IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New *FUME*
Ok, now this just takes the cake.

My wife works as a counselor for disadvantaged kids in Tacoma. Translation: Poor parents with no prospects in life sleep around, take drugs, get drunk, hit their kids, let their boyfriends sexually molest their kids, then bring their kids into her office and ask why they're acting up, and refuse to take any responsibility themselves. She tries to give the kids something to hold onto so they don't grow up like mommy and daddy. Syphisian(sp?) in the extreme.

Well, she got this one client, who's father told her flat out that he hates Asians. He makes crude racist jokes in front of her, demeans Asians, and told her that he's okay by her because "you look like an injun, not an asian." She's really not happy with this at all.

Her agency is telling her that she has to keep with this client, despite the fact that she is Asian.

God, I just want to kick them in the nuts. I'm checking in with the state Civil Rights board to see if we can get them to reassign the case.

People are pricks.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Seven words: "Create or maintain a hostile work environment"
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Ibid.
New his phrase speaks volumes
He is overcoming his obvious prejuidice with her only because he can see she is helping, otherwise regardless if she looks injun he would have another councellor in a heartbeat, this is a reach out not a put down. Tough on your wife I know but she is in a very tough profession and has to see past the horsepuckey and reach those in need. This asshole at least is tryin g in his own twisted way.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Er, not entirely.
You see, my wife has never said to him whether or not she is asian. In fact, a lot of people mistake her as native american. The comment was slightly out of context - his son asked, "but dad, isn't she asian?" - that's what he replied back. So to him, he's justifying his own hatred of asians by denying that my wife, a decent person, is just another "good minority," not an "evil furriner."

If he's trying, he doesn't seem to be trying very hard. And it's not him that I'm really all that upset about - I'm more dissapointed in him than I am angry at him. It's my wife's SUPERVISOR, who won't let her transfer the case to somebody else, that I'm pissed at.

My wife is already at near burnout levels due to the extreme amount of shit coming out of this job - and so is just about everybody else at the agency. HMOs have ruined the mental health field for people in the entry level - they don't care about results any more, it's just about getting bodies in for a certain number of sessions, and then you're done with them, "cured" or no. Her supervisor is not helping.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New gotcha go with the above comments then
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New his phrase speaks volumes
He is overcoming his obvious prejuidice with her only because he can see she is helping, otherwise regardless if she looks injun he would have another councellor in a heartbeat, this is a reach out not a put down. Tough on your wife I know but she is in a very tough profession and has to see past the horsepuckey and reach those in need. This asshole at least is tryin g in his own twisted way.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New I'm going to have to dissent slightly.
People are pricks.

Amen, brutha.

But.

I'm going to have to tell you what I think the real solution is going to be.

Get tougher.

I know its not the sensitive thing to say. But your wife, who sounds like a very sensitive, caring person, is in a position and job that will eat you alive if she lets it.

She especially, and you, too, will have to either learn to deal with that (and that may well cause her to become less caring, less sensitive to her clients, as you can probably see in other people/is the sterotype), or get out.

I'm *not* trying to excuse this asswipe's behavior. But the very fact that he's (and his kid) there probably says something about his judgement ability(ies). I *am* saying that its not unexpected, and it won't be the last time.

You prefaced it with the kind of people you sterotype as being there (and I'm sure that not *all* of them are like that, but I understand the point). Well, yeah. That's the kind of people who are there.

If you go into a place/job/career where you'll run into a lot of people like that, you'll run into that kind of abuse.

And you've got to be able to deal with it. I can't speak for her supervisor, but I'll bet whoever gets him next will want to dump him as well. Or the person who replaces him might be just as bad. What do you do then?

She's in a position where she's going to see the dregs of society. She's there to help, best she can - well, this is what she'll have to do.

If she can't do it - and hell, I don't think I could - then its not the place for her.

Is that cynical? Yeah. Sad? Yeah.

But what do you expect? I've got a friend who wants to be a pedetrician. But she's can't handle stress/pressure. Her senior year of high school had her almost breaking down. She had to drop out of college a few weeks in as the first assignments came due. She can't handle conflict, and has lots of trouble making a decision.

But she wants to be a pediatrician... and doesn't see the impending problem there (Stress? Naw, they don't have ANY).

I've not been able to tell her what you're probably inferring from that. I don't know how. (Cause as we all know, that's kind of a high-stress, demanding of quick decisions professions, at times.) So I can hope that she does find a way to deal with it, if she's set on doing that.

I don't mean to sound heartless to you, or your wife. I say this as someone who could not deal with people who are as you describe, because I cannot tolerate people who have no lower limit to sink to, and who will bilk/ride/scam/scum the system for everything its worth. As someone who has to cheer from the sideline as people like your wife go in and do the things I can't, with the kids, trying to help, in what most likely is a futile attempt - and knowing it going in.

But I am pretty sure this won't be the last time she deals with someone like that, and the only/best way I know to deal with it, is to not be upset by it - somehow. She'll have to figure that out. Or not be so upset she can't get the job done - and disprove to the kid the father's opinion, with facts.

