What I want to say here is a statement.

It comes from someone who loves Texas and as an Australian sees both places interwoven in history and intent even though Texas has a much more warlike history.

In 1990 I did what in my eyes all Americans should do - visited the Alamo, was overawed by the simplicity but reverential power of that place. Moslems are supposed to pay a once in a lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca - Americans *should* pay a once in a lifetime pilgrimage to San Antonio.

Why???
- Moslems know why they do it!.
- To understand what is precious in the US and what is important to both life & liberty. The Alamo does it so much more effectively than any pilgrimage to Philadelphia to see the liberty bell, or to Washington's Lincoln memorial. The Alamo in its simple reconstruction brings home to the real American (and some of us non Americans who feel the significance) what at first were a brave 145 then with reinforcements the famous 189 who achieved great worldwide glory knowing that the outcome for them was to be death but no dishonour.

I as a non-American, can easily today cry for what those men fought for and what they achieved posthumoustly for the concepts that they so clearly saw of of liberty, feedom and integrity. They backed Travis & Bowie knowing they would be put to the sword by Santa Ana's men. But they so believed in what they were fighting for.

But from that great sacrifice we move to a Texan who has his nose up the backside of warmongers who are intent on fermenting war for reasons only they completely understand.Bush junior may well enjoy a high level of popularity - that is partly because so few Americans realise the extent to which they are being misled. Bush jnr may well one day be impeached, on the other hand he may just get away with it.

Doug Marker

#2 - toned this post down a lot as on refelection as I can't really claim that I know what is best for the US or the world, am afterall, just an observer. Bush & his advisors may well be grappling with complex issues to do with our long term survival and may have insights we don't (just wish I could see them). The fact that even his father appears to be trying to counter the war talk tells me that others are also concerned about this admin's tactics. Have posted another sep post in one of the threads following this one that attempts to offer a rationalisation as to why Bush wants control of Iraq. Am still 100% convinced that they will find a pretext & invade. The argument here is the untruths being told in order to justify the ends.