IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A good read - Connectix VPC guide slams Windows/XP
[link|http://www.connectix.com/downloadcenter/pdf/OptimizingWinXPProandHome.pdf|Tuning WinXP Home & Pro for Virtual PC - Guide]

The above guide in the very first paragrah says that all the "wonderful"* extras that give XP is "wonderful"* look and feel - degrade the OS esp when compared to Windows2000.

The guide then advises how to turn off all the bloatware to get decent performance for WindowsXP.

* (me quoting Bill Gates)

Cheers

Doug Marker
New Re: A good read - Connectix VPC guide slams Windows/XP
actually that file doesn't say that
it says that their program works better with 2K than XP

to which one might say

so?

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Re: We must have read different documents

The one I read *clearly* stated that WindowsXP has a lot of extras that may make it look pretty but that make it run badly & that turning many of the se WinXP features off improves performance.

Now how does this contradict my original more colorful way of saying that XP is bloated ???

Cheers

Doug
New Try running a "modern" Linux desktop under VPC
You'll be fumbling to turn off as much eye-candy as possible, assuming you find it useable at all. OK for CLI stuff though.

OS/2 isn't too snappy (or stable) on VPC either.

For that matter, try Mac OS X on an underpowered machine. Too bad you can't just "turn off" Aqua.
--
Chris Altmann
New OS/2 under VPC

You'll want to go to [link|http:/www.innotek.de|Innotek] and get their OS/2 addon for VPC for Windows. Innotek and Connectix have worked together to both bring VPC to OS/2 and to bring OS/2 to VPC as a guest. I'm expecting to get VPC for OS/2 sometime in the next month or so, myself...

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
* Jack Troughton jake at consultron.ca *
* [link|http://consultron.ca |[link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]] irc.ecomstation.ca *
* Laval Qu\ufffdbec Canada [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *
-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ...
our company for the past year. Also Mandrake & one other distro (just to push it).

Our RedHat runs very well & achieves exactly the purpose intended. Even with a web server & disk sharing.

I run it on a DELL notebook with 850 Mhz PIII & 512 MB ram. I don't try to run other apps at the same time. But we also run it on a DELL server with 3GB RAM, it runs exceptionally well ???. At home I have VPC on a 1.4GHZ P4 with 512MB RAM. That works very well also ???.

What configs have you tried VPC with and also what version of VPC 4.0?, 4.3? - ???

Have you tried VPC 5.0 ??? - if no then I recommend you do - if yes, what was your problem ???

Cheers

Doug

#1 On Friday I installed RedHat 8.0 under VPC 5 - that is pretty 'modern' <grin>
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Oct. 6, 2002, 11:14:54 AM EDT
VirtualPC 4.3 on Windows 2000 on a Athlon 1.2GHz w/ 640MB RAM.

Running Redhat 7.1 and 7.2

CLI was fine. I've used it to run Apache and PostgreSQL and some other stuff.

It is fast enough to check out the desktop environments and see what new features were to be had, but for day-to-day use they were far from fast enough IMO.

I guess it all comes to our respective definitions of "runs well".

As for VPC 5.0, well it seems I've already downloaded the updater and never installed it :)

I'll get back to you with how things improve from that.
--
Chris Altmann
New Ok, that's frightening (re: VPC 5.0)
GNOME 2 on Redhat 7.2 is much faster now. I'd actually say it is day-to-day useable.

Funny thing is, the Windows XP eye-candy under VPC 5.0 isn't all that bad either. Nowhere near as bad as when I first tried it under VPC 4.3.

OS/2 is pretty snappy as well.

I'll shut up now :)
--
Chris Altmann

VPC 5 has a new vitual motherboard & bios - they claim it runs much faster than 4.x - so far I agree.

You can migrate from 4.3 to 5 but the OS will want to reconfigure the hardware (XP may want you to reregister <grin).

Cheers

Doug

(PS I wouldn't use it in a normal production environment - only ever use VPC to test out installs & the various features prior to deciding a final install. But one app I run under VPC that alone makes it worth its weight in gold, is that I still need to compile MF Cobol programs & that requires a printer port dongle & also I can only get the ver of MF Cobol I have running under Win NT - it all works well under VPC.)
Here's the quote:

When run in Virtual PC however, these visual enhancements affect the overall
feel and performance of the operating system \ufffd especially when compared to a Windows 2000 operating system.

It says with VPC

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET

Yes, And the document explains that these features chew up cycles and and load & that is about as good a write up on bloatware as I have seen.

I just happen to have a 867mhz Transmeta powered notebook that drops to 350 mhz when on battery - this machine is running WinXP - after reading that VPC writeup I applied all their suggestions to my WinXP notebook & noticed such an improvement that I happily posted the original comment - so I am speaking from practical experience - what are you speaking from ???

Cheers

Doug
So you weren't referring to the article but rather your personal experience
that is OK with me
I was saying that the article did not support your claim
To me, so-called bloat is in the mind of the beholder
will my car get more MPG if I don't use the AC on hot days
sure it will
is AC necessary
no
will my car pull less power from its elecrtical system if I refrain from playing music when I drive
sure
is car stereo necessary
no

like MS would say
what about the user experience
yours is valid but it may not be typical
the whole GUI is unnecesary if you want to call it bloat (on any system)

on a semi-related issue, I hate laptops and all laptop manufacturers
they claim to sell portable computers and advertize them as 1 GHz and then they run at 400 MHz if you're lucky

A

Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET

It is pretty usual for my posts to be based on real world experience.
I posted that article because it pointed out the bloat & I was able to prove it to myself thus giving me the confidence to post it.

Posting based on practical experience is highly recommended.

Cheers

Doug
     A good read - Connectix VPC guide slams Windows/XP - (dmarker2) - (12)
         Re: A good read - Connectix VPC guide slams Windows/XP - (andread) - (11)
             Re: We must have read different documents - (dmarker2) - (10)
                 Try running a "modern" Linux desktop under VPC - (altmann) - (5)
                     OS/2 under VPC - (jake123)
                     Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ... - (dmarker2) - (3)
                         Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ... - (altmann) - (2)
                             Ok, that's frightening (re: VPC 5.0) - (altmann)
                             Re: I have been demonstrating RedHat 7.2 under VPC for ... - (dmarker2)
                 Re: We must have read different documents - (andread) - (3)
                     Re: We must have read different documents - (dmarker2) - (2)
                         Re: We must have read different documents - (andread) - (1)
                             Re: We must have read different documents - (dmarker2)

What you're selling, I do not need.
53 ms