I respect that that puts her in an uncomfortable situation. But what is the alternative? Who will deal with *that* kid (and his father). What of the next one?

Sorry to say that, I'm sure it won't go over well.....

Addison
New Let me clear up a few things.
First off, except for one other person, the entire agency is white. If somebody wants to be a racist fuck, there are lots of people here that they can be racist fucks to without offending anybody.

Two, this agency, like all mental health agencies in Washington state, severely overworks their workers. The field has changed considerably, thanks to managed care. The old technique was to work with the kids and families until the issues were resolved, and then help them to keep those issues resolved as long as they needed the support. The new technique? You get X sessions, where X is some arbitrary number determined by your insurance. If you go for fewer than X sessions, the insurance company demands a refund of the remaining amount from the company, plus a penalty. (I know, it doesn't make sense - should be just straight remaining amount.) You cannot attend for more than your maximum benefit. In addition, the $ per patient has been cut drastically. In Ye Olde Days, a therapist might get 10-12 clients - my wife has 22, and she's on the low end in the state. Their president said the caseload might go up to 34. She is supposed to work 40 hours a week, no more, no less. She, along with the entire rest of the staff, sneak back into the building after the supervisors leave (said supervisors threaten firings to people who work over their 40, then turn their backs on it all) in order to stay close to on top of all the HMO bullshit paperwork. My wife probably works 70-80 hour weeks, and is paid for 40. The last thing she needs is some bullshit fuckhead telling her that a) she's not asian, and b) he hates all asians, and that they should all "go home."

Thanks to this bullshit, my wife is seriously considering a career change. The plan was for me to finish college, and then for her to be a stay-at-home mom, but at the rate she is going she can't last the 1 year left before I finish college, and it is killing her. While I understand your sentiment, if you think things are bad in the computer industry, it's worse in her field.
New Well, first off..
Give yer wife a hug for me.

Next - this sounds like an excellent topic for a hungry young journalist's.. getting Noticed. You have already given enough data for any normal person to see the trend, to notice one more time: The real Cancer in Murica is the morphing of the Bizness Class into "health" and other matters about which they are heart-dead as well as brain dead. These Bizness droids are Killing-faster: whatever spirit still remains after - the same Corps created the 24/7 work-day, at half the pay of yore.

Raising cases to ~ 40 + voluntary Free Time: to try to forestall an utterly broken system - is futile (but anyone can see why she would want to try.. anyway). No one can sustain overload indefinitely. *No One*, even if some are heroic in extending...

This *needs* some HD *publicity* for your wifes's sake, yours, for all the 'clients' and most of all - for All Our 'Sake's..

Maybe that area is where next attention might gain the most?

Good luck - tell the Story.

A.
New Re: Let me clear up a few things.
First off, except for one other person, the entire agency is white. If somebody wants to be a racist fuck, there are lots of people here that they can be racist fucks to without offending anybody.

I get offended when people are racist.

So, if they're white, they don't get offended?

Even aside from that, I know what you mean, but that idiot's going to offend whoever he's dealing with.

Two, this agency, like all mental health agencies in Washington state, severely overworks their workers.

Not just Washinton. And its not just managed care... its been like that forever. Its not just the managed care bugaboo.

I used to work for the S.C. Continuum of Care for Emotionally Disturbed Children - and everybody there was slammed utterly, dealing with the overload. (In this specific case, because they were more efficient than Department of Juvenile Justice, or Department of Social Services... so they expanded CoC, until the other two got enough political pull to rip it back apart, but I digress). Nothing to do with managed care.

Not that that excuses the problems with managed care. But the same overload exists elsewhere.

The last thing she needs is some bullshit fuckhead telling her that a) she's not asian, and b) he hates all asians, and that they should all "go home"

As much as I sympathise... that's why I had to dissent.

Its part of the job. Sorry for not being sensitive about it. There are certain things that have to be endured with some jobs. Teachers, social workers, cops, are usually shafted heavily, and aren't compensated for what they have to put up with.

But that doesn't change what they do have to put up with.

Thanks to this bullshit, my wife is seriously considering a career change. The plan was for me to finish college, and then for her to be a stay-at-home mom, but at the rate she is going she can't last the 1 year left before I finish college, and it is killing her. While I understand your sentiment, if you think things are bad in the computer industry, it's worse in her field.

Did I say things were bad here? Worse here? No.

I think you're getting carried away with the sentiment. And that's what I was trying to tell you - you've got to get able to handle it, too.

Or it will tear you up, too.

And yes, if its killing her, she needs to get out. Or she's got to learn to deal with it, one of the two.

Look at what you just said - that's nuts. Already its nuts. This might be the last straw.

But if its not this idiot, it'll be the idiot next week.

And *somebody* has to deal with them.... it is part of the job.

And if she can't deal with it, she should get out. I think we all agree on that.

I'm not telling you its not bad, or she should be able to deal with it. I've seen it bad, myself. I've known many social workers, and how they deal with it - I don't know.

But it boils down to being able to deal with it. many people can't.

