IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Nice smile but a bit hairy under the armpits ...
Hmmmmm

She kinda looks a bit cheap - y'know the type that will do anything for peanuts !!

and, I'll be the does one hell of a lot of monkeying around & not always behind your back !!!

Cheers Doug

PS Who was she aping when they took her mug shot?

New Thine vision has been distorted
Now then.. let's not be a speciesist.. none of her kind has yet:

detonated a bomb; vanilla, chocolate or nuke.
selected a Village Idiot to run the tribe.
invented a Pinto w/ gas tank used as bumper.
composed a single Ad-jingle to induce madness.
crapped-up her *own* nest, for fun & profit
... ...

So when I look at her serene visage, I see that

beauty

which radiates from the uncorrupted :-\ufffd
New Only through lack of opportunity
For instance chimps are [link|http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,335949,00.html|documented wife-beaters].

What is noteworthy is not the nastiness or violence. It is the foresight of using a stick to do it apparently specifically because it hurts worse but won't kill the victim.

Cheers,
Ben
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (1930-2002)
New Yes - but recall that Chimps are the closest apes - to Us.
Now if chimps had had access to the libraries We have had, for a couple thousand years (?) do we want to imagine that they learn just as slowly, too? (The signing chimps appear to learn rather quickly, but we have only a few years of experience - hardly enough to generalize for the species)

Instead I'll go with the song from South Pacific, "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught (to Hate)" - hatred appears endemic to homo-sap, but not to chimps or other apes: wife-beating is about tribal hierarchy and not hate, IMhO. Defense against other groups might evoke something like what we call hate -?- who can say.

(Of course it's possible that all hominids were defective! not just us - but we do the 'measuring', don't we?)

Ashton
New And they tried to sue over that . .
. . but found they had no lawyers. Since the Bar has no standing in Chimp courts, they couldn't use human lawyers, so the whole thing had to be dropped.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Actually genetically not
The bonobo wins, but we don't like admitting the relationship.

Chimps and bonobos are the same relationship to us, but bonobos have not changed environments and so have not evolved as much as chimps. Therefore genetically we are slightly closer to bonobos than chimps.

Cheers,
Ben
New OTOH, I think it's only in English that "the bonobo"...
...is even regarded as anything other than a bonobo chimpanzee -- i.e, a mere sub-species of the chimp species.

So how important can that distinction be?
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New Not only in English
Even in English they are often called the "pygmy chimp", but biologists have classified them as a separate species since the 1920s, and such scientific classifications are language-independent.

Cheers,
Ben
New Classifications
I thought the whole system was 'suspect',
since it relies far more on observation
than genetic testing, and that over the
next 'x' years, it would be revamped.
New It seems reliable
Yes, [link|http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/Fossil_Halls/cladistics.html|cladistics] relies far more on observation than genetic testing. But that is because observation is the simplest (and until recently the best) tool we had for studying the underlying evolutionary history.

Given that the evolutionary history is believed to have happened, and the tool is fairly effective, we would expect its conclusions to be generally backed up by any improved tools for analysis. And so it has proven with genetic clocks (the most widely used of which is mitochondrial DNA) generally agreeing with existing conclusions. (There are disagreements on details of course - but then again we never expected all of our best answers to be correct.)

However there always has been and will continue for the forseeable future to be some churn in the classifications. Part of that is the slow correction of historical mistakes. (One wonders when they will officially change the name of homo sapiens. We are a great ape, more closely related to the chimpanzee than either of us is to the gorilla.) But part of it is that the world resists convenient classifications.

What is generally not understood except by scientists - and is utterly rejected by uninformed creationists (sorry Wade, this is accurate) - is that the concept of a species is rather vague. People commonly think that two animals are the same species if and only if they can interbreed and have fertile offspring. With obvious caveats about gender. Yet they then turn around and accept that a Great Dane and a Chihuahua are both dogs despite obvious anatomical difficulties in interbreeding. (Let us not get into the troubles you have when there are other modes of reproduction, as happens with plants and bacteria.)

