IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Amusingly...
SuSE installed flawlessly and runs great on this dual P4 here -- 3D hardware acceleration and everything.

Every OS has its problems with hardware detect -- they're just different with every incarnation.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Amusingly...
I think it's something to do with SpeedStep (this is a mobile P4) but can't say for certain. Everything else works fine, other than the winmodem.

This is not the usual kind of attackable hardware problem. There are no errors to report - nice happy boot, but when you get there, no keyboard as often as not. You can still telnet in and shut it down, but that's obviously no solution.

-drl
New The point is:
I've seen the same sort of thing often enough under Windows.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Speedstep
Disable it in the BIOS.

I had same on a PIII, it was being triggered by a flakey power supply (physical attachment was a solder joint to the mobo, which is a different gripe). Repeated, short-cycle toggling of speedstep status would lock the box hard. Speedstep's a mistake. Turn it off.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.

Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.
[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/...a_alert.html]]
New Re: Speedstep
I did everything possible in BIOS including turning off all power management of any kind (not that you can wield a laptop in that state in any case). I'm still shocked to encounter something as basic as a keyboard problem at this late stage. There is some hope in that this is a very new machine and the BIOS could get updated. I'm not entirely giving up on it. Just really really peeved.
-drl
     Happy Accident - (deSitter) - (55)
         How fast we forget - (ben_tilly)
         Hey hey, we're Adobe! - (orion) - (53)
             Re: Hey hey, we're Adobe! - (deSitter) - (52)
                 Quark Doomsday Clock - (orion) - (1)
                     Re: Quark Doomsday Clock - (deSitter)
                 Glad you don't care what I think - (ben_tilly) - (49)
                     Re: Glad you don't care what I think - (deSitter) - (48)
                         You rang??? - (folkert) - (44)
                             Re: You rang??? - (deSitter) - (43)
                                 Re: You're wrong - (CRConrad) - (42)
                                     Re: You're wrong - (deSitter) - (41)
                                         Sorry, but now you're REALLY wrong! - (CRConrad) - (40)
                                             Don't Make It Worse - (deSitter) - (39)
                                                 Best C++ for Windows - (orion) - (37)
                                                     Minor correction - (ChrisR)
                                                     Gimme Some Credit - (deSitter) - (35)
                                                         Is unix meant to be a personal OS - (boxley) - (8)
                                                             NOW... NOW... - (folkert)
                                                             Well - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                                 Utter Bollocks. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                     Re: Utter Bollocks. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                         Righty ho. - (pwhysall)
                                                                 Linux is improving - (orion) - (2)
                                                                     Re: Linux is improving - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                         One word for you, a very powerful one at that. - (orion)
                                                         Utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, UTTER freaking Bollocks. - (CRConrad) - (25)
                                                             Re: Utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, UTTER freaking - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                 exactamente its a tool not a fscking religion!!!!! -NT - (boxley)
                                                             Re: Utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, UTTER freaking - (deSitter) - (17)
                                                                 Ease of use . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
                                                                     Heh - (deSitter) - (15)
                                                                         I've found... - (bepatient) - (14)
                                                                             Right - (deSitter) - (13)
                                                                                 That could be one of the issues... - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                                     Could very well be that Jimmy, - (orion) - (11)
                                                                                         Missed Point - (deSitter) - (10)
                                                                                             Re: Missed Point - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                 Re: Missed Point - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                                                     Amen, brother! - (imric)
                                                                                                     You've hit it. - (bepatient)
                                                                                                 Amusingly... - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                     Re: Amusingly... - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                                         The point is: - (admin)
                                                                                                         Speedstep - (kmself) - (1)
                                                                                                             Re: Speedstep - (deSitter)
                                                                                             Did you contact SuSE? - (orion)
                                                             Nevermind the Bollocks. - (orion) - (4)
                                                                 Bollocks, by your own words: By then, as you say... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                     What does version numbers have to do with anything? - (orion)
                                                                 Incorrect - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                     Gotta disagree, there. - (imric)
                                                 I'm not - YOU are "making it worse", yourself! - (CRConrad)
                         Technically you are right - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             So you will be glad to read: - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Yes, I did like that - (ben_tilly)

YOU are gonna lecture ME on 'clear prose'?
82 ms