IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Lots of commonality!
One of my first temp jobs after grad school was working for a small company in Dayton that sold banking software (a clone of NCR's Banker80, I think) that ran on 286s. I was hired to be a typist because I knew WordPerfect. They then wanted me to work on some new fangled thing called "hypertext" for their Help system. It was kind of a disaster because they wanted me to translate the jargon into English as well as do the data entry and link-making. It was ungodly slow on a 286 - "that's Ok, we'll just sell them faster computers!". Someone else took it over after I flailed around at it for a week or so - I don't know if they ever made anything useful with it.

I bought my first computer of my very own a few years later - a Gateway 486/25 SCSI system that was $4000. And about $1000 cheaper 6 months later. :-/ Put a 486/66 in it a year or two later.

My dad got me a Sinclair ZX something or other when I was a kid, but I never could see the point of it. I mean it was amazing for $99 or whatever it was, but what could it do that was actually interesting? Ooh! I can calculate pi!! WooHoo!! :-/

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New ZX-80?
That one was pretty rudimentary.

My first machine was a ZX-81 (nominally 1Kb RAM, but I splurged and got the 16Kb pack.) It was good enough to send me down this career path.
     My first printer. - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
         How much did a new car cost then; $5,000? $10,000? So 10-20 % of the cost of a new car? -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
             Well, a new Chevrolet Citation was about $6K at that time. - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                 Yeah, the Citation, Cimarron, and their badge-engineered brethren from Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Agree on the fanfold paper. - (a6l6e6x)
                 For me it was $7032 including taxes and maybe some optional stuff. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                     This is the reverse of "the computer I want syndrome" - (crazy) - (3)
                         This was for hobby work at home. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Lots of commonality! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 ZX-80? - (scoenye)

Do not ask for whom the bellicose tolls.
69 ms