Before you stop and say that this is an artificial example, tell me what we should do with the [link|http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/ring_species.html|herring gull]. That isn't human interference. There are two species in England. Without the rest of the ring we would think there nothing interesting about that. But we have a complete living chain between these two species. Somewhere between them we have to decide what we are calling different subspecies, and species. But any such division is necessarily an artificial human imposition.

A similar situation exists with languages. It is obvious that French and Italian are different languages, and both are different from Latin. But both once were Latin. At what point do you say that the languages separated? At what point do you say that they stopped being Latin? Was there a moment where at one point people spoke Latin and the next French? Was there a moment where France and Italy were joined by a common language and then were divided? Of course not!

So the problem is this. We may agree that the existence of evening does not mean that day is the same as night. However knowing and agreeing to this does not assist us in agreeing where in the evening to draw the demarcation. And over time biologists will change their minds about what demarcations to draw where and why, and the exact classifications of species and subspecies will remain in flux if for no other reason than that we need to divide the placement of different labels when no clean division exists.

Cheers,
Ben
New For what are you apologising?
    What is generally not understood except by scientists - and is utterly rejected by uninformed creationists (sorry Wade, this is accurate) - is that the concept of a species is rather vague.

Um. How shall I put this? You were expecting me to disagree? I already knew this. "uninformed creationists"? I don't recall defending those, though I can imagine you may have thought otherwise. You may remember me refusing to argue with you because I didn't think I knew the topic well enough.

I was intruiged when I first heard about the problems with the way organisms are named (fauna and flora). Especially when it was noted that the original structure was biologically incorrect. But it's convenient because everyone knows it and changing it would be Very Hard.

Wade, who has been implicated in a discussion he was only going to watch.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New For characterizing creationists as uninformed
New Ah, thanks. Now if only you wouldn't persist in showing me..
...to be fifty years out of date, all the time!

(Alas, I suppose for that to happen, I'd have to _not be_ fifty years out of date all the time... Heh! :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New Umm....
That one was closer to 80 years out of date! :-P

Cheers,
Ben
New Bah - what's a single generation, between friends? ;^)
New I dare you...
to try that reasoning out with the girls at your local highschool. (Karsten, stop waving your hand around. I know that you would...)

Cheers,
Ben
New Eeeuuuuwww! Yucky!
(Yes, that goes for himSelf too.)
   Christian R. Conrad
New In Thai, it is the Ling.
They have no other word for primates, besides "King Kong" a term adopted by the Thai people in 1977, when the US sent them the "King Kong 77" movie. So large Ling or Ling like creatures are called "King Kongs". When my wife saw "Star Trek: TNG" she called the Klingons as "King Kongs" because of their hair, beards, and Ling-like appearances and temperment. :)

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
     Shocking: Drivers License info on the web! - (Ashton) - (24)
         You have a strange taste in girlfriends... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (19)
             You didn't look up a name, ____now did you (?)______:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton) - (18)
                 Re: Nice smile but a bit hairy under the armpits ... - (dmarker2) - (17)
                     Thine vision has been distorted - (Ashton) - (16)
                         Only through lack of opportunity - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                             Yes - but recall that Chimps are the closest apes - to Us. - (Ashton) - (14)
                                 And they tried to sue over that . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Actually genetically not - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                     OTOH, I think it's only in English that "the bonobo"... - (CRConrad) - (11)
                                         Not only in English - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                             Classifications - (broomberg) - (3)
                                                 It seems reliable - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     For what are you apologising? - (static) - (1)
                                                         For characterizing creationists as uninformed -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                             Ah, thanks. Now if only you wouldn't persist in showing me.. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                 Umm.... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                     Bah - what's a single generation, between friends? ;^) -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                         I dare you... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                             Eeeuuuuwww! Yucky! - (CRConrad)
                                         In Thai, it is the Ling. - (orion)
         Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         I agree with Ben..... -NT - (slugbug)
         Yabut ... How many States do this? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             ObRobinWilliams - (inthane-chan)

They had, like, laser guns that turned people into monkeys. What the hell is that?
139 ms