It burns out lots of good people.

If you and she can't deal with it, get out, and get into something (more) healthy.

And good luck. :)

Addison
New I agree with Addison...

And yes, if its killing her, she needs to get out. Or she's got to learn to deal with it, one of the two.

I agree with Addison...(oh the horrors! :-)

Either change herself (to deal with it) or change jobs. Changing jobs is probably easier.

Good luck...and I do sympathise

New Except...

I'm very white and would still, somehow, not being a "minority", be extremely offended by this guy. Racism is offensive regardless of the target.

That doesn't excuse his behavior or the ***'ed up system. Get her out of the state-supported system and into private care, at least until you finish college. Then you can move down here to SoCal, where some of the social work is not as stressful. /:)
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
New Unfortunately, private isn't an option.
The way licensing is set up down here, you HAVE to do your time in a public agency for a certain number of hours, THEN you can go private.

While having to put up with somebody like this guy would be bad for everybody, I personally believe it's about an order of magnitude or two worse when the hatred in question that they have is of your ethnic background. What's burning me up is the attitude that she's running into from her superiors - not even a "here's how you deal with it" - it's just "tough shit, get back in there, we don't care."
Expand Edited by inthane-chan Aug. 24, 2001, 11:58:54 AM EDT
New How much longer
does she have to work there to go private? (Then ask yourself if it's worth it or not.)
New Something like a year.
Actually, it got resolved today - apparently the story made it's way up the ranks, and it came down from On High that she would no longer be seeing this client.

In some ways y'all are right - she is going to have to deal with people like this from time to time. What's different right now is we have too much stuff going on for her to be able to deal with this.

I'm going to school full time, and working full time. She takes care of everything else. We're both really frazzled, and don't have time (even on the weekends) to really catch up with things. That's why I was trying to help her get out from underneath having to deal with this additional stress.

As far as the current state of community-based mental healthcare, it really has taken a dramatic turn for the worse in Washington - all the clinicians she works with are really unhappy with the way things have gone since the new HMOs started running things. While money always has been tight, the new rules seem designed to drive any mental health agency out of business, and the workers are being pushed to even more insane extremes with every passing year. She is seriously considering a career change, but isn't quite sure what to do yet. It's sad - she got her Masters degree two years ago, and she already wants out.
New Good to hear
I hope this reprieve gives her the breathing room to figure out a way to cope with the next one. Good luck to you both.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Can she possibly work it around to.. 'seeing' differently?
Seeing such assholes as, simply - sick? Like excessive consumption of brightly packaged goods, racism, fascism are a clear litmus for a degree of derangement..

Like Tourette's Syndrome \ufffd - involuntary. And to a large extent IMO, the spewing of Hate in its various overt & subtle forms - IS about personal inadequacy, made 'tolerable' by picking a Jew or a ___ as an onject which is even more Fucked than (I Know) I am.

Maybe the worst form of this pestilence is in the TeeVee preachers - for they wrap their pustulence in hypocritical Judgments from on High, imagining that this highly selective 'reading' of ancient mistranslated texts: is an excuse for spreading bigotry of the usual kind. And they do so with such Beatific smarls on their pudgy faces! Pleased as Punch are they.. doing God's Work and such..

How does your wife then, (currently) deal with the Sanctimonious Ones, when they attempt to mess with her head?

(If she can handle one of These guys' little sermons.. surely she can handle a race-baiter), while laughing inside and occasionally: Out Loud! = an excellent response to palpably inane behavior... and legit too, should a *Supervisor Drone* be horrifed.. and then the reasons are set out. Step-by-step, so a Supervisor can understand.. it..

Just a thought.. sometimes one Can change an attitude - usually from a deeper understanding of an er 'issue'. What such defectives 'say'.. has of course *Nothing* whatsoever to do with: Who She Is. (We just sometimes.. forget this, y'know?)

(Besides.. if we Could eliminate asshole parents, those passing on their depravities to a new generation - there might not be enough drones left to take out the garbage, and detail the UAVs on Saturdays..)

Ashton
who is increasingly grateful, on encountering just one more civilized one.. amidst the noise of the rat-race!
     *FUME* - (inthane-chan) - (17)
         Seven words: "Create or maintain a hostile work environment" -NT - (drewk)
         Ibid. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         his phrase speaks volumes - (boxley) - (2)
             Er, not entirely. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 gotcha go with the above comments then -NT - (boxley)
         his phrase speaks volumes - (boxley)
         I'm going to have to dissent slightly. - (addison) - (10)
             Let me clear up a few things. - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                 Well, first off.. - (Ashton)
                 Re: Let me clear up a few things. - (addison) - (1)
                     I agree with Addison... - (Simon_Jester)
                 Except... - (tseliot) - (5)
                     Unfortunately, private isn't an option. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                         How much longer - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                             Something like a year. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Good to hear - (drewk)
                         Can she possibly work it around to.. 'seeing' differently? - (Ashton)

I was trying to read your bio when it got chucked clear off the screen by a Jimmy Dean sausage pancake.
74 ms