IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ...
our company for the past year. Also Mandrake & one other distro (just to push it).

Our RedHat runs very well & achieves exactly the purpose intended. Even with a web server & disk sharing.

I run it on a DELL notebook with 850 Mhz PIII & 512 MB ram. I don't try to run other apps at the same time. But we also run it on a DELL server with 3GB RAM, it runs exceptionally well ???. At home I have VPC on a 1.4GHZ P4 with 512MB RAM. That works very well also ???.

What configs have you tried VPC with and also what version of VPC 4.0?, 4.3? - ???

Have you tried VPC 5.0 ??? - if no then I recommend you do - if yes, what was your problem ???

Cheers

Doug

#1 On Friday I installed RedHat 8.0 under VPC 5 - that is pretty 'modern' <grin>
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Oct. 6, 2002, 11:14:54 AM EDT
VirtualPC 4.3 on Windows 2000 on a Athlon 1.2GHz w/ 640MB RAM.

Running Redhat 7.1 and 7.2

CLI was fine. I've used it to run Apache and PostgreSQL and some other stuff.

It is fast enough to check out the desktop environments and see what new features were to be had, but for day-to-day use they were far from fast enough IMO.

I guess it all comes to our respective definitions of "runs well".

As for VPC 5.0, well it seems I've already downloaded the updater and never installed it :)

I'll get back to you with how things improve from that.
--
Chris Altmann
New Ok, that's frightening (re: VPC 5.0)
GNOME 2 on Redhat 7.2 is much faster now. I'd actually say it is day-to-day useable.

Funny thing is, the Windows XP eye-candy under VPC 5.0 isn't all that bad either. Nowhere near as bad as when I first tried it under VPC 4.3.

OS/2 is pretty snappy as well.

I'll shut up now :)
--
Chris Altmann

VPC 5 has a new vitual motherboard & bios - they claim it runs much faster than 4.x - so far I agree.

You can migrate from 4.3 to 5 but the OS will want to reconfigure the hardware (XP may want you to reregister <grin).

Cheers

Doug

(PS I wouldn't use it in a normal production environment - only ever use VPC to test out installs & the various features prior to deciding a final install. But one app I run under VPC that alone makes it worth its weight in gold, is that I still need to compile MF Cobol programs & that requires a printer port dongle & also I can only get the ver of MF Cobol I have running under Win NT - it all works well under VPC.)
     A good read - Connectix VPC guide slams Windows/XP - (dmarker2) - (12)
         Re: A good read - Connectix VPC guide slams Windows/XP - (andread) - (11)
             Re: We must have read different documents - (dmarker2) - (10)
                 Try running a "modern" Linux desktop under VPC - (altmann) - (5)
                     OS/2 under VPC - (jake123)
                     Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ... - (dmarker2) - (3)
                         Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ... - (altmann) - (2)
                             Ok, that's frightening (re: VPC 5.0) - (altmann)
                             Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ... - (dmarker2)
                 Re: We must have read different documents - (andread) - (3)
                     Re: We must have read different documents - (dmarker2) - (2)
                         Re: We must have read different documents - (andread) - (1)
                             Re: We must have read different documents - (dmarker2)

This is your brain on bad interior design. Any questions?
92 ms