IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And the almost-completed cover
Link (not embedded image, which doesn’t play nice with IWT) here. I’m hoping to get the thing to the vanity press by mid-month.

cordially,

Edit: The thing went off today. Watch this space.
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 9, 2023, 07:46:00 PM EDT
New Went off? Well that's a bit rushed, I hadn't sent you the typos I found...
New Oh, I always send for a proof copy…
because errors and omissions positively jump off the printed page for me even after surviving repeated scrutiny onscreen. I’d already weeded out some typos, repetitions and other infelicities before sending it on, but your gimlet-eyed review is always welcome.

cordially,
New Mail to ... ?
New Re: Mail to ... ?
Sorry, I was unclear. I have the proof copy mailed to me so that I can weed out the bad stuff.

cordially,
New That "gimlet-eyed review" (all of four^Wthree possible typos); where to. Here?
Expand Edited by CRConrad April 15, 2023, 10:18:49 AM EDT
New Re: That "gimlet-eyed review" (all of four^Wthree possible typos); where to. Here?
Here, sure. I’m not averse to having these pointed out among friends (I obviously misunderstood you earlier).

cordially,
New So WTF _is_ a gimlet innafirstplace? Had to look it up...
Aha, the little hand-drill. ('Cause the expression is hardly gonna be referring to the drink, now is it...) Yeah, I've used those. Once upon a long-ago.

Typo(e?)s

Henry V: Branaugh’s “Crispin” speech -- Branagh, no u.

Melancholia: “Kirstin Dunst and Charlotte Gainsborough portray well-heeled (and round-heeled in Kirstin’s case)...” -- Kirsten, Gainsbourg, Kirsten’s.

Star Trek The Next Generation: “...this segmant of the franchise” -- SegmEnt?

Hamlet: “why Steadman is the headliner here” -- but the picture caption says Edward Hopper.

Misc notes

Lawrence of Arabia -- “Steadman” somehow makes it look more like the recent _Dune_, IMO.

The Seventh Seal:
- Weird bandages on the whiteface. Is Death the Mummy?
- Andrew Wyeth has von Sydow playing himself? One of whom in weirdly anachronistic trench coat.
- The one guy big enough at the time to be on the poster, but never mentioned in (at least the foreign) reviews, is the curly-haired black square on the lower left of the original poster, Nils Poppe. He never became a big international star like von Sydow, but he was pretty huge in Sweden for... Ages. Epochs. Eons. i.e, as long as von Sydow. Didn't he play a jester or something in the film? Fitting, because his output was overwhelmingly on the comedic side.

Metropolis -- “Piss”?!? Naughty AI!

Frankenstein -- Who is Andrew Wyeth's face? Bit of Daniel Craig, perhaps some Tommy Lee Jones... But there is one guy with that exact face, isn't there?

Jekyll and Hyde: Steadman’s Hyde is Marty Feldman? Maybe a little, but isn't it more Jack Nicholson's Joker?

Hamlet: “Melancholy Dane looks like the young Gary Oldman in The Fifth Element” -- or in Léon: The Professional. Oh well, only a few years apart.

Romeo and Juliet -- featuring Ali McGraw and Mark Hamill?

Die Hard -- Tiny bit of Keanu Reeves in that Alan Rickman?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: “noticeable bias toward the character’s more recent embodiment in Gary Oldman” -- Or, for some reason, Bill Nighy again?

African Queen: “I’m gonna go out on a limb here and assert that none of these women could be mistaken for Kate Hepburn” -- Or for a small steamboat.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Re: So WTF _is_ a gimlet innafirstplace? Had to look it up...
Thanx. I’ll go weeding these in conjunction with the early “proof” copy due today. I’ve already decided to swap a couple of images.

cordially,
New gimlet is what yer eyes look like the next day after imbibing a few of them
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New about the images
I know what you mean about the Wyeth Frankenstein. I can’t place the visage either, but I feel the itch. And what about Edward Hopper’s version, which didn’t make the book? John Wayne, maybe? Steadman’s Jekyll has a bit of Gene Wilder about him. As to Léon: The Professional, I think Steadman’s Henry V on p. 65 comes a bit closer. I’ve credited your quip re The African Queen on p. 106, and have also given you a shout-out on the copyright page. The updated PDF, incorporating corrections and with some image swaps/substitutions/enhancements, is parked at the same old place (“Oh, you must mean the old Same place!” —Firesign Theatre).

cordially,
New Oh, geez, you shouldn't have! *Blushes coquettishly* (Of course you should.)
A bit overwhelming for that little, but thanks!
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Your site isn't https
Hence the broken image here, which is https, so naturally Chrome is protecting everyone from Teh H4ck3r5 because who else would embed a non-SSL image?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     The next book of film posters - (rcareaga) - (14)
         Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. Let us know when it's published. -NT - (Another Scott) - (13)
             And the almost-completed cover - (rcareaga) - (12)
                 Went off? Well that's a bit rushed, I hadn't sent you the typos I found... -NT - (CRConrad) - (10)
                     Oh, I always send for a proof copy… - (rcareaga) - (9)
                         Mail to ... ? -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
                             Re: Mail to ... ? - (rcareaga) - (7)
                                 That "gimlet-eyed review" (all of four^Wthree possible typos); where to. Here? -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                     Re: That "gimlet-eyed review" (all of four^Wthree possible typos); where to. Here? - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                         So WTF _is_ a gimlet innafirstplace? Had to look it up... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                             Re: So WTF _is_ a gimlet innafirstplace? Had to look it up... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                 gimlet is what yer eyes look like the next day after imbibing a few of them -NT - (boxley)
                                             about the images - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                 Oh, geez, you shouldn't have! *Blushes coquettishly* (Of course you should.) - (CRConrad)
                 Your site isn't https - (malraux)

Minimal oversight is seen as more expensive and odious than frequent disaster.
103 ms