing. (It amazes me that in all this time, a decent competitor has not emerged.)

-drl
New Re: A decent competitor.
To take on the beast would require money that only Gates/Balmer/Allen/etc. has. That means that one would require "venture capital". But as Stewart Alsop testified before a Senate hearing, before Win2K shipped iirc, there is no way, even in the heyday of the late 1990's that anyone with a plan for an OS could possibly get funding.

It is no coincidence that Linux emerged as the singleton competitor: if you had a better idea for an OS and you tried to play by conventional capitalist rules, your air supply was cut off before you could draw your first breath. It had to be a grass-roots, community effort outside conventional bizness.

And don't underestimate MS's intellect. There are some very smart people working for them. Misguided, yes; Greedy, yes; Hell bent on world domination and equipped with a "take no prisoners" attitude, yes; ethically and morally challenged, yes; but stupid, no.

Edit:
Actually I have seen quite a few people using "Active Desktop." When I visited a friend working in the Charlotte office of Microsoft, nearly everyone there was using it.

bcnu,
Mikem
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Jan. 24, 2003, 01:06:36 PM EST
New There is one way
Make a VM oriented OS that can run "personalities".
-drl
New Perhaps, but...
you better do it in your spare time. Because no one, and I mean no one is going to float you enough money to get it off the ground. But, I repeat myself. ;-)
New Say that again.
Windows was/is two OSes - one stemming from Win3x, the other from WinNT.
With you so far.

IE was an afterthought.
Still with you.

To get it to work the same way on both systems required merging the concept of browsing into the OS - in the same way that the Windows device context required merging the WM inextricably into the OS.
But Mozilla works on both platforms (and more) and works in exactly the same way.

Yet Mozilla isn't welded into the OS.

And Mozilla offers the same functionality as IE.

The same with Opera.

I think you're wrong on this.
New Mozilla is just an application
IE is not clearly identifiable as an application in itself - because the entire UI is built around browsing now - it has to be for Active Desktop to work.
-drl
New Ummm, incorrect.
They could have done that and still not have built it into the system .dll's.
New Okay, Mr. low-context.
HP, IBM make money off Linux: hurray for them. I make money off Linux: hurray for me. HP, IBM take that money and use it to turn Linux into something I can no longer use to make money (or in any other way): bah, humbug.

Simple enough?

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Re: Okay, Mr. low-context.
But I thought the vaunted GPL prevented that.
-drl
New Up to a point.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
     Making money off of Linux: HP and IBM - (marlowe) - (38)
         What? No applause? Cmon O My Brothers! - (deSitter) - (22)
             Oh, I cheer. Even if I didn't post. - (imric)
             Stuff it. - (admin) - (1)
                 Seconded - (Yendor)
             Re: What? No applause? Cmon O My Brothers! - (rickmoen) - (1)
                 Guess Not - did you? -NT - (deSitter)
             As long as the profit is subservient to the code, sure. - (tseliot) - (16)
                 Meaningless statement - (deSitter) - (15)
                     Think "Microsoft" - (Brandioch) - (11)
                         Bad development, not a master plan - (deSitter) - (10)
                             There was a cultural attitude there. - (inthane-chan)
                             "DOS isn't done 'til Lotus won't run." It's cultural. QED. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Re: merging browsing into the OS. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 Re: merging browsing into the OS. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                     Re: A decent competitor. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         There is one way - (deSitter) - (1)
                                             Perhaps, but... - (mmoffitt)
                             Say that again. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                 Mozilla is just an application - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Ummm, incorrect. - (Brandioch)
                     Okay, Mr. low-context. - (tseliot) - (2)
                         Re: Okay, Mr. low-context. - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Up to a point. -NT - (tseliot)
         All that money and they still cant get a decent UI onto it -NT - (tuberculosis) - (14)
             Nope - (deSitter)
             Well, I was given the opportunity to use... - (folkert) - (12)
                 Sweating the details - (drewk)
                 Check out Logitech. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     Second on Logitech - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                         Thirded - (SpiceWare)
                         What? Still using corded mice? - (tonytib) - (1)
                             Yup - (tjsinclair)
                 Switch to graphite mode - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                     Other desktop theming options - (tjsinclair)
                     Vive la NeXT! -NT - (deSitter)
                     It's not really a matter of Color... - (folkert) - (2)
                         I entered a room where the floor was so cunningly laid... - (cforde) - (1)
                             Always one in every group!!! ;) -NT - (folkert)

Write that down!
144 ms