IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Truth went up in the blast - but I agree that
The group he runs is dangerous and if not curbed somehow, will lead to massive instability in the region.

I sure as s*** don't want OBL's Andalusian fantasy on the northern tip of Australia. Even though my lot are in the minority in the region, I am quite happy to be selfish, a lot of other Aussies share this view. At least we are honest about it.

The blast has had these immediate effects ...

1) Stopped the to'ing & fro'ing of the Indonesian govt re clamping down on Islamic extremeists (the govt was always too fearful of a backlash that would wipe them out if they clamped down - the sight of a rampaging Indonesian mob would scare anyone (well maybe not a Kopassus man).

2) Created the clear impression that al-Qaeda are in Indonesia in force

3) Branded this local 'al-Qaeda' related org as filty muderous bastards (no matter who set & fired the bomb)

4) Has reversed the low Australian support for Howard's support of Bush's unilateral 'coalition'

5) Has brought terror to the hearts of Aussies and Balinese

6) Has sent shockwaves through SE Asia (Indonesian stock market nose dived) - Bali tourism will die for quite a while (airlines are already cutting back their Bali flights as tourists scarper). Fiji is named as the country that may take up the slack & in Australia there is a view that many Aussies will now holiday & spend within Australia & thus the country's economy will benefit significantly.

I still will argue the case that on the surface, it made no sense whatsoever for Abu Bakar to initiate a horrific attack that was so clearly going to backfire to the point of self destruction for him and his org and their dreams. This would be like me deciding to shoot you by concealing the gun behind my back & firing through myself to get you. As stupid as you want to call the guy, I don't believe he is that stupid. I think the case that says he was so is really the stupid part of the discussion.

But we will all believe what we want to & select the facts we find most palatable (even when the facts don't really exist). I already believe we will only ever be given enough circumstantial evidence to point an accusing finger at these people but never a smoking gun. Despite my thoughts on the Bali blast - I will be more than happy to see Abu Bakar's Jemaah Islamiah and their extreme behaviour, slapped down heavily (these were the bastards I mentioned in other posts, who would go around attacking bars & clubs in Java & threatening to kill Americans). Their idiot behaviour has become the weapon their enemies can manipulate against them to destroy them. But, I would never condone any scenario that might justify a covert op on one's own, in order to manipulate resentment against others.

So, we at least are sure to agree that This guy & his group need to be dealt with. My concern is how it might have been achieved.

Cheers

Doug
Collapse Edited by dmarker2 Oct. 15, 2002, 09:57:59 AM EDT
Re: Truth went up in the blast - but I agree that

The group he runs is dangerous and if not curbed somehow, will lead to massive instability in the region.

I sure as s*** don't want OBL's Andalusian fantasy on the northern tip of Australia. Even though my lot are in the minority in the region, I am quite happy to be selfish, a lot of other Aussies share this view. At least we are honest about it.

The blast has had these immediate effects ...

1) Stopped the to'ing & fro'ing of the Indonesian govt re clamping down on Islamic extremeists (the govt was always too fearful of a backlash that would wipe them out if they clamed down - the sight of a rampaging Indonesian mob would scare anyone, (well maybe not a Kopassus man).

2) Created the clear impression that al-Qaeda are in Indonesia in force

3) Branded al-Qaeda as filty muderous bastards (no matter who set & fired the bomb)

4) Has reversed the low Australian support for Howard's support of Bush's unilateral 'coalition'

5) Has brought terror to the hearts of Aussies and Balinese

6) Has sent shockwaves through SE Asia (Indonesian stock market nose dived)

I still will argue the case that on the surface, it made no sense whatsoever for him to initiate a horrific attack the was so clearly going to backfire to the point of self destruction. This would be like me deciding to shoot you by concealing the gun behind my back & firing through myself to get you. As stupid as you want to call the guy, I don't believe he is that stupid. I think the case that says he was so is really the stupid part of the discussion.

But we will all believe what we want to & select the facts we find most palatable (even when the facts don't really exist). I already believe we will only ever be given enough circumstantial evidence to point an accusing finger at these people but never a smoking gun.

We at least are sure to agree that This guy & his group need to be dealt with. My concern is how it might have been achieved.

Cheers

Doug
     BALI: The early (in print) theories - from SCMP - (dmarker2) - (29)
         Re: BALI: The early (in print) theories - from SCMP - (deSitter) - (3)
             Re: BALI: The early (in print) theories - from SCMP - (dmarker2) - (2)
                 Understood - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Re: These snippets paint part of the Kopassus picture - (dmarker2)
         Little Indonesian news coverage here ever, - (Ashton) - (24)
             Re: US spin doctors already working on this one - (dmarker2) - (23)
                 Re: Head of Muslim group accuess foreigners of blast - (dmarker2) - (5)
                     Doug that is the same cleric who said - (boxley) - (4)
                         Re: Truth went up in the blast - but I agree that - (dmarker2)
                         Re: You may have a point re Bashir the Bullshitter - (dmarker2) - (2)
                             even better the lascars are disbanding - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Re: The more I read of Abu Bakar Bashir's Bashers ... - (dmarker)
                 Okla. City - (deSitter)
                 Re: CIA says it had advance notice - Oz PM says 'what?' - (dmarker2) - (3)
                     Us notified Indonesia and Australia at many levels - (admin) - (2)
                         Re: That is now proving true - Oz PM in deep shit !!! - (dmarker2) - (1)
                             Don't feel too bad... - (Simon_Jester)
                 More details emerging - military C4 explosives cited - (dmarker2) - (11)
                     Reality check - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                         Re: Simple ... - (dmarker2) - (8)
                             the guy that built the bomb was ex Indonesian airforce - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Re: Built the bomb ? - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                     Murkie to the max but lets wargame - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Re: That is downright devious -- clever - (dmarker2)
                             Hold on - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                 What would constitute proof hmm - (boxley) - (2)
                                     That is exactly the problem - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                         Re: The best proof is ??? - (dmarker2)
                     Similar event in the Philippines - (a6l6e6x)

At times I feel uncomfortably sure that I was a sysadmin by trade.
54 ms