IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes: I all too often used to use Delphi the wrong way.
That is, as if it were Visual Basic; placing too much of my code in event handlers, and not in some nice clean encapsulated objects.

Problem is, that's the easiest way to use the IDE, you just kind of slide into it... But it gets messy as your project grows.

So I *try* not to do that too much any more.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New tryin' to start sumpin mista?
That is, as if it were Visual Basic; placing too much of my code in event handlers, and not in some nice clean encapsulated objects.....
Problem is, that's the easiest way to use the IDE, you just kind of slide into it... But it gets messy as your project grows.

In VB if the code gets a little long or needs to be triggered from multiple spots, then I put it in a routine and call that routine from the event snippet.

How does OO improve on that? You are making a false dichotomy here between big event code and OOP.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Yeah, let's not get side-tracked with OO BS
Peter
Shill For Hire
New So much for participating in YOUR discussion, on YOUR terms.
Next time I seem to get an uncontrollable urge to talk to Captain Clarity as if he were actually a human being... Somebody please hit me upside the head with a cast-iron frying pan or something, OK?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Ought To Know Fucking Everything About Talking To Bryce -- He Must'a Just'a Forgot...
New Bryce Blipvert

YousesthotclubbygroupthinkOOnountaxonomyproofmetricshopcounts
functionpointsASPbullshctbOOlcrapLOCp/rdicho
tomyWAHIWANTMYMOMMYITSALLSCARYANDNEWIWANTMYXBASEBACK
whydoesntanyonelovemeanymorecustombizappsSCGUIXWindowssucksbutIveneverusedit
Ilovetablesme
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Reminds me of long, hierarchy-happy class names

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Your wording was askin' for it
"....placing too much of my code in event handlers, and not in some nice clean encapsulated objects."

You could have simply said:

"....placing too much of my code in event handlers."

French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Oh shut up, you freaking moron.
"....placing too much of my code in event handlers, and not in some nice clean encapsulated objects."
You could have simply said:

"....placing too much of my code in event handlers."
Yeah, sure.

But, hey, if we're goin to go down that road, why be *that* specific?!? I *could* have simply said: "writing bad code". But then what would be the use of posting it? If I'd done that, wouldn't *somebody* have accused me of being "vague *Vague* VAGUE!!!"...?

So no, if I were smarter, I'd have just not posted anything at all. Not in reply to *you*, anyway, you fucking idiot.

Now do the world a favour and piss off and die.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Now, now...
Would you shut up if someone asked you in such a polite way? Here comes a looong thread.
New Context
We've had three long years of this.

Bryce hates an ill-defined thing he calls "OO".

Bryce likes XBase and procedural languages of that ilk.

So far, so good, so what?

The problem is that Bryce thinks that everyone else wants to hear how inferior, overhyped, mis-sold, bloated, verbose, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, OO is by comparison to procedural methods. (Actually, to be perfectly accurate, Bryce invented something called "P/R", where the R is for "Relational", as if procedural programs talked to no other kind of database and OO programs talked to anything but). He persistently trolls comp.object as if the denizens of that newsgroup have some kind of responsibility to "prOOve" that the aforementioned ill-defined (and clearly ill-understood by Bryce) "OO" is better than his precious "P/R" and "TOP" (Table-Oriented-Programming) methods.

And he thinks they want to hear it again, and again, and again, and again.

He won't stop. It's not enough for anyone to say "I don't *care* what you use, Bryce, I don't WANT to program procedurally".

And that, coupled with the fact that he's *astoundingly* resistant to the cluestick on any subject he gets involved with, is why he receives the reaction from people like CRC that he does.

Don't be thinking this came out of the blue, because it didn't.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: Context
I've been watching this for more than three years. I am aware of all the "pleasant" properties that you mentioned. I am just trying to point out that the best way to prvent a long tirade by Bryce is not to scream "Shut Up!" but to stop talking altogether.
New Re: "p/r"
>> (Actually, to be perfectly accurate, Bryce invented something called "P/R", where the R is for "Relational", as if procedural programs talked to no other kind of database and OO programs talked to anything but). <<

Only approximately 10 to 20 percent of comp.object regulars complain about the "p/r" suite as a reference to a technique. Thus, you seem a minority.

Yes, you can connect OO to RDBMS, but they tend to overlap and fight over territory.

You make it sound like an all-or-nothing thing. You gave no specifics of how OO is helping, so why even mention OO? Too much code in events snippets is a poor practice regardless of paradigm (except maybe by some XP extremists).

>> Now do the world a favour and piss off and die. <<

Bordering on a physical threat.

(Is he like this in real life? He reminds me of a redneck in a red pickup that I flipped off once for cutting in front of me. Yosemite Pickup Sam.)

Yes: I all too often used to use Delphi the wrong way. - (CRConrad) - (16)
             tryin' to start sumpin mista? - (tablizer) - (15)
                 Let's not get too side-tracked, hmm? - (static) - (2)
                     Yeah, let's not get side-tracked with OO BS -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                         Play nice, ya hear? -NT - (pwhysall)
                 So much for participating in YOUR discussion, on YOUR terms. - (CRConrad) - (11)
                     Bryce Blipvert - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Reminds me of long, hierarchy-happy class names - (tablizer) - (1)
                             Well, I avoid them, too. - (static)
                     Your wording was askin' for it - (tablizer) - (7)
                         Re: Your wording was askin' for it - (wharris2)
                         Oh shut up, you freaking moron. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Now, now... - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                 Context - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     Re: Context - (Arkadiy)
                                     Re: "p/r" - (tablizer)
                             reply - (tablizer)
         What programmer doesn't? - (static) - (2)
             What artisan or craftsman of any kind doesn't? - (mhuber) - (1)
                 And sometimes their "garbage" is quite good - (tonytib)

Mandatory cayenne enemas would have the same effect.
129 ms